Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 10:30 am

Poll: What's your reaction
This poll is closed.
Huzzah!!!!
10.00%
1 10.00%
Meh.
90.00%
9 90.00%
BOO!
0%
0 0%
Total 10 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Apple Event
The Apple Event
At the most watched Apple event of all time (both live on Apple's website and on the Apple Events Apple TV channel), the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus were first announced, as well as ApplePay, Apple Watch, and U2's album Songs of Innocence. I didn't get to watch it live on my Apple TV because it kept freezing every thirty seconds (boo), so I instead tracked it on Engadget's auto-refreshing live blog.

I'm pretty meh about the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus right now. They're just what I thought they would be- thinner phones with a bigger and sharper screen, better processor, better camera, you know the deal. It's really hard to get excited about a phone nowadays since every company, including Apple, is iterating rather than innovating on that front. I already have the iPhone 5S and my parents just got themselves iPhone 5S's so I think I might wait until my Verizon upgrade cycle allows me to upgrade to the 6 Plus or until I can't update the iOS on my 5S, possibly whichever comes last.

I'm more excited about iOS 8, which is coming September 17th. Of course, all the shiniest features like ApplePay with NFC (FINALLY!) are exclusive to the 6 and Plus, but you can grab iOS 8 on your iPad 2 (yeah, that hunk of junk!) or later and iPhone 4S (that OTHER hunk of junk!) or later. I would say it seems worth it. Being able to send audio messages in the Messages app, having a smarter keyboard, and store your app files in iCloud Drive seems small, especially if you don't have an iPad and/or a Mac to benefit from the interconnectivity features like handing off activities between iPhones and iPads or answering a phone call on your iPad, but the security updates alone will definitely prove worth the upgrade.

And I was on the edge of my seat for the Apple Watch (what, was iWatch taken?!) reveal. I think that the Digital Crown that allows you to use a dial like on analog watches to replace pinch to zoom on such a small screen is really clever. I can't give you much more impressions (nobody can really), but the fitness apps seem good, everything appears scaled just right, the Siri integration will definitely help out a lot...color me excited, especially since it can interface with an iPhone 5 or later.

Finally, I was thrown by the surprise U2 album. Giving away an album from one of my and my family's favorite bands for free to all 500 million iTunes customers (and later making it available to stream on iTunes Radio and new Apple pet music service Beats Music) makes history in a way nothing else in this announcement did and is basically like Thanksgiving come early. They've given the album to everyone who has an iOS device or a Mac or PC running iTunes, and you can download it for free or play it over iCloud until October 19th (the CD release is slated for October 13th). I've been listening to the entire thing and trust me, this is some of the band's best work and it's one freebie you do NOT want to miss out on.
Luke: You don't believe in the Force, do you?

Han Solo: Kid, I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other, and I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen *anything* to make me believe that there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. 'Cause no mystical energy field controls *my* destiny. It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.
RE: The Apple Event
[Image: HqNVrNg.jpg]

Just because apple are no longer innovating, or should I say spending a lot on design and advertising technology taken from elsewhere.... doesn't mean that innovation, the real kind isn't going on elsewhere.
Damn! I thought that was the garden of Eden stuff! Angry
Really, only 750p resolution?! I thought the 5S had gotten up to 1080p for some stupid reason Sad.

Han Solo: Kid, I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other, and I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen *anything* to make me believe that there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. 'Cause no mystical energy field controls *my* destiny. It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.
(September 9, 2014 at 4:59 pm)fr0d0 Wrote:

Just because apple are no longer innovating, or should I say spending a lot on design and advertising technology taken from elsewhere.... doesn't mean that innovation, the real kind isn't going on elsewhere.

Coincidentally, I have a nearly two year old Nexus 4 (purchased in December, 2012) that I just replaced with a Nexus 5 (full 1080p screen). Work gave me an iPhone 5 around the same time frame - I have no idea which box it got packed in during my recent move, nor do I particularly care. It'll turn up sooner or later and get pitched into a drawer and forgotten.

I played with it a bit when I first got it, and had an epiphany "Ah, now I remember why I ditched the iPhone for an android years ago".
(September 9, 2014 at 5:11 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:
(September 9, 2014 at 4:59 pm)fr0d0 Wrote:

Coincidentally, I have a nearly two year old Nexus 4 (purchased in December, 2012) that I just replaced with a Nexus 5 (full 1080p screen). Work gave me an iPhone 5 around the same time frame - I have no idea which box it got packed in during my recent move, nor do I particularly care. It'll turn up sooner or later and get pitched into a drawer and forgotten.

I played with it a bit when I first got it, and had an epiphany "Ah, now I remember why I ditched the iPhone for an android years ago".

I mostly like the iPhone because of all the different apps for it, and the fact that I'm now in Apple's world with my iPhone, iPad, Mac, and Apple TV. The few gaps in my entertainment cabinet are filled by my Blu-ray player, but I also understand the weaknesses of iPhones vs. Android.

(September 9, 2014 at 5:22 pm)StealthySkeptic Wrote: I mostly like the iPhone because of all the different apps for it, and the fact that I'm now in Apple's world with my iPhone, iPad, Mac, and Apple TV. The few gaps in my entertainment cabinet are filled by my Blu-ray player, but I also understand the weaknesses of iPhones vs. Android.

Sure, if you're willing to buy a bunch of Apple shit, yeah it plays together very, very well. That's kind of the deal with proprietary products. Want it to play well with other things? Fuck you.

Want to use it without iTunes? Fuck you.
Want to side-load apps? Fuck you.
Want to develop for it? Buy a Mac. Oh, and pay us.
We don't like the user experience of an app you wrote? Fuck you.
Want to run something other than Safari as your browser? Fuck you. (Yes, I'm aware that other browsers exists for IOS - but they're all Safari skins.)

Neat products, but Apple's walled garden and proprietary architecture sucks donkey balls.
I hate Android more. Even on motherfucking cut and paste it is fubar for UX.

Want to select all? Fuck you - drag the fucking bounding box.

Ok, why won't the bounding box autoscroll up? Fuck you - drag it yourself.

Want a consistent UI? Hahaha, no.
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
(September 9, 2014 at 5:41 pm)Moros Synackaon Wrote: I hate Android more. Even on motherfucking cut and paste it is fubar for UX.

Have no fear, I have plenty of arrows to sling at Android as well - but in terms of openness, it wins over IOS.

(September 9, 2014 at 5:41 pm)Moros Synackaon Wrote: Want to select all? Fuck you - drag the fucking bounding box.

What version are you talking about? I just double-checked my phone, and I definitely have a select-all icon that works.

(September 9, 2014 at 5:41 pm)Moros Synackaon Wrote: Ok, why won't the bounding box autoscroll up? Fuck you - drag it yourself.

Yeah, that's a big pain in the ass.

(September 9, 2014 at 5:41 pm)Moros Synackaon Wrote: Want a consistent UI? Hahaha, no.

No argument there.
(September 9, 2014 at 5:35 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:
(September 9, 2014 at 5:22 pm)StealthySkeptic Wrote: I mostly like the iPhone because of all the different apps for it, and the fact that I'm now in Apple's world with my iPhone, iPad, Mac, and Apple TV. The few gaps in my entertainment cabinet are filled by my Blu-ray player, but I also understand the weaknesses of iPhones vs. Android.

Sure, if you're willing to buy a bunch of Apple shit, yeah it plays together very, very well. That's kind of the deal with proprietary products. Want it to play well with other things? Fuck you.

Want to use it without iTunes? Fuck you.
Want to side-load apps? Fuck you.
Want to develop for it? Buy a Mac. Oh, and pay us.
We don't like the user experience of an app you wrote? Fuck you.
Want to run something other than Safari as your browser? Fuck you. (Yes, I'm aware that other browsers exists for IOS - but they're all Safari skins.)

Neat products, but Apple's walled garden and proprietary architecture sucks donkey balls.

If I wanted to get out of said walled garden, Cydia would be the way to do it. Yeah, I understand that shouldn't have to be the case, but I just want my phone and tablet to work consistently, which the iStuff does (most of the time) and my heavy computing and modding is all done on my Mac.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apple computer! zebo-the-fat 8 666 September 22, 2023 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: SuperSentient
  Apple vs everyone else Spongebob 10 782 October 3, 2021 at 9:46 am
Last Post: Spongebob
  Fuck Apple bennyboy 31 3882 July 7, 2016 at 10:45 pm
Last Post: account_inactive
  Apple's response to climate-deniers Clueless Morgan 16 2615 March 14, 2014 at 12:53 pm
Last Post: Chas
  Apple Vc PC SavageNerdz 67 22779 April 11, 2012 at 10:17 pm
Last Post: Rob
  Apple App Store about to hit 25b downloads Chuff 0 902 March 2, 2012 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Chuff