Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 8:47 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Large Hadron Collider refit to solve more questions
Large Hadron Collider refit to solve more questions
about the beginnings of the universe.

And Creatards announce they will have a collective diarrhea hemmorhage.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/01/the-l...-universe/
RE: Large Hadron Collider refit to solve more questions
(January 4, 2015 at 4:30 pm)Minimalist Wrote: about the beginnings of the universe.

And Creatards announce they will have a collective diarrhea hemmorhage.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/01/the-l...-universe/

They will go on full ignore as always. If it isn't in the bible, they don't need to know it.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
But then we shove it up their asses so they do feel compelled to invent a reason why it isn't true.
That's a nice article... Also quite a bit of standard propaganda in it though which I find a bit misleading.
Since this is my professional specialty, I'll write something up with pics exclusively for yall when it starts up again.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Alex I know you said wait, but I can't.

Dark Matter
1. Why is it important?
2. If the LHC can not detect it then is it not proving a false positive to say no energy or momentum was detected?

As i recall if they prove supersymmetrical particles exist, this disproves creation...correct? Or am I misinformed (ok to tell me the truth)
Lol, gimme an hour to have breakfast, then I'll write something Smile
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

Too late, I'm calling shenanigans. Religion is over. Spread the word!
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Religious perspective:
OOh huge article, Let's read it
blah blah, scientists say, blah blah blah blah. Blah blah Distant galaxy.... blah blah dark matter blah bah.
Ah so the devil exists and is now proven by science, all praise the lord!
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(January 4, 2015 at 10:17 pm)polar bear Wrote: Alex I know you said wait, but I can't.

Dark Matter
1. Why is it important?
According to several lines of measurements, it makes up roughly three quarters of matter in the universe. Furthermore, the current Standard Model of particle physics has no explanation of dark matter. Understanding the phenomenon of dark matter therefore means understanding what makes up the majority of stuff in the universe as well as gaining a direct insight into the fundamental laws of nature.

The historically first evidence for dark matter came from gravitational modifications of large objects such as galaxies and galaxy clusters. Why? They exhibit rotational velocities which can only be sustained without the galaxy flying apart if there is more gravity than ordinary matter could exert. One way to attempt and fix this is by modifying the laws of gravity themselves, which from a theoreticians point of view would be much more interesting than adding dark matter, because it could cut directly to the core of the general theory of relativity and thus possibly quantum gravity. However, there are at least two strong arguments why this cannot be the sole explanation.

Firstly, objects like the bullet cluster show us that the strong additional gravity can be separated from the visible ordinary matter:
[Image: 1e0657.png]
We observe here two galaxy clusters which have collided 100 million years ago and have since separated. The hot gas which makes up the majority of matter was ripped away from between the stars through friction, and is made visible as pink. The strength of gravity is made visible in blue from gravity lensing effects, and you can plainly see that it does not align with the hot gas any more. This is a very strong indication that some frictionless dark matter has moved on beyond the pink gaseous shockwaves and exerts the majority of gravity.
Such effects of separation between gravity and matter cannot easily be obtained by modifying the way ordinary matter produces gravity - a new type of non-radiating matter is a much more parsimonious and predictive explanation.

Secondly, we today have independent evidence for dark matter and dark energy from an independent measurement going back all the way to the very early universe, namely the cosmic microwave background. It was emitted 400 000 years after the would-be singularity, when the universe cooled below ~ 3000 centigrade. Having the form of a bright flash of light back then, its waves were since stretched 1100-fold by the expansion of space. Consequently, they now have the form of 2.7 Kelvin microwave radiation coming in from all directions. Measurements of the CMB and supernova distance/brightness/redshift measurements allow us to obtain independent confirmation of dark matter and dark energy. Since we know the production process in the hot plasma back then, the size of features in the CMB observed today can tell us whether space is curved: spatial curvature would act as a giant lens through which this ancient radiation has propagated towards us and magnify or render smaller these features.

[Image: SNECMBLSS.png]

The CMB ellipse are obtained from measurements of the microwave background mainly by the WMAP and Planck satellites. The SNe ellipse comes from Supernova redshift measurements which are complementary because they can measure the expansion history of the universe, whereas the CMB mainly tells us that the universe is flat, and to a certain extent what amount of baryonic (=ordinary) matter is present. At the meeting point of the ellipses, you can read off (roughly speaking, as long as one is on the "flat" curve) the percentage of dark energy on the y axis and the percentage of matter on the x axis.

There is a further important line of evidence pertaining to the observed large scale structures of the universe which I'm too lazy to mention in detail here.
Quote:2. If the LHC can not detect it then is it not proving a false positive to say no energy or momentum was detected?
I'm not sure I understand the question. The LHC can find evidence for dark matter through so-called "missing transverse momentum", which means that the momentum of produced particles seemingly does not balance out. This is evidence for having produced a new type of particle which has a relatively long or infinite lifetime and is invisible to detectors. We do indeed observe such missing momentum signatures at the LHC, but we already know particles which have such an effect, namely neutrinos (which cannot provide the majority of Dark Matter because they are too light and too hot). However, we can precisely calculate the missing momentum expected from Neutrinos and then look for additional signatures. So far, none have been found.

If the LHC fails to find such signatures, this does merely mean that dark matter particles, if they exist, do not have properties suitable for observation at hadron colliders of that energy. They could either be too heavy, or too weakly interacting to be produced copiously.
Quote:As i recall if they prove supersymmetrical particles exist, this disproves creation...correct? Or am I misinformed (ok to tell me the truth)

I have no idea why such a discovery would have any more impact on disproving creation than any other scientific discovery, past or future. Supersymmetry is not something magical, it is a mathematically very fascinating extension of the theory of relativity which primarily manifests through certain new types of particles, some of which could play the role of dark matter - that's quite something, but that's all there is to it.

THANK YOU so much for taking your time to answer these questions!

It means a lot to me!

Again, THANKS

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SMASH Theory Claims to Solve 5 Major Questions of Physics AFTT47 0 1241 February 20, 2017 at 10:14 pm
Last Post: AFTT47
  Timelapse: Cerro Paranal Skies Above the Very Large Telescope orogenicman 6 2585 December 28, 2011 at 11:20 am
Last Post: orogenicman