Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 3:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dead Sea Scrolls
Dead Sea Scrolls

Christian told me that 2000 years old Dead Sea Scrolls supports the claims of the bible. Could those scrolls have been made recently to boost faith?
RE: Dead Sea Scrolls
No.  The provenance of most of the scrolls seems unimpeachable.  Radiometric dating, the parchment and ink used, the style of writing, and the fact that we know there were Essenes in the area at the proper time all indicate that the scrolls are not forgeries.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
2,000 years and no one in the past ever found those scrolls!
(June 26, 2018 at 4:03 am)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote: 2,000 years and no one in the past ever found those scrolls!

Because they were deliberately hidden in a series of caves that were notorious for being hard to get at.  We are still finding remains/ruins of ancient Rome, Parthia and the like, many of them of an age similar to the scrolls.

It is a truism that lost things tend to stay that way until someone finds them.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(June 26, 2018 at 3:03 am)purplepurpose Wrote:

Christian told me that 2000 years old Dead Sea Scrolls supports the claims of the bible. Could those scrolls have been made recently to boost faith?

What claims?
That Judaism was a well established religion at that time has never been questioned. The Jeebus dude and his antics; no mention of in the DSS.
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.
There is no mention of jesus, xtians, or xtianity in the DSS. If there was every xtian fucktard would be shrieking it from the rooftops. They aren't.
(June 26, 2018 at 4:59 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(June 26, 2018 at 4:03 am)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote: 2,000 years and no one in the past ever found those scrolls!

Because they were deliberately hidden in a series of caves that were notorious for being hard to get at.  We are still finding remains/ruins of ancient Rome, Parthia and the like, many of them of an age similar to the scrolls.

Boru
Fake news on a par with the Shroud of Turin.
(June 26, 2018 at 5:11 pm)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote:
(June 26, 2018 at 4:59 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Because they were deliberately hidden in a series of caves that were notorious for being hard to get at.  We are still finding remains/ruins of ancient Rome, Parthia and the like, many of them of an age similar to the scrolls.

Boru
Fake news on a par with the Shroud of Turin.

The Shroud of Turin isn't 'fake news'.  It's a pious forgery.  The DSS, however, are authentic.

Boru
(June 26, 2018 at 7:33 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(June 26, 2018 at 5:11 pm)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote: Fake news on a par with the Shroud of Turin.

The Shroud of Turin isn't 'fake news'.  It's a pious forgery.  The DSS, however, are authentic.

Boru

Sure they are. And so are golden hemorrhoids.
You're right, of course.  Someone managed to lay their hands on a load of 2200 year old parchment, made their own ink out of soot, honey, water and vinegar, carefully constructed authentic-seeming reed styli, went to all the trouble of learning ancient Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic, loaded the scrolls into a lot of clay jars (also 2200 years old), scattered some contemporaneous bronze coins about, and then managed to have a couple of semi-literate Bedouin shepherds 'discover' the scrolls in the 1940s.

I don't know how I could have been gullible enough to fall for such an obvious bit of fakery.

Boru

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lady Lex Found on the Bottom of The Coral Sea Minimalist 8 978 March 6, 2018 at 10:17 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Advances in Reading the Herculaneum Scrolls Minimalist 20 2895 September 22, 2016 at 6:13 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  The Sea Peoples And The Bible. Lemonvariable72 21 3328 November 18, 2014 at 10:47 pm
Last Post: Lemonvariable72