Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 8:51 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Physics questions about light
Physics questions about light
I guess there should be an "Alex answers. . . " section, since I can guess who will answer this one.

1.  About the passage of light across boundaries of different density and the subsequent bending.  Does a photon's path actually change, or is it the absorption/re-ejection of the photon by atoms that somehow changes the angle?

2.  In double slit experiment involving prisms and semi-reflective mirrors and entangled photons, doesn't the photons' interactions with those matter?  In diagrams of the experiments, it's just said that 1/2 of photons "pass through" the material, and 1/2 do not.  Is that really an accurate description of what happens? Or are photons getting absorbed and re-transmitted a gazillion times before they reach their final destination on a photographic plate or whatever?
RE: Physics questions about light
I don't think a 'given' photon could be absorbed and then 'instantly' re-emitted (recreated, reconstituted, reborn) at the same energy and traveling in the same direction as the original
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Are we talking photons travelling straight through gravitationally bent space or the natural unpinpointable path of a wave of photons?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Not an easy question at all, bennyboy!

Imagine you set up an interferometer involving a beam splitting mirror. In principle, one should be able to tell from the movement of the mirror whether the photon passed or was diverted, bc in the latter case the mirror absorbs the change in photon momentum. Quantum uncertainty in the mirror position and momentum must somehow conspire to render this unobservable, but I don't have a satisfactory full answer yet.

As to the other one, yes, from the point of view of feynman diagrams, the change in dispersion relation must come from interactions with the material, and in QED that always means obsorption and reemission. Again, this must happen in a coherent fashion...
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Is this behavior (absorb/emit) particle or wave description? Seems like describing the phenom in the OP as a wave gives the best answer.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(September 19, 2016 at 8:19 am)mh.brewer Wrote: Is this behavior (absorb/emit) particle or wave description? Seems like describing the phenom in the OP as a wave gives the best answer.

The full quantum theoretic description does not, I would say, introduce this dichotomy all that explicitly, but it employs what looks more like a wave picture up until the particles are detected using a position measurement, at which point the distribution of the quantum wave simply gives you the probability distribution of your position measurement for the particle. As soon as this position measurement has passed, the particle, if it still exists, is again described by a wave.

The incoming particles of, say, photon-electron scattering, are described as a two-particle wave of a certain size, details depending on the quantum uncertainty of their initial positions, momenta and whether they are entangled.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

(September 19, 2016 at 8:37 am)Alex K Wrote:
(September 19, 2016 at 8:19 am)mh.brewer Wrote: Is this behavior (absorb/emit) particle or wave description? Seems like describing the phenom in the OP as a wave gives the best answer.

The full quantum theoretic description does not, I would say, introduce this dichotomy all that explicitly, but it employs what looks more like a wave picture up until the particles are detected using a position measurement, at which point the distribution of the quantum wave simply gives you the probability distribution of your position measurement for the particle. As soon as this position measurement has passed, the particle, if it still exists, is again described by a wave.

The incoming particles of, say, photon-electron scattering, are described as a two-particle wave of a certain size, details depending on the quantum uncertainty of their initial positions, momenta and whether they are entangled.

Sorry Alex. You'll need to dumb that down a little for this physics tard.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(September 19, 2016 at 8:46 am)mh.brewer Wrote: Sorry Alex. You'll need to dumb that down a little for this physics tard.

Biiiig particle crush like club, make lightning!

No, kidding.

I was going to say, the maths at almost all stages describes "particles" using waves, where the amplitude of the wave at each point specifies the probability to find the particle there if you look. Only when experiments are described where the position is actually measured, does one treat the particle like a point particle. Whenever it does anything by itself though, it behaves wavey.

(September 19, 2016 at 2:14 am)Alex K Wrote: As to the other one, yes, from the point of view of feynman diagrams, the change in dispersion relation must come from interactions with the material, and in QED that always means obsorption and reemission. Again, this must happen in a coherent fashion...

Are photons considered to have anything like an identity? If, for example, a photon is absorbed by an atom and then reemitted, is it a "new" photon, or the "same" photon, or is the question meaningless in this context? For example, will the reemitted photon, if previously entangled with another, keep that entangled property, or will it kind of "reset"?

I'm sorry, I'm sure these are all first-year n00b questions that I'm asking, but I find it hard to continue on with my philosophical discussions about the nature of reality when I don't understand the best ideas physicists have right now. Your help so far has been VERY educational and very much appreciated, I'm sure not only by me.
you don't get the original photon back when an atom absorbs it and later emits one
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Physics Puzzle onlinebiker 32 2023 July 21, 2020 at 4:07 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  Did Einstein Say Light is Massive? Rhondazvous 25 3144 July 8, 2019 at 10:15 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Physics questions ignoramus 21 1877 May 9, 2019 at 6:27 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Puzzling thing about Speed of Light/Speed of Causality vulcanlogician 25 2642 August 24, 2018 at 11:05 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How Cn Gravity Affect Light When Light Has No Mass? Rhondazvous 18 1849 March 2, 2018 at 10:51 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  An Interesting thing About Light Rhondazvous 14 2371 October 31, 2017 at 5:33 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Quantum Physics Craziness! LadyForCamus 19 1825 October 12, 2017 at 2:26 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  The Physics of Guinness thesummerqueen 23 7493 September 2, 2017 at 8:25 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  Organic Molecules Found 400 Light Years From Earth Minimalist 364 55159 August 21, 2017 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Does Physics now have a complete description of Nature? Jehanne 32 4388 April 10, 2017 at 11:14 am
Last Post: dyresand