Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 1:05 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An Interesting Article on Religious Tolerance
An Interesting Article on Religious Tolerance
https://aeon.co/essays/reciprocity-not-t...-societies

The author argues for reciprocity rather than tolerance, that the concept of tolerance is actually insulting.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
RE: An Interesting Article on Religious Tolerance
Very true...
But somehow, I don't think the sacred texts will be happy about it!

Unless of course we remove the word "infidel" from our lexicons...
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Fascinating article; never thought of the problem quite like that before, but tend to agree. Reciprocity strikes me as more active and functional, as well as reinforcing the value of reciprocity itself. I see tolerance more along the lines of "if we ignore them maybe they'll just go away," which isn't particularly useful.
I'm with Astreja. I had never considered the issue in that light before, but it makes perfect sense. Great article! It could help heal the wounds and the divides. Tolerance implies quite a lot of negative ideas. Reciprocity is more like enthusiastic inclusion. A much warmer acceptance. And it would eliminate the argument of tolerating intolerance. With reciprocity, those who are entirely intolerant are given less voice and less weight, because they aren't taking part in the give and take of an inclusive society, only in isolation.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Interesting correlation between God and light in major world religions... Ajay0 17 1816 May 24, 2019 at 4:10 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Had an interesting encounter with a so called Christian on social media today GODZILLA 16 2419 May 24, 2018 at 12:19 am
Last Post: Astreja
  RationalWiki article on Craig. Jehanne 56 17684 September 5, 2017 at 12:31 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Article about clergy who became atheists drfuzzy 38 9322 May 8, 2017 at 12:41 pm
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  An interesting Muslim-Atheist discussion on Religion and Rationality SuperSentient 10 2870 March 5, 2017 at 11:12 pm
Last Post: SuperSentient
  Brilliant article - good reading drfuzzy 8 3152 July 11, 2015 at 1:24 am
Last Post: Salacious B. Crumb
  Article: Would the world be better off without religion? Angrboda 25 5010 January 14, 2015 at 8:12 am
Last Post: Tonus
Tongue Religious Tolerance Polaris 115 10663 September 11, 2014 at 8:30 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Religious moderates enable religious extremists worldslaziestbusker 82 32463 October 24, 2013 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: Optimistic Mysanthrope
  An interesting view from Isaac Newton on prophecy professor 1 1512 October 20, 2013 at 10:11 am
Last Post: Something completely different