Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 8:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lady Lex Found on the Bottom of The Coral Sea
Lady Lex Found on the Bottom of The Coral Sea
https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/05/politics/...index.html

Quote:Billionaire explorer discovers sunken US WWII aircraft carrier

Quote:Wreckage from the USS Lexington -- a US aircraft carrier sunk by the Japanese during World War II -- has been discovered 500 miles off the Australian coast by a team of explorers led by billionaire Paul Allen, the Microsoft co-founder announced on Monday.
RE: Lady Lex Found on the Bottom of The Coral Sea
Saved from the wrecker by negotiations at the Washington Naval Conference she and Saratoga were the backbone of US naval aviation for many years.
The Japanese converted two battle cruises to carriers, also,  Akagi and Kaga.  Only Saratoga survived the war but she was frequently laid up for the first couple of years of the war.  You'd think that the additional armor on a battle cruiser would have improved their survivability but no.
(March 6, 2018 at 12:11 pm)Minimalist Wrote: The Japanese converted two battle cruises to carriers, also,  Akagi and Kaga.  Only Saratoga survived the war but she was frequently laid up for the first couple of years of the war.  You'd think that the additional armor on a battle cruiser would have improved their survivability but no.

It wasn't all applied, of course, and some that was applied was removed to effect the conversion to a carrier, especially in the hangar area. 

https://www.ibiblio.org/pha/pre-war/1922/nav_lim.html
Lex was pretty well disabled by torpedo hits and then caught fire.  Akagi and Kaga were also set ablaze by dive bombers.  Our torpedo planes were shit at that stage of the war, virtually flying coffins.  Lex's hull was built at a time when the effectiveness of Japanese torpedoes was unknown.  

I seem to recall a special where they went looking for the sunken carriers of Midway.  They did find Yorktown and one of the Jap carriers, Kaga I think, but they could not find Akagi, Hiryu and Soryu,
(March 6, 2018 at 1:11 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Lex was pretty well disabled by torpedo hits and then caught fire.  Akagi and Kaga were also set ablaze by dive bombers.  Our torpedo planes were shit at that stage of the war, virtually flying coffins.  Lex's hull was built at a time when the effectiveness of Japanese torpedoes was unknown.  

I seem to recall a special where they went looking for the sunken carriers of Midway.  They did find Yorktown and one of the Jap carriers, Kaga I think, but they could not find Akagi, Hiryu and Soryu,

I remember that documentary the surface ship had crew member of both Yorktown and one of the Japanese carriers on board. They said a few words and laid wreaths, quite moving.
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.
Read about this today. Good on Allen for funding the nuts and bolts of historical work.

I'm pretty sure it was a torpedo which sprung Lexington's avgas storage, but the ship flew off and landed planes long after that hit, and several others. I think it was more a matter of damage control at that stage of the war being pretty primitive and unexplored, rather than armor being ineffective. The tank was sprung by shock, not penetration.

Paul Allen is my favorite billionaire after Elon Musk.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
(March 6, 2018 at 9:37 pm)AFTT47 Wrote: Paul Allen is my favorite billionaire after Elon Musk.

He's my favorite. a history freak with a taste for Jimi Hendrix ... and a lot of money.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Battle between Richard the Lionheart and Saladin found Deesse23 8 931 August 4, 2020 at 5:22 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Dead Sea Scrolls purplepurpose 13 1161 June 28, 2018 at 1:33 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Oldest Human Remains Found Outside of Africa Minimalist 11 3042 January 26, 2018 at 10:25 am
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  They Found a Holy Shitter in Israel? Minimalist 18 2247 November 14, 2017 at 5:43 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Wreck of the Indianapolis Found Minimalist 2 725 August 20, 2017 at 9:48 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Look what I found abaris 1 709 December 15, 2016 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Shitload of Roman Coins Found in Spain Minimalist 0 685 April 29, 2016 at 9:00 pm
  Thutmose III Seal Found In Galilee Minimalist 6 1309 February 3, 2016 at 12:22 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  The Sea Peoples And The Bible. Lemonvariable72 21 3343 November 18, 2014 at 10:47 pm
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
  Roman Camp Found Near the Elbe Minimalist 14 3940 May 20, 2014 at 9:32 pm