Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 3:07 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Sea Peoples And The Bible.
The Sea Peoples And The Bible.
Lately I have been reading about the bronze age collapse, in an attempt to find evidence for an thought I had. I noticed two interesting this last night. First that the swords shown in depictions of the sea peoples look like the contempary rapiers found in the British isles, and second there is zero mention of these people in the bible. Despite the fact they pretty much came from no where and destroyed three of the most powerful civilizations of there day with in 2 geberations, and that includes the Canaanites. Curiously these 2 generations were the same time period that is covered by the books exodus and Joshua.
But yet not a peep at the sea peoples, either by that name or any of the nine names recorded by the Egyptians. But we know from correspondance that it was the sea peoples that destroyed vthe canaanites.
For those of going to googles you may find that Wikipedia says that one of the sea people may have been the Israelite tribe of Dan. I find that difficult as currently the earliest evidence we have for a independent Israeli culture dates to the 8 century BC, some 400 years later.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
RE: The Sea Peoples And The Bible.
The Sea Peoples invade Canaan a century or two after the Biblical entry into the area was supposed to have occurred. It is in very clear contradiction to what the Bible says about the matter.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
I thought the sea people were thought to be related to the philistines?
(November 18, 2014 at 11:08 am)Chuck Wrote: I thought the sea people were thought to be related to the philistines?

There's still an ongoing debate about that. The jury is still out on most everything concerning the sea people.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(November 18, 2014 at 10:42 am)Aractus Wrote: The Sea Peoples invade Canaan a century or two after the Biblical entry into the area was supposed to have occurred. It is in very clear contradiction to what the Bible says about the matter.

Depending on which view of the bible you take. Some put isreal invasion before like you said and some at the same time. I take the documentary hypothesis as there is no evidence of a distinct Hebrew culture to canaanites prior to the 8th century BC. Most histories written by ancient peoples should be taken wuth a high dose of salt.
Signifying nothing.
The Peleset (Philistines) were one of the groups which made up the Sea Peoples.

If you can, get hold of Eric Cline's 1177 BC. Excellent recap of the collapse of the Late Bronze Age civilizations.
I just read a little about that (a Christian was talking about how the Bible is historically accurate → Dan)
Never forget that xtians are assholes.

The bible also manages to forget 4 centuries of Egyptian domination of Canaan.
(November 18, 2014 at 12:45 pm)Minimalist Wrote: The Peleset (Philistines) were one of the groups which made up the Sea Peoples.

If you can, get hold of Eric Cline's 1177 BC. Excellent recap of the collapse of the Late Bronze Age civilizations.
As abaris said the jury is out on that. I'm personally inclined to say that, that is an example of Christians shoe horning ancient history. I'll have to get that book.
Signifying nothing.
I don't think it is that much in doubt. This comparison of Mycenean and Philistine pottery decorative motifs by Israeli archaeologist, Amihai Mazar, shows that the latter clearly was influenced by the former.

[Image: potterymotif.jpg~original]

Excavations at the Canaanite coastal cities show clear evidence of destruction c 1150 BC and replacement of Canaanite culture with the more Hellenic forms of the Sea People.

There is very little doubt that massive population movements did in the Late Bronze Age empires. The Myceneans, Hitties, Cypriots, all were overrun and the Egyptians survived only barely...and began a thousand year slide to oblivion. Not so coincidentally, the layer known as Troy VIIa went up in flames c 1190 BC which is consistent with the start of Sea People deprivations. Not Achilles. Just some smelly Hellenic barbarians. Of course, you couldn't expect Homer to write that story down!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dead Sea Scrolls purplepurpose 13 1164 June 28, 2018 at 1:33 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Lady Lex Found on the Bottom of The Coral Sea Minimalist 8 985 March 6, 2018 at 10:17 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus