Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 6:02 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I feel free!!
I feel free!!
Was forced to be a Christian as a child and hated going to church. I didn't mind the stories about Christ, they were amusing. But the bible is almost impossible for me to read or believe. It seems to me that whenever whoever wrote the bible many people were seeing and hearing things. Today we have a name for that. What if someone today wrote all the things he/she said and heard in their psychosis? Would anyone pay them any mind? The stories from the bible or from my catechism classes, now that I look back, are all fairy tales that in one's right mind wouldn't believe. Why did I take it all so seriously at one time.

I was afraid to do anything because "God" was watching according to the mean priest who gave us a lecture on purity and not touching one another or oneself. Oh the awful fears I had instilled in me.

But now I am free from the church!! I don't believe a lick of that b.s. I'm not even an agnostic because it's absurd to think there even might be a God imho.
[Image: 11591549.jpg]
RE: I feel free!!
(December 18, 2014 at 8:34 am)MissR Wrote: Was forced to be a Christian as a child and hated going to church. I didn't mind the stories about Christ, they were amusing. But the bible is almost impossible for me to read or believe. It seems to me that whenever whoever wrote the bible many people were seeing and hearing things. Today we have a name for that. What if someone today wrote all the things he/she said and heard in their psychosis? Would anyone pay them any mind? The stories from the bible or from my catechism classes, now that I look back, are all fairy tales that in one's right mind wouldn't believe. Why did I take it all so seriously at one time.

I was afraid to do anything because "God" was watching according to the mean priest who gave us a lecture on purity and not touching one another or oneself. Oh the awful fears I had instilled in me.

But now I am free from the church!! I don't believe a lick of that b.s. I'm not even an agnostic because it's absurd to think there even might be a God imho.

With freedom comes great responsibility.

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)
Welcome to the club.
I no longer have any tolerance for Christians, should I? I can't stand to hear "I'll pray for you" any more. Praying seems like begging to someone who isn't even there.

(December 18, 2014 at 8:41 am)Elskidor Wrote: Welcome to the club.
Thanks.Tiger

(December 18, 2014 at 8:36 am)ManMachine Wrote:
(December 18, 2014 at 8:34 am)MissR Wrote: Was forced to be a Christian as a child and hated going to church. I didn't mind the stories about Christ, they were amusing. But the bible is almost impossible for me to read or believe. It seems to me that whenever whoever wrote the bible many people were seeing and hearing things. Today we have a name for that. What if someone today wrote all the things he/she said and heard in their psychosis? Would anyone pay them any mind? The stories from the bible or from my catechism classes, now that I look back, are all fairy tales that in one's right mind wouldn't believe. Why did I take it all so seriously at one time.

With freedom comes great responsibility.

MM
What great responsibility are you speaking of. I am not responsible.
(December 18, 2014 at 8:34 am)MissR Wrote: I was afraid to do anything because "God" was watching according to the mean priest who gave us a lecture on purity and not touching one another or oneself. Oh the awful fears I had instilled in me.

I remembr one of these too. One of us boys brought a playboy magazine to school and one elderly priest saw it. The next 30 minutes he kept shrieking of how these women were the gender of our mothers and how dirty it was to even have a look.

Glad for you, you got over that too.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(December 18, 2014 at 8:47 am)abaris Wrote:
(December 18, 2014 at 8:34 am)MissR Wrote: I was afraid to do anything because "God" was watching according to the mean priest who gave us a lecture on purity and not touching one another or oneself. Oh the awful fears I had instilled in me.

I remembr one of these too. One of us boys brought a playboy magazine to school and one elderly priest saw it. The next 30 minutes he kept shrieking of how these women were the gender of our mothers and how dirty it was to even have a look.

Glad for you, you got over that too.
Yes I did. It was hard at first but hasn't been for quite awhile. I quite enjoy be unpure!! haha.
That is so wonderful, I'm so happy for you! I'm a lifer so I have never felt that feeling. It must be wonderful Smile

It is pretty clear that there are only two possibilities for the many authors of the bible. They were either delusional, or wanted to control people. Mad or lying. And if you say you believe in any of it, I figure you have to be somewhere between those two as well.

I'm sorry you were forced into religion, it's so sad that people feel the need to project their silly beliefs onto their children. From the outside, religion is totally transparent as utter nonsense, but when you're caught up in something and have people telling you it's true all the time, it's hard to think clearly about it.

Welcome to the real world!
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(December 18, 2014 at 9:21 am)robvalue Wrote: That is so wonderful, I'm so happy for you! I'm a lifer so I have never felt that feeling. It must be wonderful Smile

It is pretty clear that there are only two possibilities for the many authors of the bible. They were either delusional, or wanted to control people. Mad or lying. And if you say you believe in any of it, I figure you have to be somewhere between those two as well.

I'm sorry you were forced into religion, it's so sad that people feel the need to project their silly beliefs onto their children. From the outside, religion is totally transparent as utter nonsense, but when you're caught up in something and have people telling you it's true all the time, it's hard to think clearly about it.

Welcome to the real world!

Just FYI, you can be an agnostic atheist, most atheists are. All it means is you don't believe any claims people make about god, but you're not claiming absolute knowledge that such a thing could never exist. Alternatively you can be a gnostic atheist, where you say you do know that no such thing could ever exist. Personally I say I'm an agnostic atheist against general god claims, and a gnostic atheist against god claims that include all powerful, all knowing, all good etc since they are not logically possible.
It's so nice to be in reality. I used to go to a christian forum but never felt I fit there. I didn't agree with anything they said but didn't say anything there because I'd get banned if I did. I got banned anyway. haha. I'm not a bad Christian now, I'm a good atheist! It's so nice to be around others who don't believe in fairy tales, too. I agree about the writers of the bible, mad or liars!
Smile Yup, and if you tell a lie enough times people start mistaking it for the truth. Especially if it's a lie that's been around for a long time, for some reason that makes it more credible.

As far as I'm concerned, the "better" christian you are, the worse you are as a person. I have observed this trend to be very accurate throughout my life. Pretty simple really, the more shit that you take seriously in the bible, the more horrible shit you do.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(December 18, 2014 at 8:44 am)MissR Wrote: I no longer have any tolerance for Christians, should I?
That depends. What kind of person do you want to be?

Welcome to the forums.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Still feel trapped Bohook24 23 8487 June 4, 2013 at 12:49 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger