Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 8:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
God Is Not Great
God Is Not Great
Worth picking up?

Persuade me.
"Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, it takes Religion."
-Steven Weinberg
RE: God Is Not Great
Interesting.
I like the book, but there is nothing in there that would make me become an atheist if I were a theist. But a good read none the less.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
It's more of a criticism of organised religion (i.e. anti-theism, anti-religion) than a pro-atheist book. It's very well written though.
Hmm, okay. How's Hitchen's' writing in terms of difficulty? I understand most college-level writing... I'm just making sure I'm not going to be spending 15 bucks on a book that I can't fully understand.
His position is very simple.

God is bullshit but "religion" is real and it is very dangerous in the hands of the ignorant twits who swear by it.

I doubt you'll have any trouble following his writing.

But here is the preview from Google.books so you can see for yourself.

http://books.google.com/books?id=8kgjU4w...q=&f=false
Hitchens is a great author, he puts his point across very well with little bias.
I haven't read it in a while but I remember some points that are slightly biased. It is a great read nonetheless Smile
"God is dead" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Faith is what you have in things that DON'T exist. - Homer J. Simpson
Good book, very funny in places.
Hitchins vitriol at religions is well thought out and eloquent.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(February 26, 2010 at 11:45 pm)Arivaderchi Wrote: Hmm, okay. How's Hitchen's' writing in terms of difficulty? I understand most college-level writing... I'm just making sure I'm not going to be spending 15 bucks on a book that I can't fully understand.

I doubt that will be a problem.

The guy is a journalist. The literacy is about senior high school level at best.

Yes,I've read it.It's a polemic, not a philosophical treatise. I didn't notice any new or profound thinking,and don't agree with much of his anti religion position. I find much of Hitchens rather shallow,simplistic and emotional.

Dawkins is better, as long as he sticks to his discipline.

Do I recommend reading Hitchens? I guess, as long as you don't spend any money. I'd recommend Bertrand Russell 'Why I Am Not a Christian' as a good place to start instead.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Great Missed Opportunities in Movies. Gawdzilla Sama 5 676 October 25, 2023 at 4:31 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  For a great love story Foxaèr 5 655 July 21, 2021 at 11:19 am
Last Post: AkiraTheViking
  Great Poetry Zazzy 176 30088 August 15, 2019 at 9:03 pm
Last Post: Belacqua
  Great Classical Music that Doesn't Sound Like Church? God of Mr. Hanky 25 3820 January 14, 2016 at 8:05 pm
Last Post: abaris
  Great obscure movies? Rev. Rye 12 4672 January 5, 2013 at 1:24 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  April: God is Not Great. - Christopher Hitchens Darwinian 2 2637 September 3, 2009 at 3:30 pm
Last Post: socialchameleon