Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 11:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religious Tolerance
Tongue 
Religious Tolerance
I probably already posted this thread already (judging by the fact my computer remembered the title), but we need to be more tolerant to all religions, so whatever.

How far are you willing to go to be legitimately be tolerant of the beliefs of other people (instead of trying to make a show of it as I suspect many of you do here)? Would you accommodate their needs, respect their beliefs, join in their ceremonies?

I remember in the earlier days of Facebook, I created a page advocating for religious tolerance, but when someone mentioned it should be instead religious acceptance, I could not answer. I am willing to accommodate the needs of Moslems (provide tax funding so their children can religiously bath for their prayers in public schools so much better than the taxes I pay for American football), but I am unwilling to accept their religious beliefs. I also cannot stand the tenets of Buddhism...it seems like a sentence of Hell to live through their cycle of rebirth.

If religion means so much to someone, who are we to look down on their beliefs if it does not harm others, which let's be perfectly honest, does not for more than 99% of believers?
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
RE: Religious Tolerance
No.

http://www.moroccoworldnews.com/2014/08/...-soldiers/

Quote:Massive Massacre in Syria: ISIS Executes Over 250 Syrian Soldiers

Fuck 'em.
Down with religious tolerance!
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(August 28, 2014 at 9:07 pm)Polaris Wrote: I probably already posted this thread already (judging by the fact my computer remembered the title), but we need to be more tolerant to all religions, so whatever.

How far are you willing to go to be legitimately be tolerant of the beliefs of other people (instead of trying to make a show of it as I suspect many of you do here)? Would you accommodate their needs, respect their beliefs, join in their ceremonies?

I don't have any problem with anyone professing this or that belief, so long as they don't force it upon me. I don't Pledge Allegiance not becuase of "under god" but because I'm too old and disillusioned to vow support to any flagpole rag.

I won't take part in any religious ceremonies outside of weddings or funerals simply because I feel that that is a pretense not otherwise outweighed by the experiience of being at a life-changing event. I keep my mouth shut at weddings and funerals because they are not about me or my beliefs.

(August 28, 2014 at 9:07 pm)Polaris Wrote: If religion means so much to someone, who are we to look down on their beliefs if it does not harm others, which let's be perfectly honest, does not for more than 99% of believers?

I can dismiss beliefs without disrespecting the believer. It's a matter of common courtesy. I treat them as I wish to be treated, and don't disvuss my beliefs in public. If they initiate a discussion, I am plain-spoken about my faithlessness, but don't insult them for their faith. Being a decent person is not that hard, so I behave that way so long as I'm treated that way.

Well atheists don't have a book that tells them to kill or otherwise shun people who don't conform to our beliefs. It really depends on how invasive any particular religion is. I'm fine with you believing whatever you want. Just don't hassle me about not agreeing. Don't pass laws discriminating against people of other beliefs, ethnic groups, and so forth. Don't accuse us of being morally bankrupt because we don't get our morals from the same source you do.

As for people of different religions being tolerant of other religions, or other sects of the same religion, that's a bit hit or miss.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(August 28, 2014 at 9:09 pm)Minimalist Wrote: No.

http://www.moroccoworldnews.com/2014/08/...-soldiers/

Quote:Massive Massacre in Syria: ISIS Executes Over 250 Syrian Soldiers

Fuck 'em.

And how many have you fuckers killed?
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
You have to also realize that it goes both ways. religion also should tolerate what they see as being sinful, and it all depends on your own religion, most believe that all other religion have it wrong, so you need to tolerate that also.
Not enough apparently.

I'll tell you this. They have just guaranteed that Syrian soldiers will no longer surrender.
(August 28, 2014 at 9:45 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Not enough apparently.

How are you different than McCain?
I try to be for "religious tolerance" since most of the people I love most in the world are varying degrees of religious. But then I read the headlines of the day and wonder, just how much more of this can we tolerate before the human race is at risk?

The truth is my tolerance level shrinks with every atrocity, murder, terrorist attack, beheading, news of biological weapons, fatwa, and threat against us "infidels".

I have no answer for the religious violence in the world, but the sad fact is that it is all being done in the name of gods that do not exist. There is no more senseless murder than one done for religion. Soon, I fear, it will come down to a choice of doing away with religion to save any hope for a future, or having mankind be a short, forgotten, experiment in the evolution of intelligence in the cosmos.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  An Interesting Article on Religious Tolerance AFTT47 3 778 June 25, 2018 at 4:00 am
Last Post: Aroura
  Religious moderates enable religious extremists worldslaziestbusker 82 32881 October 24, 2013 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: Optimistic Mysanthrope
  Religious Tolerance Polaris 57 21445 September 6, 2012 at 10:37 pm
Last Post: jonb