Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:54 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SpaceX soft landing fails
SpaceX soft landing fails
Better luck next time

The company CEO Elon Musk tweeted that the booster hit the platform hard.

"Close, but no cigar," he added. "Bodes well for the future tho'. Ship itself is fine. Some of the support equipment on the deck will need to be replaced." And he continued: "Didn't get good landing/impact video. Pitch dark and foggy. Will piece it together from telemetry and... actual pieces."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-30752515
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

RE: SpaceX soft landing fails
Better a hard landing than a crash!

*waves around his Go Elon Musk! pompoms*
Oops.

Shit happens.
Reminds me of.....

Quote:An airline pilot wrote that on this particular flight he had hammered his ship into the runway really hard. The airline had a policy which required the first officer to stand at the door while the passengers exited, smile, and give them a, "Thanks for flying XYZ airline." He said that in light of his bad landing, he had a hard time looking the passengers in the eye, thinking that someone would have a smart comment. Finally, everyone had gotten off except for this little old lady walking with a cane. She said, "Sonny, did we land or were we shot down?"
(January 11, 2015 at 1:06 am)Minimalist Wrote: Reminds me of.....

Reminds me of a particularly hard landing coming into Anchorage - reminiscent of a hard landing on a carrier deck. On exiting the cabin, I commented to the crewman at the door: "Navy pilot, eh?"
Apparently the stage ran out of hydraulic power just before touch down. Next flight already had an increase in the works, so considering we are talking rockets here, a fairly benign failure.
So, not quite lithobraking...what should we call this new method that SpaceX is pioneering "navibraking" perhaps?
(jokes aside, it's good shit - hand me those pompoms)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(January 11, 2015 at 11:45 am)Rhythm Wrote: So, not quite lithobraking...what should we call this new method that SpaceX is pioneering "navibraking" perhaps?
(jokes aside, it's good shit - hand me those pompoms)

Good thing I always bring a spare pair!

Or twenty...

Also I give out tesla-coil-shaped cupcakes, too...

And the grab bags have model Tesla S' in them, too.

I might be a bit of a fanboy.
(January 11, 2015 at 1:14 am)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:
(January 11, 2015 at 1:06 am)Minimalist Wrote: Reminds me of.....

Reminds me of a particularly hard landing coming into Anchorage - reminiscent of a hard landing on a carrier deck. On exiting the cabin, I commented to the crewman at the door: "Navy pilot, eh?"

If it was an airforce pilot, you'd be asking in the morgue.
Angel
(January 11, 2015 at 2:14 pm)Creed of Heresy Wrote: Good thing I always bring a spare pair!

Or twenty...

Also I give out tesla-coil-shaped cupcakes, too...

And the grab bags have model Tesla S' in them, too.

I might be a bit of a fanboy.

You have a shocking disregard for my diet... Undecided

I'll just take... the lot, yeah? I'd like the lot.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  China soft lands a probe on Mars. Anomalocaris 16 1446 October 28, 2021 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  SpaceX reusable rocket zebo-the-fat 3 731 November 24, 2015 at 9:27 pm
Last Post: AFTT47
  Mars landing in about 2 hours popeyespappy 53 17624 August 7, 2012 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris