Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 3:07 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christian motivations for joining AF
Christian motivations for joining AF
So, like the title suggests, this thread is about what gives a christian the desire to participate in atheist forums such as this one. I've listed some of my ideas, but I'd like to genuine responses especially from christian's or other's of a different faith. Purely for interest:

a) Save non-believers (conversions, if possible)

b) Raise awareness of God, Jesus, etc (show God's love extends to all)

c) To face the toughest critics in order to strengthen the self against personal skepticism (build resilience)

d) To have insightful discussion outside your religious community (seeking rational conversation)

e) To come to understand the world as atheists do (searching for answers/adventure)
Coming soon: Banner image-link to new anti-islam forum.
RE: Christian motivations for joining AF
f) troll - there is that one guy who trolls here a lot... Mabus I think it is?

g) test debate strategies for future debates
h) to discuss religion with people who are really interested in it
Ok better list now:
(January 27, 2010 at 7:21 pm)TruthWorthy Wrote: a) Save non-believers (conversions, if possible)

b) Raise awareness of God, Jesus, etc (show God's love extends to all)

c) To face the toughest critics in order to strengthen the self against personal skepticism (build resilience)

d) To have insightful discussion outside your religious community (seeking rational conversation)

e) To come to understand the world as atheists do (searching for answers/adventure)
(January 27, 2010 at 7:29 pm)Zhalentine Wrote: f) troll - there is that one guy who trolls here a lot... Mabus I think it is?

g) test debate strategies for future debates

(January 27, 2010 at 7:38 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: h) to discuss religion with people who are really interested in it
Ok but why choose the atheist forums for this, of all people who are interested??
(January 27, 2010 at 7:39 pm)TruthWorthy Wrote: Ok but why choose the atheist forums for this, of all people who are interested??

Here it's possible to get to the core. Faith heads only want to further a train of thought.

I like to learn stuff about Christianity and have plenty of heroes there to check out. Mutual ego stroking doesn't attract me, and I haven't found anywhere online that doesn't fail there.
So you enjoy the conflict/arguments because you don't want your opinions reinforced by others - you want them challenged?
d, e, and h apply to me most accurately.

My reason in joining this forum was for the purpose of understanding and learning about the Atheist view-point, since I myself am not one(although for a time I considered myself one.)

Another reason is that I love talking about my own beliefs and believe that talking with someone smarter than oneself is the most effective way to grow and expand.
(January 27, 2010 at 7:50 pm)TruthWorthy Wrote: So you enjoy the conflict/arguments because you don't want your opinions reinforced by others - you want them challenged?

s'pose yeah.
(January 27, 2010 at 8:31 pm)fr0d0 Wrote:
(January 27, 2010 at 7:50 pm)TruthWorthy Wrote: So you enjoy the conflict/arguments because you don't want your opinions reinforced by others - you want them challenged?

s'pose yeah.

Now I have to ask whether the motivation in argument/conflict of ideas is motivated by either the argument for the sake of persuasion/arguement, or for the outcome of improving your personal understanding/outlook.

Sorry, I'm just inquisitive by nature.
It's all with a view to furthering my understanding. Mostly atheists are pretty ignorant of religion, so that's a hurdle.. but essentially they're interested in the real thing despite this... and so am I.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How much pre-joining lurking did you do before you joined AF.org? Whateverist 35 4103 August 30, 2015 at 9:19 am
Last Post: AFTT47
  Facebook blocked me from joining and posting to groups ashgirl22 21 3790 September 24, 2014 at 3:22 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  Look who is joining the fair and balanced news network. leo-rcc 125 41517 February 16, 2010 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: leo-rcc