Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 5:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How much of my personal experience should I tell the world?
How much of my personal experience should I tell the world?
For those of you who don't know, I was raised by moderate christians, who didn't taught me their interpretation of religion until my teenage years (even then, just because I asked them) and because of that I was brainwashed right under their noses by my religious teachers to believe in Hell and other things my parents don't believe. When my parents found that out, they were more concerned about the possibility of me leaving the religion that their screw up. They also showed more concerned towards my unhappiness than the cause of it. You know, caring more about the effect than the cause. 
The reason why I became atheist is because I found out there is no proof for a God and the definition itself is unclear to me.
I sometimes wonder if my parents friends would still want to have anything to do with them if they found out about this incident. I also wonder what the majority would say. I'm not worried, just morbidly curious.
That's why I wonder how much information I should give away. Now it's not the time, I'm not financially stable yet.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in God, in none"

Charlie Chaplin
RE: How much of my personal experience should I tell the world?
(January 17, 2019 at 6:02 am)Der/die AtheistIn Wrote: For those of you who don't know, I was raised by moderate christians, who didn't taught me their interpretation of religion until my teenage years (even then, just because I asked them) and because of that I was brainwashed right under their noses by my religious teachers to believe in Hell and other things my parents don't believe. When my parents found that out, they were more concerned about the possibility of me leaving the religion that their screw up. They also showed more concerned towards my unhappiness than the cause of it. You know, caring more about the effect than the cause. 
The reason why I became atheist is because I found out there is no proof for a God and the definition itself is unclear to me.
I sometimes wonder if my parents friends would still want to have anything to do with them if they found out about this incident. I also wonder what the majority would say. I'm not worried, just morbidly curious.
That's why I wonder how much information I should give away. Now it's not the time, I'm not financially stable yet.

First off, you don't "become" an atheist. You are still a human being regardless of the off or on position. You simply ditch the on position for the off position. A light switch is still a light switch, be it on or off. I do agree though that there is no evidence for a super natural cognition by any name, and is also why I went from on to off on god claims.

As far as family, again, only you can gauge them. It sounds to me like you already made your decision. If you are that worried about not having a roof over your head, then it would be wise to stay low, save money and plan for a point in the future where you wont be dependent on them. 

But do know though, you always have a voice here when you need talk about it.
It' s a bit of a gamble, isn't it?

But - your folks don't sound like the rabid type that would disown you if you don' t believe fairy tales are real.

That aside - it's not something you need to share, is it??

Unlike the religious zealot - an atheist isn' t under any mandate to " spread the word".

Sounds like you're over the brainwashing now, time to stop blaming your parents. My parents sent me to the brainwash place also, why, because they didn't know any better and thought they were doing the right thing. 

What incident? That you were exposed to religion at a young age? Time to get over it. If that's the worst thing you experienced in your childhood you're getting off easy.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(January 17, 2019 at 8:48 am)wyzas Wrote: Sounds like you're over the brainwashing now, time to stop blaming your parents. My parents sent me to the brainwash place also, why, because they didn't know any better and thought they were doing the right thing. 

What incident? That you were exposed to religion at a young age? Time to get over it. If that's the worst thing you experienced in your childhood you're getting off easy.

I don't know about you, but my parents are moderates. They don't believe in Hell and they also didn't sent me to a brainwashing place. When I was little religion class was obligatory in Romania. 
I actually believed that an all-loving God sends people to eternal torture. I stopped believing that thanks to a friend of my dad. I literally changed my belief in just one day, it was shocking. A shock that could've been avoided so easily by my parents, if they just told me their interpretation.
My parents wanted me to have their interpretation of religion, yet never told me and weren't shocked when they found out I was brainwashed under their noses for 7 years.
I do believe that my parents interpretation of religion is brainwashing as well, but at least it's more closer to the truth. They have no reason to believe that what I've been through wasn't traumatizing.
The incident I was referring to, is the fact that they weren't competent enough to tell me the opinion they wanted me to have.
Because of that, I don't think I can ever forgive them.

(January 17, 2019 at 7:25 am)Brian37 Wrote:
(January 17, 2019 at 6:02 am)Der/die AtheistIn Wrote: For those of you who don't know, I was raised by moderate christians, who didn't taught me their interpretation of religion until my teenage years (even then, just because I asked them) and because of that I was brainwashed right under their noses by my religious teachers to believe in Hell and other things my parents don't believe. When my parents found that out, they were more concerned about the possibility of me leaving the religion that their screw up. They also showed more concerned towards my unhappiness than the cause of it. You know, caring more about the effect than the cause. 

First off, you don't "become" an atheist. You are still a human being regardless of the off or on position. You simply ditch the on position for the off position. A light switch is still a light switch, be it on or off. I do agree though that there is no evidence for a super natural cognition by any name, and is also why I went from on to off on god claims.

As far as family, again, only you can gauge them. It sounds to me like you already made your decision. If you are that worried about not having a roof over your head, then it would be wise to stay low, save money and plan for a point in the future where you wont be dependent on them. 

But do know though, you always have a voice here when you need talk about it.

I don't understand. Atheist specifically means a person who lacks the belief in a God. It is referred just to humans. We don't know if other species about as or more intelligent as us exist, if they did, maybe some of them could be considered atheists, but as I said, we don't know if they exist.
How is it impossible to "become" an atheist? It means that you've changed your opinion, it's perfectly possible. I'm sorry, if it's supposed to be metaphorical I don't understand.

Charlie Chaplin
(January 17, 2019 at 9:44 am)Der/die AtheistIn Wrote:
(January 17, 2019 at 8:48 am)wyzas Wrote: Sounds like you're over the brainwashing now, time to stop blaming your parents. My parents sent me to the brainwash place also, why, because they didn't know any better and thought they were doing the right thing. 

I don't know about you, but my parents are moderates. They don't believe in Hell and they also didn't sent me to a brainwashing place. When I was little religion class was obligatory in Romania. 
I actually believed that an all-loving God sends people to eternal torture. I stopped believing that thanks to a friend of my dad. I literally changed my belief in just one day, it was shocking. A shock that could've been avoided so easily by my parents, if they just told me their interpretation.
My parents wanted me to have their interpretation of religion, yet never told me and weren't shocked when they found out I was brainwashed under their noses for 7 years.
I do believe that my parents interpretation of religion is brainwashing as well, but at least it's more closer to the truth. They have no reason to believe that what I've been through wasn't traumatizing.
The incident I was referring to, is the fact that they weren't competent enough to tell me the opinion they wanted me to have.
Because of that, I don't think I can ever forgive them.

And what's your part in this? Did you ever ask them their thoughts/positions on religion? It may never have occurred to them that it was causing you discomfort and needed to be discussed. 

If you want to hold onto it, that's your choice. In the end I don't think it will do you much good.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
You will always be blind to certain parts of yourself. You will always have parts that are just yours privately. You will always have a public version of yourself to share with others. There will always be parts of you that you don't see but others do. Look up Johari's window. People can't know you if you choose not to reveal anything, but you might not want them to know you or to know them. It's completely up to you who you let in and why and how that benefits you. If you are dependent on others for the basic necessities of life, I'd be more focused on achieving more independence and less worried about who or what I share with.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
All of it. Be an open book, for the whole world to read. If people don't like it, that's their fucking problem!
(January 17, 2019 at 10:32 am)wyzas Wrote: And what's your part in this? Did you ever ask them their thoughts/positions on religion? It may never have occurred to them that it was causing you discomfort and needed to be discussed. 

If you want to hold onto it, that's your choice. In the end I don't think it will do you much good.

How can it never occur to them that it was causing me discomfort? As mentioned they don't believe in Hell. Doesn't the fact that their kid believed in it right under their noses concern them?
I understand that a kid might have questions to address to their parents, but this doesn't change the fact that they should've told me what they wanted me to know. They wanted to teach me something, yet they didn't. It's like they didn't think things at all. Not that they had a wrong plan, it's like they had literally no plan and didn't even know that. 
Also, I don't want to hold onto my pain. I don't think I have a choice. More than 5 years have passed since I have stopped believing in Hell and I still didn't forgive my parents. I didn't trust to tell them about my suffering, because how can I trust someone who made such a mistake to understand me? 
I tried to simulate in my mind what would happen if I told them how I feel. If they will eventually understand that they did a mistake and apologize, it wouldn't change the fact that this situation could've been avoided very easily, was obvious that it should've been avoided, they didn't have any obstacle not to tell me and it would fit their beliefs. It also wouldn't change that they didn't realize how traumatizing fundamentalist religion can be. 
Also, they use religion for social reasons as well. Why are they worried that society will judge them if they didn't have a religion, but not worried that it might judge them, because they weren't competent enough to tell me what they wanted me to believe? 
Of course it would be better if they realized this later than never, but it doesn't make me much happier.
There is also the fact that I'm not sure they would be able to understand what they did wrong if I told them.  
Also, even if you have negative emotions towards something and you can't change that, it doesn't mean that you'll always be sad. You can concentrate on positive aspects. I stand to the point that true forgiveness comes naturally. If I'll ever forgive my parents that's good, if I don't then so be it.

(January 17, 2019 at 10:52 am)no one Wrote: All of it. Be an open book, for the whole world to read. If people don't like it, that's their fucking problem!

Thank you for your answer. I mentioned that I'm not worried, just curious, but thank you anyway.

Charlie Chaplin
What you want to tell anyone else is your choice, just be sure what you reveal doesn't come back to bite you in the ass. I can understand @no one point of view, but based on my personal experiences, being a open book is a really really bad idea.

That aside, I don't see any reason to hold on to your grudge against your parents in this scenario, yes they didn't burden you with their brand of bs on top of your school mandated bs, when their brand of bs might have been slightly better than that other one, but bs is still bs! I can understand your expectations of them understanding their own child, but it's not always that simple, parents are humans too and often won't know things about you unless you open up to them. If all parents could really understand the suffering of their child without being told, so many children around the world wouldn't be getting abused right now. Religious brainwashing is akin to child abuse in a sense, but it is especially harder for parents to understand when they themselves have been religiously indoctrinated.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How much influence does he have? zwanzig 32 3029 September 13, 2021 at 11:24 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Hell, or rather my brief experience of it. Drich 206 84564 December 23, 2019 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: no one
  What do invented saints tell us about Christianity? Fake Messiah 132 11797 November 22, 2019 at 9:19 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Tell Me Again How Your Bullshit Is Spreading in Africa, Xtians! Minimalist 9 1370 July 21, 2018 at 8:42 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Why does my family want me to be christian so much? Der/die AtheistIn 17 2784 March 29, 2018 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Question about this unusual experience orthodox-man 8 1194 January 26, 2018 at 10:39 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Should I tell my parents I faked being christian? Der/die AtheistIn 26 5688 January 15, 2018 at 12:38 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  Personal evidence Foxaèr 19 6024 November 4, 2017 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: c152
  Tell All Book Says Pat Robertson Full of Shit Minimalist 12 3543 September 29, 2017 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: Atheist73
  Tell Me Again How Great Fucking Xtians Are Minimalist 44 13367 June 26, 2017 at 6:05 pm
Last Post: Astonished