Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 2:10 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sharia law ban
Sharia law ban
The following is taken directly from a Huff post article. I can't share from my telly as it is still in prehistoric ages Wink

"Alabama Voters Pass Sharia Law Ban
Nov 5, 2014 09:59 am

By Julia Edwards

WASHINGTON, Nov 4 (Reuters) - While Maine voters were asked to weigh in on bear hunting regulations in Tuesday's U.S. elections, voters in Alabama were given the chance to insure that state courts never rule according to sharia law.

The 146 ballot measures show a broad spectrum of issues that are relevant to each state and vary widely among the nation's disparate cultures and political views.

Citizen groups and state legislatures have historically used the ballot process to decide politically sensitive issues through a direct vote.

Such was the case in Alabama where voters passed Foreign Laws in Court Amendment 1, which was added to the ballot by the state's legislature in an effort to put a controversial bill in the hands of voters.

Alabama Senator Gerald Allen first introduced the idea of explicitly prohibiting sharia laws from the state's courts as a bill in the state legislature. The bill did not pass and instead became a ballot measure that asked whether the courts should answer to any foreign law.

Unlike codified Western law, sharia is a loosely defined set of moral and legal guidelines based on the Koran, the sayings of Prophet Mohammad and Muslim traditions. Its rules and advice cover everything from prayers to personal hygiene.

A critic, Randy Brinson, president of the Christian Coalition of Alabama, called the vote a "tremendous waste of effort," in an interview with Birmingham News last week.

"Sharia law is not going to be implemented in Alabama, it just isn't," Brinson said to Birmingham News.

Maine's referendum on bear hunting also met resistance. The citizen-led initiative, sought to ban the use of bait, dogs and traps in bear hunting.

Maine's Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife issued a statement, saying it "vigorously opposed" the measure, which would "cripple the Department's ability to control the bear population."

The Department said such hunting tactics account for 93 percent of bear population control during a period it referred to as the "annual bear harvest."

The measure was too close to call early Wednesday morning.

Both Oregon and Colorado considered ballot measures that would require genetically modified foods to carry a label to alert customers.

Colorado blocked the bill. The vote in Oregon was too close to call early Wednesday morning.

Vermont passed a similar law earlier this year, bringing the public's attention to genetically modified ingredients and simultaneously instigating a lawsuit from the grocery industry.

Other unusual measures were on the ballot in Arizona, where voters passed a bill for terminally ill patients to try drugs that have not yet been approved by the FDA; in Colorado, where voters blocked a measure expanding horse track betting; and in Arkansas where voters chose to end alcohol prohibition in the state's large number of dry counties.

Thoughts?
Hold fast to dreams,
For if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird,
That cannot fly.”
― Langston Hughes
RE: Sharia law ban
Don't you have a constitutional separation of church and State? And if so, what does the new law accomplish?
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
I wasn't aware that there was such a push to institute Sharia law in Alabama that the issue needed a vote. Granted, I don't follow US news especially closely, but I think I'd've spotted a headline reading something like:

MASS RALLY: 150,000 MUSLIMS TAKE TO MOBILE STREETS, DEMAND SHARIA LAW

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(November 9, 2014 at 6:58 am)Aractus Wrote: Don't you have a constitutional separation of church and State? And if so, what does the new law accomplish?
We do, but it doesn't always work as intended.
What a relief, it will always be legal to yawn in Alabama . . .

Wink Shades
Shariah Law has been argued in American courts more often than you might expect. The cases mostly involve marriage and child custody but other issues such and property and contract law have also been argued. Some US courts have ruled based on Shariah law. Based on those facts, yes I believe laws banning the application of Shariah Law are a good idea.

http://shariahinamericancourts.com/wp-co...212011.pdf
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
(November 9, 2014 at 11:27 am)popeyespappy Wrote: Some US courts have ruled based on Shariah law.
So those US states then don't have a constitutional separation of church and State? Shouldn't it be better to legislate for a separation of church and State rather than a law that specifically targets only one religion (leaving all the others religions free to do so) from influencing only court proceedings (and not government decisions and other areas of State)?

Seems like a very, very short-sighted bill.

Also, how would such a bill pass an anti-discrimination clause, assuming you have one? Muslims could easily argue in a higher court that the ban is discriminatory because it unfairly targets only one religion, and not others for instance Mosaic Law.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
Reminds me of the old joke.....

Quote: Guy walks into a bar. Orders a drink. Bartender sees the guy keep snapping his fingers. Asks the guy, "Why're you snapping your fingers?" Guy says, "It keeps the elephants away."
Bartender says, "We're in Boston, there aren't any elephants."
Guy: "See? It works."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  God's law or private law? Leonardo17 76 6679 January 19, 2023 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Sudan scraps apostasy law and alcohol ban for non-Muslims zebo-the-fat 19 4037 October 14, 2020 at 10:20 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Sudan ends 30 years of Islamic Law Foxaèr 34 6013 September 9, 2020 at 9:46 am
Last Post: Sal
  Sharia law anyone? ignoramus 37 4514 March 28, 2019 at 7:45 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  "Sharia law makes a lot of sense" - Linda Sarsour Starman 73 20159 February 24, 2018 at 10:45 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Hubble's Law in the Quran long before Hubble's own discovery WinterHold 49 18021 January 7, 2018 at 1:29 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Saudi Arabia Law lugal ki en 17 2733 September 28, 2016 at 3:21 am
Last Post: lugal ki en
  Muslim ban on Pokemon Go CapnAwesome 30 6371 August 22, 2016 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: huss97ein
  Interview with Ani Zonneveld: Creating a 21st Century Sharia ReptilianPeon 0 826 April 19, 2016 at 4:31 pm
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  Pakistani Anti-Child Marriage Law ‘Anti-Islamic’ & ‘Blasphemous’ ReptilianPeon 21 4645 February 13, 2016 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: Nihilist Virus