Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 2:02 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Thanking God is Hurtful
Why Thanking God is Hurtful
Quote:We Americans have much to be grateful for: a stable country, a democratic political process, a proud history of scientific progress, and a tradition of standing up for those who need defending, even if we are occasionally slow to rise to their defense.

We give thanks to all those in our lives who help us or are just there for us because it's important to show gratitude for the sacrifices others make on our behalf. Unfortunately, some people have a bad habit of publicly thanking their god for events that went their way, saying, "I survived by the grace of God," or "We're so blessed with good health." They don't understand how thanking a deity for one's own good fortune automatically and unfairly implicates those who face more difficult circumstances.

Take for example some of the survivors of the horrendous school shootings that have recently plagued our nation. When they thank god for letting them live, they are implying that their god actively chose not to save the lives of those who were killed in the incident, either because he loves them less or because their death was just a part of his divine plan. We see this situation repeated with illness, where a sick person thanks god for healing their pneumonia makes someone with another illness feel as though they simply weren't worthy enough to be helped or saved.

Don't religious people find it curious that their god saves seemingly random people, while fating others to painful ends? For every person "saved" by god from disease is an amputee which hasn't been granted a new limb by their god. Was one person simply more deserving of god's favor than the other?

A friend of mine has a teenage son who recently got diagnosed with cancer. As much as I want my daughters to be as healthy as they can be, for me to express thanks for their current cancer-free state wouldn't be a compassionate response to my friend. And if we were believers in an all-good, all-powerful god, such thankful behavior would be worse since it would indicate that god must have chosen one to be sick and the other to be healthy, as if the sick one did something bad, or the healthy one is more moral. All too often, these situations starkly show the lie behind the idea that there's an omnipotent good god.

Most of the people who commit this faux pas have no idea of the impact of their actions, and are just trying to connect the world around them to their faith, or modestly deflect responsibility for good deeds. Although thanking doctors and others who had an observable impact on their condition would be more considerate and have potential benefits down the road. But regardless of their intentions, the impact is the same, and leaves countless individuals wondering what they've done wrong to not receive help from their god.

It's worth mentioning that there are also some people who thank a deity for positive events in their life as a way to brag or display false humility. We all know this type of person, who constantly thanks god for their big house, fast car, or other material possession that is meant to impress friends and acquaintances. Some professional sports players are popular perpetrators of this humble brag, but they are far from being the only ones who act in this distasteful manner.

Gratitude is something we should demonstrate to those we believe responsible for helping us in our time of need, but we should remember to express our gratitude in a way that doesn't hurt those that are still suffering.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/roy-speckh...68988.html
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: Why Thanking God is Hurtful
(December 23, 2014 at 3:19 pm)Sionnach Wrote:
Quote:We Americans have much to be grateful for: a stable country, a democratic political process, a proud history of scientific progress, and a tradition of standing up for those who need defending, even if we are occasionally slow to rise to their defense.

We give thanks to all those in our lives who help us or are just there for us because it's important to show gratitude for the sacrifices others make on our behalf. Unfortunately, some people have a bad habit of publicly thanking their doctor/paramedic for events that went their way, saying, "I survived by the good work of the doctor/paramedic," or "We're so blessed with good health because of good doctors." They don't understand how thanking a doctor/paramedic for one's own good fortune automatically and unfairly implicates those who face more difficult circumstances.

Take for example some of the survivors of the horrendous school shootings that have recently plagued our nation. When they thank teachers for helping them live, they are implying that their teacher actively chose not to save the lives of those who were killed in the incident, either because the teacher loves them less or because their death was just a part of not being in the teachers pet plan. We see this situation repeated with illness, where a sick person thanks a doctor for healing their pneumonia makes someone with another illness feel as though they simply weren't worthy enough to be helped or saved, by the doctor.

Don't secular people find it curious that their doctor saves seemingly random people, while allowing others to painful ends? For every person "saved" by doctors from disease is an amputee which hasn't been granted a new limb by their doctor. Was one person simply more deserving of the doctor's favor than the other?

A friend of mine has a teenage son who recently got diagnosed with cancer. As much as I want my daughters to be as healthy as they can be, for me to express thanks for their current cancer-free state wouldn't be a compassionate response to my friend, even though my daughters might feel unloved. And if we were believers in all-good, all-powerful doctors, such thankful behavior would be worse since it would indicate that doctors must have chosen one not to be healed and the other to be healthy, as if the sick one did something bad, or the healthy one is more able to pay. All too often, these situations starkly show the lie behind the idea that there's an all caring doctor.

Most of the people who commit this faux pas have no idea of the impact of their actions, and are just trying to connect the world around them to their own , or modestly deflect responsibility for good deeds. Although thanking doctors and others who had an observable impact on their condition would be less considerate and have potentially no benefits down the road. But regardless of their intentions, the impact is the same, and leaves countless individuals wondering what they've done wrong to not receive help from their doctors.

It's worth mentioning that there are also some people who thank a person for positive events in their life as a way to brag or display false humility. We all know this type of person, who constantly praise themselves for their big house, fast car, or other material possession that is meant to impress friends and acquaintances. Some professional sports players are popular perpetrators of this humble brag, but they are far from being the only ones who act in this distasteful manner, by flaunting their wealth.

Gratitude is something we should demonstrate to those we believe responsible for helping us in our time of need, but we should remember to express our gratitude in a way that doesn't hurt those that are still suffering.

There fixed that for you, all bold mine. You are seriously deluded by your own despite of Christianity.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
Ah, so you think doctors are omnipotent personalities, G-C? I know you're a fucking idiot but its only a joke that "doctors think they are gods."

Still...

Quote:We Americans have much to be grateful for: a stable country, a democratic political process, a proud history of scientific progress, and a tradition of standing up for those who need defending, even if we are occasionally slow to rise to their defens

I'm not so sure I agree with his rose-colored view of 'Murrica.
(December 23, 2014 at 8:22 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I'm not so sure I agree with his rose-colored view of 'Murrica.

I feel the same way.
~ Erin Hunter
(December 23, 2014 at 3:19 pm)Sionnach Wrote:

We give thanks to all those in our lives who help us or are just there for us because it's important to show gratitude for the sacrifices others make on our behalf. Unfortunately, some people have a bad habit of publicly thanking their god for events that went their way, saying, "I survived by the grace of God," or "We're so blessed with good health." They don't understand how thanking a deity for one's own good fortune automatically and unfairly implicates those who face more difficult circumstances.

Take for example some of the survivors of the horrendous school shootings that have recently plagued our nation. When they thank god for letting them live, they are implying that their god actively chose not to save the lives of those who were killed in the incident, either because he loves them less or because their death was just a part of his divine plan. We see this situation repeated with illness, where a sick person thanks god for healing their pneumonia makes someone with another illness feel as though they simply weren't worthy enough to be helped or saved.

Don't religious people find it curious that their god saves seemingly random people, while fating others to painful ends? For every person "saved" by god from disease is an amputee which hasn't been granted a new limb by their god. Was one person simply more deserving of god's favor than the other?

A friend of mine has a teenage son who recently got diagnosed with cancer. As much as I want my daughters to be as healthy as they can be, for me to express thanks for their current cancer-free state wouldn't be a compassionate response to my friend. And if we were believers in an all-good, all-powerful god, such thankful behavior would be worse since it would indicate that god must have chosen one to be sick and the other to be healthy, as if the sick one did something bad, or the healthy one is more moral. All too often, these situations starkly show the lie behind the idea that there's an omnipotent good god.

Most of the people who commit this faux pas have no idea of the impact of their actions, and are just trying to connect the world around them to their faith, or modestly deflect responsibility for good deeds. Although thanking doctors and others who had an observable impact on their condition would be more considerate and have potential benefits down the road. But regardless of their intentions, the impact is the same, and leaves countless individuals wondering what they've done wrong to not receive help from their god.

It's worth mentioning that there are also some people who thank a deity for positive events in their life as a way to brag or display false humility. We all know this type of person, who constantly thanks god for their big house, fast car, or other material possession that is meant to impress friends and acquaintances. Some professional sports players are popular perpetrators of this humble brag, but they are far from being the only ones who act in this distasteful manner.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/roy-speckh...68988.html

Why would anyone need to have tact and diplomacy spelt out for them?

Oh, this is for an American audience, I see... carry on.

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)
(December 23, 2014 at 8:08 pm)Godschild Wrote: You are seriously deluded by your own despite of Christianity.

GC

I am not the one who believes in an imaginary friend. Therefore, I am not the delusional one.
~ Erin Hunter
Wait... being thankful for doctors and teachers is a mark of delusion?
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
I thank my doctors and friends family and the people who in general helped me.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(December 23, 2014 at 8:57 pm)Tonus Wrote: Wait... being thankful for doctors and teachers is a mark of delusion?

The reason I change the original quote was, to show that placing the doctor and teacher in for god would be just as damaging as the if the writer was correct which he wasn't. The whole thing doesn't make sense, for example the writer assumes or at least wants the reader to assume that all people here everyone praying for others and that's ridiculous. Christians understand that God's not going to heal everyone and unbelievers don't care about God, so as I see it the writers only feeling sorry for himself, he needs to get over it.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
If that is your interpretation, no wonder theists consistently have trouble properly interpreting the bible.
~ Erin Hunter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why most arguments for God prove God. Mystic 67 8485 March 25, 2017 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Fred Hampton
  Question for Theists: The Proble with Thanking God Rhondazvous 43 8933 October 25, 2015 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  God is love. God is just. God is merciful. Chad32 62 19146 October 21, 2014 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Cheerful Charlie
  Why, why, why? Little Rik 39 11496 June 14, 2013 at 9:27 am
Last Post: Little Rik