Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which programming language
Which programming language
Still no computing section I see Dodgy

Anyway, I have been using Delphi for years and for me it works really well. But lately I've been thinking that it might be a good idea to get a more up to date environment and as I despise anything after Delphi 7 I have to look to other systems.

At the moment I'm downloading Visual Basic 2008 Enterprise to see what that's like. Has anyone had any experience of this and if so, is it any good.

I'm also considering Java, but, cross platform programming isn't really an issue for me.

So, what languages would you suggest?
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
RE: Which programming language
Java isn't just about cross platform engineering, please don't think that. It's a powerful language in its own right, and an increasingly popular one because of its error handling and general ease of use. C++ is unusable in comparison IMO.
Python.

The learning curve is amazingly easy.
I'm still using Lovelace.
"On Earth as it is in Heaven, the Cosmic Roots of the Bible" available on the Amazon.
Why is it that every time I open a Java program my heart sinks to my shoes, because I know it will be slow as shit?
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Thanks for all the advise everyone but I'm sticking with Delphi. It simply does everything I want it to and I can programme quickly as it's like a second language, which, I suppose it is Big Grin
(February 28, 2010 at 12:03 pm)leo-rcc Wrote: Why is it that every time I open a Java program my heart sinks to my shoes, because I know it will be slow as shit?
Are you joking? :S

Java 6 is only about twice as a slow as C++, and in terms of computer speeds, that's an unnoticeable value. It's slower because it has a JVM doing all the work, rather than running with machine code (not that there aren't compilers that reduce it down to machine code though). This is beneficial because you don't have to write different code for multiple platforms (or multiple hardware configurations), the language is typesafe, and it has no memory leaks because the memory management and garbage collection is all automated.

(February 28, 2010 at 12:06 pm)Darwinian Wrote: Thanks for all the advise everyone but I'm sticking with Delphi. It simply does everything I want it to and I can programme quickly as it's like a second language, which, I suppose it is Big Grin
I thought you were looking for another language because Delphi is outdated? Don't give up...it takes barely any time at all to learn a programming language these days. I'd advise downloading Netbeans and giving Java a go, even if you just do a couple of the Sun tutorials: http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/
I've done quite a lot of research about the various languages, including Delphi and am warmed by the fact that many applications and programmes from shareware all the way to professional out of the box products are still written in Delphi.

Most Delphi programmers are very loyal to it and see no reason to change as it can do everything they want it too and as I know it back to front and upside down I think I'll stick with it. Not to mention the huge support for components and the like from places like torry.net and the huge amount of code that I've already built up.

Basically Delphi is to me as Linux is to you..

Delphi FTW Big Grin
Make that UNIX, given that I'm a Mac user now Tongue

Well I wouldn't dare limit my programming ability by only focusing on one programming language. I think it's a rather silly thing to do (no offence meant though, it's just my personal view), especially with the rate at which the industry is growing. I use Java as my main language, but that hasn't stopped me learning PHP, Ruby, C++, C#, etc. Once exams are over and I'm free, I'll be learning Python as I've only heard good things about it.

The one thing you'll find when using Java (if you decide to do a tutorial or two for fun) is that it is mind-numbingly obvious and intuitive to use. It's a bit like Ruby in that respect...they've designed it with the programmer in mind. You can create a GUI in a couple of lines, and the API unlocks methods for doing pretty much anything.
Ok, I'll have a look at Java but remember that I'm a self employed programmer and don't need to what the industry wants.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  learning a certain language to communicate to believers and the religious Quill01 13 947 January 8, 2024 at 9:49 pm
Last Post: neil
  Which do you want to go? Foxaèr 13 792 October 18, 2023 at 10:49 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Which famous clone would you adopt? Fake Messiah 10 949 January 24, 2023 at 7:49 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Which TV game show would you win? Fake Messiah 6 842 January 18, 2023 at 11:18 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Which is worse? Foxaèr 13 624 February 23, 2022 at 8:59 am
Last Post: brewer
  Which one is the correct phrase? brewer 20 1908 September 21, 2021 at 7:20 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Which ancient thread of mine should I necro? Foxaèr 11 597 August 25, 2021 at 7:15 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  One thing I hate about the human language. Brian37 13 1137 June 25, 2021 at 11:19 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Question regarding language Macoleco 4 597 June 6, 2021 at 12:35 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Which console zo buy a 12-year-old kid? franzis 20 2430 February 23, 2020 at 4:30 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13