Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 6:58 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Darwin Proven Wrong?
Darwin Proven Wrong?
Public opinion in science over the past hundred years is that Darwn's theory of evolution is "true". It seems to be widely accepted because of it’s simplicity. But is it actually true?

New evidence suggests that gene mutations can either be expressed to some degree or silenced based on the specific circumstances of each individual organism. This evidence, therefore, seems to negate the assumed “truth” that gene mutations are responsible for evolution of life and the differentiation of species on earth.

Further, epigeneticists are now reporting evidence that gene expression is dynamic and influenced by all aspects of the environment. The expression markers are said to change regularly within a single lifetime as a result of environmental stimuli. This new evidence now leaves open to question every possible variable imaginable as being influential in the development and life of the organism, even those mysterious unknowns (“dark matter”, “dark energy”, “god”, “chi”, “cosmic rays”, etc).

I'm curious as to atheist perspective on this, as "atheism" seems to be a very absolute with regard to a perspective on what "cannot possibly be".
RE: Darwin Proven Wrong?
False premise, with hint of desperate intentional misinterpretation, leading to false conclusions, with a hint of deliberate stretch even starting from the false premise.

Try again.
You're going to need to provide this new evidence that points to mutations and epigenetics as proof against evolution.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
If there was any credible threat to the theory of evolution it would be front page news and scientists the world over would be involved in the discussion.

Please share your sources. Until then I conclude that your assertions are baseless.
Darwin's theory is true as much as Newton's laws of motion are. That is to say, they're not. We know Newton's laws can only make accurate predictions with light objects moving at small speeds. Darwin's theory doesn't mention anything about genes or mutations because there were no such concepts at the time (or, if there were, he didn't even consider them). The theory of evolution we have now is different than Darwin's.

We know enough about dark matter and energy, as well as cosmic rays, to know that they don't affect anything on Earth. Supernatural concepts are BS, as they have no evidence for their existence. They're not "mysterious unknowns" because they don't exist.

I have no idea what the last sentence of your post means.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?

[Image: LB_Header_Idea_A.jpg]
Face it evolution is true. What the real question is, what caused DNA to even be a code for life, what mechanics in physics allows for life, and do these laws of physics and origins of the universe have an origin point. Mind you the only thing about any of this to point to a deity would be a programmer who programmed a simulation and pressed play. Now that is where the discussion of metaphysics and speculations needs to reside. However, this notion that evolution is disproven is tiring. Also, to summarize the universe is vast and we are so tiny, I do not get the irrational drive to hold on to this feeling of significance. (Sorry if it sounds like rambling)
[Image: grumpy-cat-and-jesus-meme-died-for-sins.jpg]

I would be a televangelist....but I have too much of a soul.
I don't think Darwin ever knew anything about genetics. Did we even know about genetics when he came up with the theory of natural selection? Or did we even have the tools necessary to see genes or chromosomes?

All Darwin said was that creatures change over time and that the creatures that change to best suit their environment survive and thrive while those who aren't as well suited die off. That's it. Whatever you want to call that process is fine with me, but most intelligent people call it evolution.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
(September 11, 2014 at 12:03 pm)sswhateverlove Wrote: Public opinion in science over the past hundred years is that Darwn's theory of evolution is "true". It seems to be widely accepted because of it’s simplicity. But is it actually true?

New evidence suggests that gene mutations can either be expressed to some degree or silenced based on the specific circumstances of each individual organism. This evidence, therefore, seems to negate the assumed “truth” that gene mutations are responsible for evolution of life and the differentiation of species on earth.

Uhh... And how exactly would this negate that gene mutations are responsible for evolution? Gene expression is the expression of genes; namely, how much a gene is translated into a protein, and what happens to the product of the translation. It has nothing to do with the inheritance and the mutation of the gene.

(September 11, 2014 at 12:03 pm)sswhateverlove Wrote: Further, epigeneticists are now reporting evidence that gene expression is dynamic and influenced by all aspects of the environment. The expression markers are said to change regularly within a single lifetime as a result of environmental stimuli. This new evidence now leaves open to question every possible variable imaginable as being influential in the development and life of the organism, even those mysterious unknowns (“dark matter”, “dark energy”, “god”, “chi”, “cosmic rays”, etc).

I'm curious as to atheist perspective on this, as "atheism" seems to be a very absolute with regard to a perspective on what "cannot possibly be".

Also, epigenetic mechanisms like silencing etc. are influenced by other biochemical pathways of the organism which, guess what, always come from the organism's genome anyway. This is why whilst there may be some degrees of variation (which are in fact determined by the environment) in the expression of genes, the outcomes are still pretty much predictable.

I find your argumentations devoid of any content and your motives... questionable.
"Every luxury has a deep price. Every indulgence, a cosmic cost. Each fiber of pleasure you experience causes equivalent pain somewhere else. This is the first law of emodynamics [sic]. Joy can be neither created nor destroyed. The balance of happiness is constant.

Fact: Every time you eat a bite of cake, someone gets horsewhipped.

Facter: Every time two people kiss, an orphanage collapses.

Factest: Every time a baby is born, an innocent animal is severely mocked for its physical appearance. Don't be a pleasure hog. Your every smile is a dagger. Happiness is murder.

Vote "yes" on Proposition 1321. Think of some kids. Some kids."
(September 11, 2014 at 12:03 pm)sswhateverlove Wrote: Public opinion in science over the past hundred years is that Darwn's theory of evolution is "true". It seems to be widely accepted because of it’s simplicity. But is it actually true?
The Theory of Evolution is an explanation based the facts and knowledge that we have. It has probably been changed many times since Darwin introduced it. It may continue to change as scientists learn and discover more about the world and the organisms that did and do live on it.

It doesn't persist due to "public opinion in science" nor on how simple or complex it sounds. It persists because at present it does the best job of explaining how the facts we have explain the diversity of life on the planet. If someone has a better theory they are free to present it and have it scrutinized. Perhaps you can start by explaining how the information you offered affects the existing theory, and maybe even presenting an alternative of your own.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
Given that the OP provided no citations for his claims he should count himself lucky he's gotten the length of responses he has. Without citations, he sounds like yet another person who mistakes their wild assertions for evidence. Rolleyes
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evolution "fails" AKA "where god seems to have got it wrong" Duty 44 2091 February 6, 2022 at 8:56 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  What's wrong with Japanese Dogs? purplepurpose 14 1302 July 29, 2018 at 9:30 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  This is just wrong brewer 59 7226 December 22, 2016 at 11:22 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Darwin's Voyage on the Beagle, droll dramatization Alex K 2 823 September 17, 2016 at 9:45 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Scientific Debate: Why I assert that Darwin's theory of evolution is false Rob216 206 35908 November 10, 2014 at 2:02 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Evolution 'proved' wrong BlackSwordsman 46 6985 June 20, 2014 at 7:13 am
Last Post: vodkafan
  Did Darwin get it wrong? Zone 20 4590 September 19, 2013 at 9:58 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Genesis Creation vs. Darwin's Macroevolution Myth Alter2Ego 190 73488 August 23, 2013 at 6:14 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Darwin Day KichigaiNeko 2 1464 February 8, 2013 at 8:25 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
Tongue What's right (wrong?) with me? Tea Earl Grey Hot 9 2311 December 15, 2012 at 8:09 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger