Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 2:42 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone know a good recent western rpg?
Anyone know a good recent western rpg?
I have this old rpg called Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magic Obscura. I like it because you can make several different characters, and the game has a path you can take through the main story that fits just about any character archetype.

I've been looking around Steam for a game like that, but I'm just not sure if the ones on the list are like that. Does anyone play those kinds of game, and can you recommend one?
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

RE: Anyone know a good recent western rpg?
(October 31, 2014 at 10:48 am)Chad32 Wrote: I have this old rpg called Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magic Obscura. I like it because you can make several different characters, and the game has a path you can take through the main story that fits just about any character archetype.

I've been looking around Steam for a game like that, but I'm just not sure if the ones on the list are like that. Does anyone play those kinds of game, and can you recommend one?

Arcanum is an excellent game, nothing quite like it. I'm going to assume that you've already tried the Baldur's Gate series & Fallout 1 & 2. Temple of Elemental Evil (also made by Troikia) is great after you patch it with the Circle of Eight mod/patch. Wasteland 2 is pretty damn good, but it's party-based & not a fantasy setting. Divinity: Original Sin is a fantasy setting, but it's a bit heavier on tactics than role-playing.

The Mask of the Betrayer & Storm of Zehir expansions for Neverwinter Nights 2 may also scratch your itch.
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal
(October 31, 2014 at 10:48 am)Chad32 Wrote: I have this old rpg called Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magic Obscura. I like it because you can make several different characters, and the game has a path you can take through the main story that fits just about any character archetype.

Elder Scrolls Online is excellent. I've been playing it solo for months and months, I have 6 characters. Massive game-play area, I've still not covered it all.

If you like the Steam-punk type retro-industrial feel then I loved the look, feel and playability of Arkane Studio's Dishonored (on Steam). My only gripe with this is it's a little short but does stand re-playing a few times. Plus, there are now some expansion packs available which will give the gameplay a little more longevity.

Diablo III is fun but again is designed for repeat play so it a little on the short side.

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)
I've heard of Fallout and Baldur's Gate, but I don't know much about them. I'll check them out. I did play Neverwinter Nights, and it was pretty fun, though I didn't get NW2.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll take a look at them.

I'm looking for more of a single payer experience than an MMO. I have played MMOs, and enjoyed LOTRO and Neverwinter, but I'm thinking something smaller scale.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

If you're looking for something more recent, I'd go with Fallout 3. I haven't played the first two, but I do know that the third one is when the game became a first-person rpg. It's one of my favorite games of all time.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(November 5, 2014 at 10:15 am)Jaysyn Wrote:

Arcanum is an excellent game, nothing quite like it. I'm going to assume that you've already tried the Baldur's Gate series & Fallout 1 & 2. Temple of Elemental Evil (also made by Troikia) is great after you patch it with the Circle of Eight mod/patch. Wasteland 2 is pretty damn good, but it's party-based & not a fantasy setting. Divinity: Original Sin is a fantasy setting, but it's a bit heavier on tactics than role-playing.

The Mask of the Betrayer & Storm of Zehir expansions for Neverwinter Nights 2 may also scratch your itch.

I played Baldur's Gate when it was originally released, I had really good fun but got bored with it towards the end, never played Neverwinter Nights though.

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)
(November 5, 2014 at 10:23 am)ManMachine Wrote: If you like the Steam-punk type retro-industrial feel then I loved the look, feel and playability of Arkane Studio's Dishonored (on Steam).

Personally, I couldn't stand this game, but I really dislike stealth-based games.

(November 5, 2014 at 10:27 am)Faith No More Wrote: If you're looking for something more recent, I'd go with Fallout 3. I haven't played the first two, but I do know that the third one is when the game became a first-person rpg. It's one of my favorite games of all time.

I suggested Fallout 1 & 2 because they are much closer to Arcanum in execution than Fallout 3 or New Vegas. I do love all 4 of them, however.

(November 5, 2014 at 10:24 am)Chad32 Wrote: I've heard of Fallout and Baldur's Gate, but I don't know much about them. I'll check them out. I did play Neverwinter Nights, and it was pretty fun, though I didn't get NW2.

Oh, if you already have Neverwinter Nights, make sure you try out the free premium module Darkness Over Daggerford.
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal
Some good ones: Oblivion, Morrowibd, skyrim, Diablo 2, baldurs gate, fallout 3 and new vegas, dragon age origin and 2, mass effect 1-3. Yhey are all better then current jrpgs which are usually quite formulamatic.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
(November 5, 2014 at 10:39 am)Lemonvariable72 Wrote: Some good ones: Oblivion, Morrowibd, skyrim, Diablo 2, baldurs gate, fallout 3 and new vegas, dragon age origin and 2, mass effect 1-3. Yhey are all better then current jrpgs which are usually quite formulamatic.

I think Morrowind is probably the best rpg I have ever played, it constantly surprised and delighted me and the main story was really well structured.

MM

(November 5, 2014 at 10:39 am)Lemonvariable72 Wrote: Some good ones: Oblivion, Morrowibd, skyrim, Diablo 2, baldurs gate, fallout 3 and new vegas, dragon age origin and 2, mass effect 1-3. Yhey are all better then current jrpgs which are usually quite formulamatic.

I have to second the Dragon Age: Origins recommendation.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tyranny - RPG ApeNotKillApe 0 447 January 5, 2017 at 11:48 am
Last Post: ApeNotKillApe
  Tabletop RPG's (D&D) Aroura 24 2090 October 4, 2016 at 3:09 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  RPG w/ simple interface Neo-Scholastic 2 647 December 4, 2015 at 12:40 pm
Last Post: Exian
  RPG games no reloading paulpablo 8 1463 June 7, 2014 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: Violet
  Medieval/Fantasy RPG's Napoléon 14 2574 April 3, 2014 at 3:19 pm
Last Post: Jaysyn
  Any RPG Game Recommendations DeistPaladin 20 5403 September 29, 2012 at 3:20 pm
Last Post: Ryantology