Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No such thing as "Jewish terrorism"?
No such thing as "Jewish terrorism"?
Never heard of the Irgun until I got a history lesson on CNN's GPS "Global Public Square" show just now. So I looked them up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irgun

Again, this isn't in any sense meant to promote a new holocaust, so any Israelis or Jews need to understand, this is about our species tribalism and needless defense of "chosen people".

Any right wing group of any religion that uses the word "freedom" and at the same time the mentality of "the ends justifies the means" and hides behind religious entitlement of land or political power, is wrong.

It is wrong when Islam or Christianity does it.

This group proves that religion is the cause and no religion is immune to getting to this point. The pogroms of humanity, from genocide of Native Americans and slavery of blacks to the Holocaust to the terrorism of Islam today, all stem from our species self centered tribalism.

Sagan's Pale Blue Dot speech is what far too much of humanity is ignoring, that our labels and boarders do not change that humans are not the center of the planet or the universe.
RE: No such thing as "Jewish terrorism"?
Yeah Judaism isn't exempt from guilt
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

(February 8, 2015 at 12:05 pm)Dystopia Wrote: Yeah Judaism isn't exempt from guilt

I think the more humans that think of labels as likes and positions rather than saying "I am" which conflates them to being a physical part of the individual, the more that ditch that, the more humans can be objective.

It is wrong to get stuck on the label or time frame issue. Our species ability to be cruel or compassionate is in our evolution, not our labels.

Even with the word "atheist". I say "I am an atheist", out of simplicity of a short cut, but the truth is you cant draw my blood and find a specific atom or gene that determines my position. My position came after my birth it was not required at my conception.

I do hat Jews hiding behind the Holocaust. Criticizing Jews or Israel is in no way advocating a repetition of what Hitler did. Blacks and Native Americans were treated like shit also.

You don't point to any human horror to use it as a billboard for one label. You remember it as a lesson to ALL of humanity as to how we should not treat our fellow human beings.

I also get a lip twitch when atheists say "When we become the majority we will treat you better". No, it is easy to get stuck in the moment and have empathy being a minority, but even atheists forget that they don't live forever and future atheists a couple generations down the line will not be directly connected to our current climate.

Power shifts over time and there is truth to once the abused become the abuser. History repeats when we forget it, but it also repeats when any group hides behind it.
Let's call it all religious terrorism. Terrorism in the name of fairy tales. War on reality.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
There's not much I can say, you nailed it Smile

On criticizing "Jews", that really depends on what do you mean. Criticizing Jews can be valid if its about religion, but white supremacists like to argue that Jewish people are a parasite race, and believe or not - There are people who support this view. Just look at [some] Muslims - Islam is an anti-semitic religion.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

(February 8, 2015 at 12:26 pm)robvalue Wrote: Let's call it all religious terrorism. Terrorism in the name of fairy tales. War on reality.

I've gotten blasted on another page for agreeing with Hitchens title of his book "God Is Not Great, How religion poisons everything".

The problem isn't our species ability to be compassionate, our species problem is the poison of our flawed evolution in that our gap filling leads to religion itself.

Now the way I have described it is this. You don't call it poison because you hate religious people, or human rights. You call it poison just like Nadar said back in the 60s and 70s that cars were unsafe. And even cars today, are still dangerous because the operators can ignore their bad habits in driving and or use their car aggressively out of a selfish sense of entitlement.

The other analogy of religion I have used is to treat ALL religions like volcanos. Some are currently less active or dormant, and others are more active and or exploding. Now just like a volcano, you cant get rid of religion, but you have to constantly be aware of it's dark side to minimize an eruption.

I don't hate all 7 billion of my fellow humans. I do hate however, the bad logic of what causes religion to exist in the first place. The only thing that is reasonable is to insist on a safety belt and air bags and speed limits through common law and government neutrality, and the ability to challenge both scientific absurdity and morally bad acts by any one religious individual or a group.
(February 8, 2015 at 11:19 am)Brian37 Wrote: Never heard of the Irgun until I got a history lesson on CNN's GPS "Global Public Square" show just now. So I looked them up.

Curious. I thought they were pretty well known. Menachem Begin was a member and had part in the King David hotel assault.

It certainly was a terrorist group, but still following the nationalist path, Zionism had paved. Religion wasn't high on their agenda. They were more along the lines of ETA or the IRA. In short, they have committed terrible acts like any terrorist group does, but they did so with clear heads and a political goal. Todays jewish radicalism on the other hand is promised land motivated. They don't kill that often these days, since their rightwing government is doing most of the dirty work for them. But if they do kill, it's in the name of their god. Rabin was one of their victims as were the unnamed casualties of Barruch Goldstein's killing spree and in recent times the retaliation killing where one palestinian youngster was burnt to death in revenge for the three killed jewish boys.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(February 8, 2015 at 1:30 pm)abaris Wrote:
(February 8, 2015 at 11:19 am)Brian37 Wrote: Never heard of the Irgun until I got a history lesson on CNN's GPS "Global Public Square" show just now. So I looked them up.

Curious. I thought they were pretty well known. Menachem Begin was a member and had part in the King David hotel assault.

It certainly was a terrorist group, but still following the nationalist path, Zionism had paved. Religion wasn't high on their agenda. They were more along the lines of ETA or the IRA. In short, they have committed terrible acts like any terrorist group does, but they did so with clear heads and a political goal. Todays jewish radicalism on the other hand is promised land motivated. They don't kill that often these days, since their rightwing government is doing most of the dirty work for them. But if they do kill, it's in the name of their god. Rabin was one of their victims as were the unnamed casualties of Barruch Goldstein's killing spree and in recent times the retaliation killing where one palestinian youngster was burnt to death in revenge for the three killed jewish boys.

What the? It most certainly IS religious based, the name is Hebrew. I really hate the terms Zionist and Anti Semetic as dodges. This all stems from the original splinter sect of Canaanite polytheism and divine right and chosen people entitlement it spun off of.

Race and or politics are doges by ALL religions to ignore the elephant in the room. It has always been about "God gave me this land" for both Muslims and Jews, and in the States why we still have idiots saying "Christian Nation".
(February 8, 2015 at 12:26 pm)robvalue Wrote: Let's call it all religious terrorism. Terrorism in the name of fairy tales. War on reality.

The war against reality is a really ignorant and hate filled one at that. They are spreading "love" and the "word" alright Dodgy.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  History thread [split] from "New Rule - Promoting Terrorism" Huggy Bear 52 5403 July 23, 2018 at 9:39 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Western terrorism. WinterHold 64 5096 February 13, 2018 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Possibly The Only Useful Thing that Iraq Accomplished Minimalist 6 1053 March 7, 2016 at 5:21 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Onme thing about my family history I'm really proud of abaris 7 2245 August 18, 2015 at 5:56 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Not A Bad Thing For Them To Learn Minimalist 1 858 December 2, 2014 at 10:11 am
Last Post: Nope