Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 4:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mathematical proof..
Mathematical proof..
How do they work? I mean what does one have to do in order to come up with a proof?

For example, I think I can show why the four colour theorem only needs four colours.

Firstly, has it been proven already? And also, what proof would I need to give and in what format?

Thanks.
RE: Mathematical proof..
You take the rules of the system, you plug in variables, and show that by following those rules those variables yield 'x".
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Four color problem already solved.

IIRC, that one was done by a computer.
(September 25, 2014 at 5:05 pm)Rhythm Wrote: You take the rules of the system, you plug in variables, and show that by following those rules those variables yield 'x".

So how would that work with the four colour theorem? What proof would you need?
(September 25, 2014 at 5:05 pm)Rhythm Wrote: You take the rules of the system, you plug in variables, and show that by following those rules those variables yield 'x".

Exactly. In principle you start with

1. Axioms which are defined as true and

2. rules of logic which allow you to generate new true statements from known true statements.

You then try to find a logical chain from the axioms to the theorem youd like to prove. If you find one, it's proven.

In reality, it's often messier cause no mathematician sticks to making all elementary steps explicitely, which would take forever. By using natural Language and shortcuts, it becomes harder to check which steps in a proof are valid.

The art is in formulating the question properly and finding intermediate steps which get you closer to the desired theorem. Sometes, proving seemingly completely unrelated intermediate "lemmas" suddenly open a path to the actual goal because they can be applied to it somehow.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(September 25, 2014 at 5:13 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: Four color problem already solved.

Any chance of a link? I did my solution in my head in about half an hour
(September 25, 2014 at 5:21 pm)lifesagift Wrote:
(September 25, 2014 at 5:13 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: Four color problem already solved.

Any chance of a link? I did my solution in my head in about half an hour

Cool, why don't you post it, then we can pick it apart Smile
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

Lol.. not giving it away...just need to know how to represent it
(September 25, 2014 at 5:38 pm)lifesagift Wrote: Lol.. not giving it away...just need to know how to represent it
Too bad.

I'd say -
Start by introducing unambiguous names for the objects you deal with and their relationships and properties. Then formulate the theorem you want to prove in those terms.

But if I said it was a special paint for example? how would I have to describe that paint?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A mathematical problem I can't seem to get Mathematica to auto solve. highdimensionman 6 1074 May 22, 2022 at 1:10 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  Mathematical Genius: Who Are Humanity's Current Mathematical Geniuses? Kernel Sohcahtoa 13 1850 July 12, 2018 at 10:59 pm
Last Post: Kernel Sohcahtoa
  The Mathematical Proof Thread Kernel Sohcahtoa 67 13361 July 6, 2018 at 8:37 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Mathematical proof of the existence of God JudgeDracoAmunRa 20 12629 March 30, 2012 at 11:43 am
Last Post: JudgeDracoAmunRa
  Spot the Mathematical Fallacy Tiberius 16 7131 March 25, 2010 at 6:57 am
Last Post: Violet
  Mathematical claims of 'Bible Codes'...is there any truth in the maths? CoxRox 12 8514 January 9, 2009 at 5:23 pm
Last Post: Tiberius