Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 9:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recommended Atheist Literature
Recommended Atheist Literature
Hi All,

Noob and recent deconvert here. I was wondering if anyone could recommend good literature on Atheism? Mainly interested in reading about Science vs Creationism, and Atheism vs Religion etc.

Thanks all.

Patrick
RE: Recommended Atheist Literature
Start with Chris Hitchens "God is Not Great" and go from there.
There are several great video series on youtube by Aron Ra, and others which contain great information, and being visual in nature, I find them much more interesting and to-the-point.
(September 19, 2014 at 3:32 pm)MrQuinlan Wrote: Hi All,

Noob and recent deconvert here. I was wondering if anyone could recommend good literature on Atheism? Mainly interested in reading about Science vs Creationism, and Atheism vs Religion etc.

Thanks all.

Patrick

There is no handbook on being an atheist.
Welcome to AF. Smile

These aren't religion vs science books, but here are some of my favorite science reads that contain ideas which aren't widely accepted by the religious minded:

Why Evolution is True by Jerry Coyne
The Story of the Human Body by Daniel Lieberman
The Emergence of Life by Pier Luigi Luisi
What is Life? By Addy Pross
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
Just reading science books will make you a dull Atheist. Mix in some exciting fiction or true life experiences! Fight Club by Chuck Paluhniuk. Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson. The Forgotten Soldier by Guy Sajer. (16 year old boy fighting for the Germans on the Russian Front)The Odd Women or anything else by George Gissing. He lived at the sharp end. His first wife was a prostitute drunk who gave the poor guy VD for his troubles. Anything by Jack Vance. Love all his work which pokes fun at religion in general. Quantum Physics Cannot Hurt You by Marcus Chown.
It's not immoral to eat meat, abort a fetus or love someone of the same sex...I think that about covers it
Thanks all. I was just looking for good literature to better educate myself. Really appreciate the feedback all Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheists who have never read common atheist literature ComradeMeow 68 9810 March 2, 2017 at 4:46 pm
Last Post: Cephus
  Recommended Readings for a Beginning Atheist OGirly 33 6043 March 18, 2014 at 1:18 pm
Last Post: Cyberman