Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 2:19 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The words man and woman + female and male.
The words man and woman + female and male.
In Arabic there is a completely different words for male and females. In english...there is prefix behind the male word, and it changes it to female. Fe+male, Wo+man.

Does the English signify more equality, less equality or neutral?
RE: The words man and woman + female and male.
Depends. What is the character of those two separare words in arabic? Connotations etc...
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(December 18, 2014 at 7:58 pm)Alex K Wrote: Depends. What is the character of those two separare words in arabic? Connotations etc...

We have two entirely different words for man/woman too after all. We even have four terms if you count "Mann", "Frau", "Männlich", "weiblich".
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(December 18, 2014 at 6:11 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: In Arabic there is a completely different words for male and females. In english...there is prefix behind the male word, and it changes it to female. Fe+male, Wo+man.

I believe that is an individuals attitude, not necessarily having something to do with a specific language. Something like love is different by language, such as the Greek vs English.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
Historically men really referred to both sexes and there is an Old English copy of the Bible which refers to Adam and Eve jointly as men.

Originally the words for man and woman were werman and wifman meaning weapon carrying person and weaving person. Wifman eventually became woman and man specified from person to male person. Wer as a perfix only remains in werewolf.

Male and female have unrelated Latin roots: masculus (masculine) and femella (feminine). The words are not related to each other.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(December 18, 2014 at 6:11 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: In Arabic there is a completely different words for male and females. In english...there is prefix behind the male word, and it changes it to female. Fe+male, Wo+man.

It is especially interesting since the male body is basically a testosterone altered/enhanced version of the basic female platform. So what is true biologically is the reciprocal of what is true in western society.
(December 18, 2014 at 10:50 pm)whateverist Wrote:

It is especially interesting since the male body is basically a testosterone altered/enhanced version of the basic female platform. So what is true biologically is the reciprocal of what is true in western society.

And many males, as they get older, start to look like pregnant women - bodily, anyway.
Dying to live, living to die.
Ugh, don't I know it. Who turned down my metabolism, damn it?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Never ending story: add 3 words! robvalue 9620 551604 August 21, 2023 at 2:01 pm
Last Post: no one
  How to bring equality to man and woman. I have the solution Ramus932 4 551 June 13, 2020 at 9:12 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  As a man of pastels and neon colors. Brian37 22 2325 July 15, 2019 at 11:31 am
Last Post: brewer
  Interlocutor and other ugly words. Succubus 0 208 March 29, 2019 at 10:03 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  I Think We Have A Female Doctor Here. Minimalist 11 1325 September 3, 2018 at 5:58 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  A woman proposes to a man Graufreud 13 1349 August 10, 2018 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: SaStrike
  Cordless headphones, I don't have the words... Gawdzilla Sama 9 1504 July 9, 2018 at 5:44 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Words and cultural differences pocaracas 15 1788 June 3, 2018 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Words... Foxaèr 24 4172 April 3, 2018 at 8:59 am
Last Post: Brian37
  OMG, I keep getting mistaken for a woman. Brian37 20 5265 January 5, 2018 at 7:49 am
Last Post: Brian37