Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:13 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Future of Christianity in US
Future of Christianity in US
Does anybody have any ideas about the future of Christianity in the US?

The last survey I saw from Pew Forum showed that all denominations were shrinking except for Pentecostal and Catholic, and young people are more likely to identify as a "none".

I have wondered if the decrease of Christianity in Europe might give clues about the future in the US. Of course the internet didn't exist when this happened in Europe.

Maybe Christians will gravitate towards neighborhoods, workplaces, schools, and universities that are majority Christian? Maybe Christians will flock to churches that immerse them in activities, services, etc.?
RE: Future of Christianity in US
The worst elements of Evangelical American Christianity are being shunted out and exported to Africa already. I do remain more optimistic than some though, that with the vast availability of information on the internet, successive generations will continue to get more educated and will come to view religion as a relic of their parents' and grandparents' generation.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
(December 2, 2014 at 4:27 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote: The worst elements of Evangelical American Christianity are being shunted out and exported to Africa already. I do remain more optimistic than some though, that with the vast availability of information on the internet, successive generations will continue to get more educated and will come to view religion as a relic of their parents' and grandparents' generation.

If they're lucky, they will grow up in an environment where they don't have to give a shit. But going by what has been swept into Washington by the last election results, there's a very strong opposition of stupid. And they're pushing hard for ignorance.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(December 2, 2014 at 4:40 pm)abaris Wrote:
(December 2, 2014 at 4:27 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote: The worst elements of Evangelical American Christianity are being shunted out and exported to Africa already. I do remain more optimistic than some though, that with the vast availability of information on the internet, successive generations will continue to get more educated and will come to view religion as a relic of their parents' and grandparents' generation.

If they're lucky, they will grow up in an environment where they don't have to give a shit. But going by what has been swept into Washington by the last election results, there's a very strong opposition of stupid. And they're pushing hard for ignorance.
Ehh, the GOP in the last half-century has been trying their best to inculcate those ideas with each successive generation, but the data are against them. Religiosity is declining, acceptance of evolution is increasing (a pittance, I know, but it's a start for us Americans), the availability of information in mass communications is something that the GOP can't (for now at least) get their hands around.

The 1950s baby-booming white picket fence non-interracial marriage AIDS-denying climate-change "skeptics" that consitute the bulk of the current GOP might seem to be "in charge" at the moment, but as more of the younger generations reach the age of governance I still think those kind of archaic ideas will decay and die (like the opposition to gay-marriage in recent years, which is a pretty stunning progress compared to where it stood two decades ago).

Still optimistic here!
- Thomas Jefferson
(December 2, 2014 at 4:24 pm)watchamadoodle Wrote: Does anybody have any ideas about the future of Christianity in the US?
Its influence will wane very slowly, IMO. They still have political clout and there are large parts of the country where Christianity is quite deeply entrenched. The appearance of "libertarians" could signal a change, as it seems to me that most people who identify as libertarian in the US are really just conservatives who reject most of the faith-based portions of the GOP platform (which doesn't leave much aside from economic policy and gung-ho patriotism, when you think about it).
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
When atheists become the majority the following things will be done.

1. Christmas will be banned
2. The bible will be banned and churches publicly burned to the ground
3. Everyone who is religious will be required to wear identifying tags
4. FEMA death camps

Oh wait, I'm quoting Faux Noise again.
Dying to live, living to die.
(December 2, 2014 at 5:17 pm)Beccs Wrote: 2. The bible will be banned and churches publicly burned to the ground

As far as I am concerned, they can burn these ugly mega churches as quick as they like. But leave the old Cathedrals alone. They're beautiful and witnesses to human ingenuity.

And leave the bible alone too, since it's still of use to historians.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(December 2, 2014 at 5:19 pm)abaris Wrote:
(December 2, 2014 at 5:17 pm)Beccs Wrote: 2. The bible will be banned and churches publicly burned to the ground

As far as I am concerned, they can burn these ugly mega churches as quick as they like. But leave the old Cathedrals alone. They're beautiful and witnesses to human ingenuity.

And leave the bible alone too, since it's still of use to historians.

I agree. I love some of the architecture of the big cathedrals.

And I am completely against the burning/destruction of any books, no matter how much the message offends me. In my home office I have a bible and a Koran.
Dying to live, living to die.
(December 2, 2014 at 5:23 pm)Beccs Wrote: And I am completely against the burning/destruction of any books, no matter how much the message offends me. In my home office I have a bible and a Koran.

I know what you mean. I have a copy of the script of 2004's Catwoman with Halle Berry.
- Thomas Jefferson
It will decline slowly as it is in Europe.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  There will be fewer "cousin" stories in the future, I think. Gawdzilla Sama 0 502 December 15, 2020 at 10:52 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Orthodox Christianity is Best Christianity! Annoyingbutnicetheist 30 6788 January 26, 2016 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  What's the future of Catholic Church and Satan? satan_buttercup 179 29045 August 27, 2015 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Christianity vs Gnostic Christianity themonkeyman 12 8496 December 26, 2013 at 11:00 am
Last Post: pineapplebunnybounce
  Moderate Christianity - Even More Illogical Than Fundamentalist Christianity? Xavier 22 18325 November 23, 2013 at 11:21 am
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)
  In UK Islam is the Future and Christianity is the Past Muslim Scholar 82 24487 June 18, 2013 at 5:16 am
Last Post: Muslim Scholar
  Will there be a church in the future? garbishcan 45 8672 January 19, 2013 at 10:33 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Pope; gay marriage threat to humanity's future Dee Dee Ramone 34 10160 December 26, 2012 at 6:26 pm
Last Post: ThomM
  The future according to the bible Justtristo 7 2532 August 30, 2011 at 8:24 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  New Age Christians and the future of Christianity Loki_999 18 9392 April 29, 2010 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: Welsh cake