Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 11:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How much do Christians really believe?
How much do Christians really believe?
This is something I have always thought and never quite understood.

This could be aimed at all religious people but especially Christians. Basically if there is a heaven then why is anybody Christian afraid of death? Not just this but why would anybody want to keep themselves alive and really make an effort in this life if they honestly believe that they are going to a better place when they die? Surely it makes no sense at all to want to cling on to life or even really value it that much in this world if this world is so much more inferior to the next world.

This to me suggests that deep down many Christians either know it is not true or are not as certain as they would make out. If I thought that I was going to heaven then I would be looking forward to that moment. If a relative of mine died I wouldn't be nearly as sad because I would know that are somewhere better and I will see them again.

Any thoughts?
RE: How much do Christians really believe?
Yep It's why Christians celebrate at funerals/ it isn't just mourning. Life is what you make it & Christianity is about making the most of it.
^What fr0d0 said.

The thing about a Christian point of view is that life is considered a gift. A gift from someone who loves you dearly and whom you return that love for as much as you can.

Thus, you wouldn't want to return your gift/life, would you? Wink

When it comes to loved ones dying, yes, there's no real reason to be sad because the person is in a better place now and is waiting for you to come be with them. However, that doesn't stop us from missing them when they go. Christians celebrate what was shared in life with that person, and try not to focus on "they're dead now".

Mourn the living, not the dead.
Quote:This to me suggests that deep down many Christians either know it is not true or are not as certain as they would make out.

Part of my my view too. I formed this view after getting to know a geriatric nurse in a nursing home. She told me that many deeply religious people,especially clergy, die very badly.

Anecdotal I know so not very useful. An equally valid explanation might be that some (even many) believers are afraid of dying not because they don't believe,but because they do.--Catholics are guilt ridden so should be terrified of going to hell.Members of the lunar religious right should be scared shitless because they believe in the petty, petulant, vicious,vindictive and cruel cunt of the Torah.

A cynical person,such as my good self might say of course they're afraid of dying. All animals are,it's hard wired,a survival tool,nothing to do with one's personal superstitions. (or lack of them).
Basing myself on my own personal feelings and experiences when I was a fundie, I can say that I too was afraid of death. I was always concerned about my eternal salvation and the question "If I died today would god find me worthy of inheriting a place in his kingdom?" Was all of my efforts in ministry, preaching, and gaining converts enough for me to warrant eternal salvation in Christ? I was overly concerned with everything I said and did and even thought. As soon as bad thoughts or inappropriate thoughts crept into my mind I was asking the lord for forgiveness and rebuking Satan all at once. That is why I always say that when I left the church it took me years to get over the fear of god. I dreaded the idea of spending eternity in hell which to me was as real as this world.
There is nothing people will not maintain when they are slaves to superstition

http://chatpilot-godisamyth.blogspot.com/

^Unfortunately, that's the trap a good number of Fundamentalist Christians fall into. Being a fundie of any kind is never a healthy road to take.
I'm not intellectually scared of death only instinctually. Like padriac said, it's an evolutionary hardwire. When I contemplate death on the rare occasion, it's not in a negative sense, I'm only thinking about could I have done more/ better. We as Christians shouldn't fear hell nor seek heaven, just live the best life here as we can, in hopes that we make a difference to those remaining behind.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
Justwhoarebongorock..

The celebration that Fr0d0 stated can be described on many levels as well....One good example is the Mental Child Abusers (AKA PREACHERS) preaching their sermon upon the pulpit:
"Brothers and Sisters, at least this fellow "Christian" is basking in "God's light" in Heaven"... blah blah blah...

And of course for the thumpers, it gives them that, "Feel good Feeling" of Joe Bob being in a better place.... yada yada....

The above would be "Labeled" more so as a true-blue "Fundie", but it's also a nice finger point for those who have the same belief secretly, and like to point their fingers at a "Fundie" direction when questioned about their own "Holy Path"... Just depends on what branch their talking to at the moment...

Just keep in mind, and this is directed at Fr0d0 and Tack as well,...... Their bottom line CORE still sits nice and pretty as: Believe in GOD or go to hell..........Which their book makes very blunt statements on....
Well.... With Fr0d0, it's probably questionable.....I haven't read where he's breaking out the spiked kool-aid yet, but I'm waiting to see the outcome.....Tongue
Intelligence is the only true moral guide...
Absolutely not. You may feel I do things to get a reward or out of feaar, but you're wrong. I worship God because I'm grateful for his gifts. Just as I'm thankful for my real father for all he has taught and given me. It's dutiful respect and humility not selfishness. You're speaking from ignorance and that's not usual for you from what I've seen. I don't mock fundies and I don't mock atheists, or anyone when I can help it. I may have poked back a little when poked but never to my recollection, out of hatefullness. I haven't been anywhere near as flip-flop as you're asserting, nor do I even subscribe to the literal hell the Bible teaches in vivid imagery.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
Watson said: "Unfortunately, that's the trap a good number of Fundamentalist Christians fall into. Being a fundie of any kind is never a healthy road to take."

I totally see that now, and have come to realize over the years that anything taken to the extreme can be mentally and psychologically damaging in the long run. As an atheist though I have come to lose my fear of death and accept death for what it is. A fear of death in my view is irrational when everyone and every living organism experiences it.
There is nothing people will not maintain when they are slaves to superstition

http://chatpilot-godisamyth.blogspot.com/

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How much influence does he have? zwanzig 32 3032 September 13, 2021 at 11:24 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Are there any Christians here who believe in zombies? Jehanne 41 4836 February 1, 2019 at 9:30 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 7811 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How much of my personal experience should I tell the world? Der/die AtheistIn 10 1411 January 18, 2019 at 8:08 am
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  Why does my family want me to be christian so much? Der/die AtheistIn 17 2785 March 29, 2018 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Do christians believe in Witchcraft? Cecelia 55 14830 June 25, 2017 at 1:39 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  A quarter of British Christians do not believe in the resurection downbeatplumb 35 6819 April 14, 2017 at 11:54 am
Last Post: Brian37
  What do non-fundamentalist Christians actually believe? Fromper 66 24441 June 30, 2016 at 7:08 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Why do Christians believe in the Resurrection of Jesus but not alien abductions? Jehanne 72 11698 June 27, 2016 at 1:54 am
Last Post: Redbeard The Pink
  Why do Christians become Christians? SteveII 168 31250 May 20, 2016 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy