Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 3:45 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The 12 Coins Puzzle
The 12 Coins Puzzle
Just because you love it when I post mathematical puzzles, and also because I got two books packed full of them for Xmas Wink

Here is the problem:

You have 12 coins, each one indistinguishable from the other in terms of size and appearance, and all but one of them weighing the same. That is to say, 11 of them have the same weight, whilst one of them is either lighter or heavier than the rest.

You also have a pair of scales that measures accurately. Your quest is to find which coin is the oddly weighted one, and to determine whether it is heavier or lighter than the rest of the coins.

Here is the catch (and the puzzle):

You are only allowed to use the scales, and are only allowed 3 measurements in order to solve the puzzle.

By three measurements, I mean putting X number of coins on one side of the scales, and Y number on the other, and seeing whether the scales tilt to one side, or remain balanced. What groupings you put the coins into to measure them is totally up to you (so you could measure 11 coins against 1...but I wouldn't!), but after you have recorded three measurements, you have to reveal which coin has a different weight and whether that coin is heavier or lighter than the others.

Good luck Wink
RE: The 12 Coins Puzzle
Second attempts:

Split into 3 groups of 4, (X, Y, Z)

Scanario 1

(1st weigh)
If X = Y, Z = Anomaly

Split z in 4. z1, z2, z3, z4.

(2nd weigh)
Weigh Za and Zb

a) If za = zb, discard za and zc.
b) If za ≠ zb, discard zb and zd

We now have 2 groups with 1 coin each. za and zb, with weighted groups for each scenario

outcome A = zc is heavier and zd is lighter.
outcome B = za is heavier and zb is lighter.

(3rd weigh)

A) Weigh zb and zd.

If zb = zd. z1 is heavier and the anomaly.
Else = zb is the anomaly

B) Weigh za and zc

If za = zc. Zb is the anomaly
Else = za is the anomaly.

Scanario 2
(remember we have 3 groups of 4, X, Y and Z.)

(first weigh)
If X = Y, Z = anomaly group (shown above).

If X = Heavier (assuming for this example, just switch heavy with light here on in for the rest of the solution if otherwise), break X into 1,2,3,4 and Y into 5,6,7,8.

Separate into groups of 3, remember what group they were in but mix them up.

Group A = 156
Group B = 278
Group C = 34

(second weigh)

If A = B, Group C is anomaly group (solve this now by weighing one remaining coin against one known average coin, remember 3 and 4 were in the heavy group in this scenario. If scale is even the other coin is the anomaly, if 7 is light or heavy again it is the anomaly).

If A(156) = heavier and B = 278 is lighter, and since we already know that group A, which 1 is in, was the heavy side last time, then either i)1 is the Heavy coin or ii)7 or 8 are the light coin.

(Third weigh)

i) Weigh 7 against 8.

If 7 = 8, 1 is the anomaly
if 7 = heavier, 8 is the anomaly
If 8 = heavier then 7 is the anomaly

Is this correct Adrian?

First (failed) attempt:

Um, I think you're measuring them wayyy more than 3 times.

You can only weigh the coins 3 times, switching coins or groups counts as a weigh in.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
(January 20, 2010 at 8:34 pm)Eilonnwy Wrote: Um, I think you're measuring them wayyy more than 3 times.

You can only weigh the coins 3 times, switching coins or groups counts as a weigh in.

No he is not. The (1) (2) and (3) are when he is measuring. The rest is just hypothetical stuff and what you do to respond to each case.
In step 2a) please explain how you can split a group of 4 (Z) into 3 groups and make an accurate measurement. At some point surely you'll be weighing a group of 1 against a group of 2, and that won't tell you anything as the group of 2 will most likely always weigh more.

For instance, say you have the Z group: A, B, C, D.

You split it into Z1, Z2, and Z3 as follows:

Z1 = A
Z2 = B
Z3 = C, D

Let's suppose A is actually the odd coin, and it is heavier than the rest.

Weighing A against B (the second weighing) means that you don't get any information, since either A or B could be the odd coin (since the odd coin could also be lighter!). Weighing A against both C and D is a risk since it might not tell you anything. For example, assume the coin regular weight is 1, and A is a heavier coin at 1.5.

On the scale, the side with A on it would still go up when the other side has C and D (since the total weight is 2). Thus, you cannot say anything about the weight of coin A, since if A is of normal weight, the same tilt occurs.

Then...well, you don't have anymore weighings left.
To work through an example using your method:

Let A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J,K,L be the set of 12 coins. Let L have a heavier weight.

X = A,B,C,D
Y = E,F,G,H
Z = I,J,K,L

(1) X vs Y => Balance. (1st weighing)

==> a) Discard X and Y.

(2)

a) Split Z into groups of 2:

Z1 = I,J
Z2 = K,L

Place them on the scale (2nd weighing).

Z1 is the lighter side.

(3)

a) Replace the lightest scale's coin (there are two of them aren't there???) with any previous coins. I'll assume you mean replace one of the two coins.

Z1 = A,J (replacing I with A).

Z1 vs Z2 => Z2 is heavier. (3rd weighing).

Now you are stuck with Z2, and no way of knowing which is the heavier coin.

Also, what if the coin was a lighter one, and in step 3a you replace a normal coin with a normal coin? This means you have no idea whether the odd coin is on the heavy side, or the other coin on the lighter side.
I was in the process of typing it all out when you all responded, i got it done on paper in doodles in a minuet or so, took a long time to make sense of my abstract imagery.

Second attempts:

Split into 3 groups of 4, (X, Y, Z)

Scanario 1

(1st weigh)
If X = Y, Z = Anomaly

Split z in 4. za, zb, zc, zd.

(2nd weigh)
Weigh Za and Zb

a) If za = zb, discard za and zc.
b) If za ≠ zb, discard zb and zd

We now have 2 groups with 1 coin each. za and zb, with weighted groups for each scenario

outcome A = zc is heavier and zd is lighter.
outcome B = za is heavier and zb is lighter.

(3rd weigh)

A) Weigh zb and zd.

If zb = zd. za is heavier and the anomaly.
Else = zc is the anomaly

B) Weigh za and zc

If za = zc. Zb is the anomaly
Else = za is the anomaly.

Scanario 2
(remember we have 3 groups of 4, X, Y and Z.)

(first weigh)
If X = Y, Z = anomaly group (shown above).

If X = Heavier (assuming for this example, just switch heavy with light here on in for the rest of the solution if otherwise), break X into 1,2,3,4 and Y into 5,6,7,8.

Separate into groups of 3, remember what group they were in but mix them up.

Group A = 156
Group B = 278
Group C = 34

(second weigh)

If A = B, Group C is anomaly group (solve this now by weighing one remaining coin against one known average coin, remember 3 and 4 were in the heavy group in this scenario. If scale is even the other coin is the anomaly, if 7 is light or heavy again it is the anomaly).

If A(156) = heavier and B = 278 is lighter, and since we already know that group A, which 1 is in, was the heavy side last time, then either i)1 is the Heavy coin or ii)7 or 8 are the light coin.

(Third weigh)

i) Weigh 7 against 8.

If 7 = 8, 1 is the anomaly
if 7 = heavier, 8 is the anomaly
If 8 = heavier then 7 is the anomaly

Is this correct Adrian?

I hope it is... I've been racking my brain over this one, haven't done any real algebra in quite some time.

(January 20, 2010 at 8:34 pm)Eilonnwy Wrote: Um, I think you're measuring them wayyy more than 3 times.

You can remove all the coins from the scales, change the stacks and then weigh them again.

The other reason why it seemed like so many is because i have to account for all potential scenarios as there is an element of chance regarding where the anomaly is amongst the coins you weigh at any given moment.
Your scenario 2 works fine, but scenario 1 is flawed.

Suppose that Z = 1,2,3,4 and you've shown that X = Y in the 1st weighing.

Z1 = 1
Z2 = 2
Z3 = 3
Z4 = 4

Suppose that you weigh Z1 against Z2 (2nd weighing) and they are equal.

So you know that the odd coin is either in Z3 or Z4. You then weight Z3 against a known "good" coin and it is equal. All this leaves you with is that Z4 is the anomaly, but you don't know whether it is heavier or lighter.

I might have misunderstood your method though, since you seem to have made mistakes in labelling (for instance, if za = zb I don't understand why you'd discard za and zc...surely discarding za and zb would be better?)

If possible, could you write it in a form of "If X=Y GOTO (4)" or something like that. A step by step algorithm that points you in the right direction. Yours is all over the place at the moment :S
I'll give you a clue to the easiest way of doing it:

Woah, i was just waiting for you to shut me down on scenario 2! I'm surprised 1 was wrong, but i'm stoned so i sorta fleshed it out as i thought about it, but i just had a bong, feeling like more math, strangely Smile

12 Coins

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 , 12

*weigh 1234 and 5678*

Part A

If '1,2,3,4' = '5,6,7,8'
then '9,10,11,12' = Anomaly

*weigh ''7,8,9,10' and '12,11,1,2'*

if '7,8,9,10' > '12,11,1,2'
then '9,10' = Anomaly

*weigh 9,8*
if 9 = 8
then 8= anomaly

if 9 > 8
then 9 = anomaly

Part B

*weigh 1234 and 5678*

If '1,2,3,4' = '5,6,7,8'
then '9,10,11,12' = Anomaly

Set aside '7,8'

*weigh '1,9,10' and '2'11'12'

i)

if '1,9,10' = '1,11,12'
'7,8' = anomaly

*weigh '1,7' and '2,8'*

if '1,7' > 2,8'
then 7 = anomaly

ii)

If 1,9,10 > '1,11,12
then '9,10' = anomaly

*weigh '1,9,' and '2,10'*

if '1,9' > '2,10'
then 9 = anomaly

correct?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Loan Interest Payment Puzzle / Question Tiberius 34 6743 May 5, 2017 at 10:16 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  [3 Switch 3 Bulb] Puzzle ErGingerbreadMandude 15 4766 July 9, 2015 at 12:20 pm
Last Post: KUSA
  Tricky Number Sequence Puzzle GrandizerII 16 6008 January 20, 2015 at 2:35 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Blue Eyes - "The Hardest Logic Puzzle in the World" Tiberius 3 6530 March 30, 2011 at 5:34 am
Last Post: theVOID
  The "classic" counterfiet coin puzzle jvwert 18 8638 December 7, 2010 at 12:08 am
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  number puzzle 1-8 aufis 5 12912 April 24, 2010 at 6:44 am
Last Post: aufis