Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 5:03 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Great Classical Music that Doesn't Sound Like Church?
Great Classical Music that Doesn't Sound Like Church?
I feel like something beautiful was taken from me, and I'd like to get it back somehow Deadpan - I was forced to spend beautiful Spring days in a country podunk church with smelly old people, as they coughed, croaked, and farted out the most dreary-sounding old hymns scored to classical melodies, and the only instrumental accompaniment was a cheap organ played horribly by an old sack which often fell asleep at the bench. Confused On account of this, I have found it very difficult to really enjoy most classical music, although I recognize much of it as very beautiful and potentially inspiring. I feel the need for classical music which is inspiring (although not vapidly bright) while I fight depression, but it needs to be something other than the big four for Jeebus (Beethoven, Mozart, Bach, Handel). Maybe something similar to Vivaldi's style, any instruments. Can you think of any?
Mr. Hanky loves you!
RE: Great Classical Music that Doesn't Sound Like Church?
Let's see how jaded you are about the organ, first.

Try this:

If Bach's little fugue can't revitalize your interest in the hands of a capable organist then we can move on to something else.
Don't be so quick to judge Mozart. This one, he certainly didn't compose for any church or to praise Jesus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbrXZvu8bUo

It's called "Kiss my Ass".
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(January 10, 2016 at 1:18 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Let's see how jaded you are about the organ, first.

Try this:

If Bach's little fugue can't revitalize your interest in the hands of a capable organist then we can move on to something else.

Like you said, it'a a bit jaded, but not quite as dull as most of the shit which was written for the tired old 16th Century hymns still heard in churches today.
Mr. Hanky loves you!
Okay then.  So progressing slowly here is Vivaldi's Op. 3 #8

And then this is Bach's transcription of it for organ.

The organ is an amazing instrument....but churchy shit can ruin it.
I am a Bach fanatic, so I'll implore you to check out his secular works rather than settle for Vivaldi(what a terrible thought). For example:

https://youtu.be/upyIvoWdNFQ
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Always good to start with

My personal all time favorite.
"For the only way to eternal glory is a life lived in service of our Lord, FSM; Verily it is FSM who is the perfect being the name higher than all names, king of all kings and will bestow upon us all, one day, The great reclaiming"  -The Prophet Boiardi-

Conservative trigger warning.
[Image: s-l640.jpg]

(January 10, 2016 at 2:47 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Okay then.  So progressing slowly here is Vivaldi's Op. 3 #8

And then this is Bach's transcription of it for organ.

The organ is an amazing instrument....but churchy shit can ruin it.

Thanks, that is a nice piece by Bach, and I'm already a Vivaldi fan.

The organ, especially the large pipe organs sound quite nice when played well. Even a cheap one can sound ok with good music to play and a decent organist. You would probably laugh till you drop if you saw and heard what my church did to organ music!

So, there's Vivaldi and Bach. Tchaikovsky, Brahms, Mussorgsky, and even Wagner are interesting too, if also a bit dark and often weird. Any other artists or pieces you can think of? Something uplifting, like Vivaldis Four Seasons?
Mr. Hanky loves you!

Bach's Catana's often fall under the radar.

If you enjoy Brahm, This will also do you well to give a listen to.
"For the only way to eternal glory is a life lived in service of our Lord, FSM; Verily it is FSM who is the perfect being the name higher than all names, king of all kings and will bestow upon us all, one day, The great reclaiming"  -The Prophet Boiardi-

Conservative trigger warning.
[Image: s-l640.jpg]

Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto #1 in B flat?

"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Great Missed Opportunities in Movies. Gawdzilla Sama 5 685 October 25, 2023 at 4:31 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Looking for country music singers similar to Alan Jackson rado84 5 613 July 31, 2023 at 10:27 am
Last Post: rado84
  Christian music you actually like? JairCrawford 31 2719 June 17, 2022 at 10:58 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  New Ahem Music Istvan 1 406 March 20, 2022 at 3:39 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  New music, Old music Ahriman 79 6330 November 5, 2021 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Listening to music popeyespappy 35 3491 September 27, 2021 at 10:20 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  For a great love story Foxaèr 5 666 July 21, 2021 at 11:19 am
Last Post: AkiraTheViking
  Music Composition FlatAssembler 1 251 May 22, 2020 at 3:08 pm
  Carrie fans and country music. Brian37 13 1159 May 16, 2020 at 8:54 pm
  My new favorite song of all time excluding classical music Alex K 1 591 January 26, 2020 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye