Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 8:45 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Apple vs everyone else
Apple vs everyone else
This thread is likely a rehash and I apologize if it is so.  I'm curious who here is an Apple fan versus other brands, and I'm open to PC platforms as well as phones.  Which hardware and/or software do you prefer and why and I would prefer this not to degenerate into conspiracies, just speak from your experience about what you like and dislike about the brands.  I have used both Apple computers and phones as well as Windows computers, Linux, and Android phones, so I have a broad range of experiences and will throw in the details later.
Why is it so?
~Julius Sumner Miller
RE: Apple vs everyone else
(October 2, 2021 at 11:25 am)Spongebob Wrote: This thread is likely a rehash and I apologize if it is so.  I'm curious who here is an Apple fan versus other brands, and I'm open to PC platforms as well as phones.  Which hardware and/or software do you prefer and why and I would prefer this not to degenerate into conspiracies, just speak from your experience about what you like and dislike about the brands.  I have used both Apple computers and phones as well as Windows computers, Linux, and Android phones, so I have a broad range of experiences and will throw in the details later.

I have an iPhone and a PC. No brand loyalty whatsoever. 

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(October 2, 2021 at 11:25 am)Spongebob Wrote: This thread is likely a rehash and I apologize if it is so.  I'm curious who here is an Apple fan versus other brands, and I'm open to PC platforms as well as phones.  Which hardware and/or software do you prefer and why and I would prefer this not to degenerate into conspiracies, just speak from your experience about what you like and dislike about the brands.  I have used both Apple computers and phones as well as Windows computers, Linux, and Android phones, so I have a broad range of experiences and will throw in the details later.

I don't know about "fan", I can only say I've only limited experience with Apple. In my business life I evolved with PC, that's what I know, that's what I'm comfortable with in my dotage. My kid's is an Apple guy all the way when it comes to personal use. But he's going to school for and makes a living from teaching, monitoring and fixing PC.

My wife loves Apple, but she's only a player/surfer.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I think a better distinction exists between Apple and poor quality non-Apple stuff, as that's what most people are comparing it to. Apple makes quality stuff, as long as you're willing to pay for it. If you're willing to pay for it, you can get quality PC stuff as well. The main difference is in software. The PC software market is driven by bottom feeders to an extent that Apple is not. Though things might have changed over the years, as my experience with Apple has mostly been second-hand for a long time.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
I rewired my old Atari 2600, I think it created the internet.
(October 2, 2021 at 11:51 am)Angrboda Wrote: I think a better distinction exists between Apple and poor quality non-Apple stuff, as that's what most people are comparing it to.  Apple makes quality stuff, as long as you're willing to pay for it.  If you're willing to pay for it, you can get quality PC stuff as well.  The main difference is in software.  

This is a good point, boda.  There are a plethora of low end devices that can run Windows, but there's no corollary with Apple.  There's no third party hardware running Apple for the most part; I'm sure some hackers have done so.  So yes, hardware comparisons should be made on equivalent quality hardware.

Quote:The PC software market is driven by bottom feeders to an extent that Apple is not.  Though things might have changed over the years, as my experience with Apple has mostly been second-hand for a long time.

I'm not sure what you mean here.  Are you speaking about the low end hardware?  If that's the case then no, I don't think its changed much at all.  There are still both high quality and cheap devices running Windows but Apple is Apple.

(October 2, 2021 at 11:46 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:

I have an iPhone and a PC. No brand loyalty whatsoever. 

Boru

I would say that describes my position as well.  No brand loyalty, but definitely a preference for quality devices/software.  Whichever can deliver, I'm interested.
Why is it so?
~Julius Sumner Miller
I also have an iPhone and use a PC. I like the phones a lot and went to them when I moved to the smart phone. I have never used an android.

My experience with a Mac is pretty limited with one contract assignment, I don't know enough to say it was good or bad. However, the cost of a Mac pretty much keeps me from looking any further into them.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

My one experience with a Mac computer was in '91. I was writing FORTRAN code. That thing crashed on a regular basis; I got to the point that I saved after every carriage return. It may well be because it was shielded to keep it from emitting RF as a security concern. Maybe it made it run hot, I don't know. But it soured me on anything made by Apple. I did break down and buy an iPod many years ago, and that thing crashes, too.

As for platforms, I've used everything from just plain PCs to DEC PDP-11, VAX 750, 780, 8000 series, IBM 360 and Crays. I have a Lenovo laptop and I just bought an "All-in-One" to replace it because it's about 10 years old and the keyboard is wearing out. No complaints, other than that. I hope my new machine lasts that long!
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
(October 2, 2021 at 2:58 pm)Fireball Wrote: My one experience with a Mac computer was in '91. I was writing FORTRAN code. That thing crashed on a regular basis; I got to the point that I saved after every carriage return. It may well be because it was shielded to keep it from emitting RF as a security concern. Maybe it made it run hot, I don't know. But it soured me on anything made by Apple. I did break down and buy an iPod many years ago, and that thing crashes, too.

As for platforms, I've used everything from just plain PCs to DEC PDP-11, VAX 750, 780, 8000 series, IBM 360 and Crays. I have a Lenovo laptop and I just bought an "All-in-One" to replace it because it's about 10 years old and the keyboard is wearing out. No complaints, other than that. I hope my new machine lasts that long!

That sounds like an unusual experience with an Apple product; most of the time they are solid.  I owned an early Macintosh and used them at work for a while and they were exceptional machines compared to the equivalent machine running DOS at the time.  This was before Windows 95 hit the market and the experience with a Macintosh was years ahead anything Mircrosoft had to offer.  I only say this because I learned most of my early computing skills on DOS machines, VAX systems, and the Commodore 64, but got exposed to the early Macintosh around 1989.

As a side note, years ago my sister was using some old crappy Windows machine and every other week she was calling me in a panic with some computer problem.  I got really tired of being her tech support, so I suggested she throw that thing away and buy a Machintosh.  This was around 2000.  She did and after that I never got another tech support call from her again.  I didn't own an Apple at the time and figured I could claim ignorance if she did call.
Why is it so?
~Julius Sumner Miller
I tried the Apple phone once. It was overrated. So I went back to Android.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apple computer! zebo-the-fat 8 637 September 22, 2023 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: SuperSentient
  Is anyone else having this problem today? Brian37 10 938 May 4, 2022 at 5:48 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Is anyone else having a problem with Facebook? Brian37 5 753 March 15, 2018 at 1:03 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Fuck Apple bennyboy 31 3844 July 7, 2016 at 10:45 pm
Last Post: account_inactive
  The Apple Event StealthySkeptic 17 3391 September 9, 2014 at 9:47 pm
Last Post: StealthySkeptic
  Anyone else having "adblock" Firefox problems? Foxaèr 16 4595 August 20, 2014 at 8:31 pm
Last Post: StealthySkeptic
  Apple's response to climate-deniers Clueless Morgan 16 2577 March 14, 2014 at 12:53 pm
Last Post: Chas
  Apple Vc PC SavageNerdz 67 22698 April 11, 2012 at 10:17 pm
Last Post: Rob
  Apple App Store about to hit 25b downloads Chuff 0 898 March 2, 2012 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Chuff