Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 11:19 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not Exactly News.....
Not Exactly News.....
Bankers are crooks.

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/vao...13977.html

Quote:Our results thus suggest that the prevailing business culture in the banking industry weakens and undermines the honesty norm, implying that measures to re-establish an honest culture are very important.

I don't know if it is worth buying access to the article for that. Bertold Brecht said it best:

"What is the robbing of a bank compared to the founding of a bank?"
RE: Not Exactly News.....
Heh. "The prevailing business culture in the banking industry weakens and undermines the honesty norm."

Looks like the prevailing business culture in the periodical industry weakens and undermines the intestinal fortitude norm.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
I think, it is not a confirm news but you can read some news related this from here [snip]
Quote:However, when their professional identity as bank employees is rendered salient, a significant proportion of them become dishonest. This effect is specific to bank employees because control experiments with employees from other industries and with students show that they do not become more dishonest when their professional identity or bank-related items are rendered salient.

This will probably make me sound stupid. I thought that salient meant most important feature. I am confused how the word is being used in the above sentence. Is it saying that bank employees who identify the most with their jobs are the more dishonest then other types of employees?
(November 20, 2014 at 2:20 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Bankers are crooks.

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/vao...13977.html

Quote:Our results thus suggest that the prevailing business culture in the banking industry weakens and undermines the honesty norm, implying that measures to re-establish an honest culture are very important.

I don't know if it is worth buying access to the article for that. Bertold Brecht said it best:

"What is the robbing of a bank compared to the founding of a bank?"

How about a corollary:

What is filching from the collection plate compared to the founding of your own religion ?

Tongue
Oh no you didn't!
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(December 9, 2014 at 10:31 am)Nope Wrote:
Quote:However, when their professional identity as bank employees is rendered salient, a significant proportion of them become dishonest. This effect is specific to bank employees because control experiments with employees from other industries and with students show that they do not become more dishonest when their professional identity or bank-related items are rendered salient.

This will probably make me sound stupid. I thought that salient meant most important feature. I am confused how the word is being used in the above sentence. Is it saying that bank employees who identify the most with their jobs are the more dishonest then other types of employees?

It strikes me that way as well, and would seem to be poor writing for the confusion it is causing. Simpler sometimes is better.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fake News: All the news that fits. Gawdzilla Sama 0 427 October 10, 2017 at 11:05 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Um...Exactly How Stupid Are White People? Minimalist 6 1649 December 2, 2014 at 9:56 pm
Last Post: LostLocke
  Exactly one dollar.... Rhizomorph13 9 2038 March 29, 2012 at 2:41 pm
Last Post: 5thHorseman
  Exactly Why Not TN thesummerqueen 23 2781 October 8, 2011 at 7:23 am
Last Post: 8BitAtheist
  Yay! I have exactly 2000 posts! Rhizomorph13 13 3625 June 6, 2011 at 10:20 am
Last Post: Rhizomorph13