Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 8:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
some questions about the age (of earth, universe, etc.)
some questions about the age (of earth, universe, etc.)
I know I once read something about the subject, but I remember it was quite vague and wasn't too much about it.

I'm interested in these issues (and I suppose some of you can give me some answers or some links for answers):
1. How is the age of the universe calculated?
2. How is the age of our earth calculated?
3. How do people measure the distances between stars and other celestial objects? (I'm mostly interested in those that are very far away).

P.S. If this is important, know that I do not have very advanced knowledge of physics, nor know too many things about cosmology (well, if I knew too much about cosmology then I wouldn't have asked these questions)
RE: some questions about the age (of earth, universe, etc.)
(June 9, 2011 at 1:28 pm)Zenith Wrote: I know I once read something about the subject, but I remember it was quite vague and wasn't too much about it.

I'm interested in these issues (and I suppose some of you can give me some answers or some links for answers):
1. How is the age of the universe calculated?
2. How is the age of our earth calculated?
3. How do people measure the distances between stars and other celestial objects? (I'm mostly interested in those that are very far away).

P.S. If this is important, know that I do not have very advanced knowledge of physics, nor know too many things about cosmology (well, if I knew too much about cosmology then I wouldn't have asked these questions)

For your question 1 and 3, you need some background knowledge to make sense of any answer. So here we go: The calculation of the age of the universe, the determination of the composition of the very far objects like stars and galaxies, the measurement of distance to very far stars, and measurement of the speed with which a very far star is approaching and receeding from us are intricately related.

1. The composition of the atmosphere of a star, gases in galaxies, and such can be determined by looking for unique patterns of bands of light or darkness in the spectrum of their light. This pattern is called obsorption lines. What element makes what absorption patterns is easy to determine in the laboratory.

2. How fast a star is approaching and receeding from us can be determined by looking at how far the particular patterns of obsorption lines is displaced from their normal position in the electro-magnetic spectrum, which can be determined easily in the laboratory. The displacement of the obsorption lines exhibits a property called doppler effect. Obsorption lines of objects receeding from us shifts to the red side of spectrum, those of objects approaching us shifts to the blue side. For simplicity let's call them, as astronomers do, red shift and blue shift. The greater the red shift, the faster the recession.

3. How far any arbitray isolated star is from us is normally hard to determine, but when particular type of star explodes the distance to the explosion is easy to determine. This type of explosion is called type I super nova, and all type I super nova falls within an very narrow range of brightness. Type I super nova is thus called a "standard candle". If you know how bright a candle is close up, and you can measure how bright it appears to you from the distance, you can immediately determine what that distance is. Similarly if you see a type I super nova exploding, and you can measure its brightness as seen by you, then you know how far it is. Most stars occur in galaxies. So if you see a type I super nova exploding inside a galaxy, you know how far that galaxy is from us, and hence how far all the stars of that galaxy is from us.

We can combine distance measurement via type I super nova, and speed of recession measured via red-shift into a single plot, we find a very powerful pattern. The farther a distant galaxy, the faster it is receeding from us. Sparing you of complications, the age of the universe can thus be measured in principle by tracing backwards in time, and finding how long ago it must have been when the the receeding galaxies where together at the same point. The current best estimate is that was 13.1 billion years ago. So the universe in a form similar to ours was created 13.1 billion years ago.

For your question 2, some background in radioactive decay is needed. All radioactive elements are in the process of transforming themselves into another element. The rate at which the transformation occurs is directly observed in the laboratory to be essentially invariant, and indirectly inferred to be unchanging by noting that their effects had been the same far back in time. Consequently, it you know the rate at which a particular original radioactive element is changing to another resultant element, and you can measure how much of the original element still remain, and how much of it has already changed to the resultant element, then you know how long the original elements have been changing. Ratioactivity thus makes minerals containing both the original and resultant elements into a kind of clock, able to tell when the resultant elements first started to accummulate inside the minerals.

Now when the earth, or indeed the whole solar system, was first forming, we have powerful reasons to believe many types of minerals containing radioactive elements have had any previously accummulated resultant elements purged. Thus for these minerals their radioactive clock was reset to zero. By measuring how much the radioactive clock has run since, we know how old the earth, the moon, etc, is. The best estimate of the age of the earth currently is 4.56 billion years.

Currently there is no good estimate on how long it will be before creationists stop putting out bullshit in defiance of these realities.
RE: some questions about the age (of earth, universe, etc.)
(June 9, 2011 at 2:32 pm)Chuck Wrote:

That is useful information. Can you please suggest me a good book on the subject to study more about it?

Quote:Now when the earth, or indeed the whole solar system, was first forming, we have powerful reasons to believe many types of minerals containing radioactive elements have had any previously accummulated resultant elements purged. Thus for these minerals their radioactive clock was reset to zero. By measuring how much the radioactive clock has run since, we know how old the earth, the moon, etc, is. The best estimate of the age of the earth currently is 4.56 billion years.

Can you please give more details regarding this:
"we have powerful reasons to believe many types of minerals containing radioactive elements have had any previously accummulated resultant elements purged. Thus for these minerals their radioactive clock was reset to zero."
?

I mean, the specific reasons.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is it possible that the universe could be eternal??... dave4shmups 145 16617 August 9, 2023 at 11:13 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Earth's Gravity Hole Bucky Ball 2 568 July 29, 2023 at 1:27 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  The Universe Is Not Locally Real Foxaèr 52 5177 December 31, 2022 at 2:11 pm
  The shape of Earth h311inac311 162 25208 December 4, 2022 at 1:06 am
  Young Earth Creationism LinuxGal 3 812 November 26, 2022 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Infinite Universe? JairCrawford 13 1164 May 4, 2022 at 5:17 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Earth’s energy budget is out of balance Jehanne 5 587 August 20, 2021 at 2:09 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Now we know when the first stars in the universe switched on Foxaèr 1 405 June 28, 2021 at 6:47 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Another universe existed before ours Foxaèr 27 2460 November 29, 2020 at 10:05 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  NASA: Asteroid Could Still Hit Earth in 2068 WinterHold 52 4364 November 7, 2020 at 2:42 pm
Last Post: WinterHold