Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 5:17 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not A Bad Thing For Them To Learn
Not A Bad Thing For Them To Learn
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/30/world/...TE&ei=5043

Quote:Japanese Unearth Remains, and Their Nation’s Past, on Guadalcanal
RE: Not A Bad Thing For Them To Learn
Quote:Mr. Kanaizumi, 95, was an army engineer who helped build roads in the jungle. Now bent and frail with age, shuffling to the edge of the jungle with the help of a walking stick, Mr. Kanaizumi wore the same khaki jumpsuit with a Japanese flag on one shoulder as the other members.

Peering into one of the leaf-wrapped bundles, Mr. Kanaizumi said it was possible he once knew the man now reduced to a pile of crumbling bones.

“I hope they learn the miserable reality of war,” he said. “Once I am gone, who will be around to tell them that the only lesson from war is to never do it again?”

That last sentence is powerful.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  When A Bad Day Gets Worse Minimalist 12 808 May 30, 2018 at 4:31 pm
Last Post: unsapien
  Possibly The Only Useful Thing that Iraq Accomplished Minimalist 6 1053 March 7, 2016 at 5:21 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Onme thing about my family history I'm really proud of abaris 7 2260 August 18, 2015 at 5:56 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  No such thing as "Jewish terrorism"? Brian37 8 3286 February 11, 2015 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: dyresand