Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 12:21 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chile quake may have shortened day
Chile quake may have shortened day
http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2010/03/02...quake.html

That just blows my mind. I never knew such a thing was possible. Granted the shortened day wouldn't be terribly noticed by us, I'm sure it has some implications.

And of course, the fact that there is another massive earthquake so soon after Haiti is tragic. I'll be donating when I get paid this week. Fortunately, Chile had better building codes, so even with the higher magnitude, there wasn't a loss of life on scale with Haiti. Of course any loss of life is sad.

Oh and you can bet Pat Robertson opened his hate filled mouth again: http://open.salon.com/blog/the_desperate...than_haiti
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
RE: Chile quake may have shortened day
(March 2, 2010 at 11:09 am)Eilonnwy Wrote: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2010/03/02...quake.html

That just blows my mind. I never knew such a thing was possible. Granted the shortened day wouldn't be terribly noticed by us, I'm sure it has some implications.

And of course, the fact that there is another massive earthquake so soon after Haiti is tragic. I'll be donating when I get paid this week. Fortunately, Chile had better building codes, so even with the higher magnitude, there wasn't a loss of life on scale with Haiti. Of course any loss of life is sad.

Oh and you can bet Pat Robertson opened his hate filled mouth again: http://open.salon.com/blog/the_desperate...than_haiti

Amazing isn't it?? And humans reckon they are so guilty of global warming.

ROFLOL

We heard it on the nightly news ...it only received passing comment... but awsome none the less.

Couple more 8.5 Earthquakes and we can flip the whole planet?? Would be fun. Confusedhock:

Seriously though, it is very sad that people are hurting. I wonder why there wasn't a contingency plan in the event of an earthquake of this size. It isn't as though Chile is unacustomed to earthquakes.

Pat Robinson is afraid that his god might find him ....no sane person listens to that crap...except some silly people.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Chile was better accustomed as evidenced by the smaller death toll in comparison to Haiti. Also they had Tsunamis to contend with.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
Quote:I’d say it must have to do with Chile’s persecution and attempted prosecution of their great former leader, and a personal hero of mine, Augusto Pinochet

Tells one all one needs to know about Robertson. No wonder Republicans love his sorry ass.
Eilon Wrote:Of course any loss of life is sad.

I'm not terribly hurt from that last beef jerky to be honest Smile

Then again, I am utterly disconnected from "reality"... soooo.... Tongue
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Frankly, I am absolutely amazed that an earthquake can do such a thing. It's awesome.

Now, as for Pat Robertson, that dildo needs to shut his asshole mouth. He disgusts me in so many ways, let's just add this to the list.
Nothing is your own except the few cubic centimeters inside your skull. - George Orwell
It is totally awesome that an earthquake can do that. I've read papers about the possibility that it could happen. That being said, I am none the less amazed. Sometimes we get a nice reminder that we are on a rock floating through outer space.

It is an awful scenario. I'm sure it was very frightening and tragic for witnesses and victims. It must have been nothing short of awe-inspiring (and I don't mean that in a good way). I read somewhere that when you figure in the exponential increase in power as the points go up on the scale, the Chile quake can be measured as 500x as powerful as the Haiti quake. I'll come back with a source for that, in a moment.

Here's one. Not the same, but it will do. http://articles.latimes.com/2010/feb/28/...-2010feb28
How many religious fanatics have made this earthquake their new 'doomsday' message yet? Smile
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(March 3, 2010 at 7:12 am)Saerules Wrote: How many religious fanatics have made this earthquake their new 'doomsday' message yet? Smile

Didn't you know that the Chile quake was the just the beginning? It's all going down in 2012. There will be hell on Earth! Volcanoes will simultaneously erupt! The Earth will flip on its side! The oceans will pour into our streets! Repent the end is nigh!

(sorry, didn't mean to make light of it)
I thought personally that the fact that the earthquake in Chile was sufficient enough to shorten a day was nothing short of amazing. Pat Robertson needs to have himself a good old fashioned massive stroke so he can shut the fuck up.
There is nothing people will not maintain when they are slaves to superstition

http://chatpilot-godisamyth.blogspot.com/

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  May announces £60 million to tackle plastic in oceans Fake Messiah 1 371 April 20, 2018 at 9:13 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Darbandikhan Dam damaged in quake vorlon13 4 682 November 13, 2017 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Well, fuck...may as well just kill ourselves! Minimalist 58 9318 February 17, 2015 at 11:56 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Solar Eclipse May 9th Cinjin 8 3113 May 10, 2013 at 8:46 am
Last Post: Gearbreak
  Dark Matter may be Anti-Baryonic matter Autumnlicious 1 2030 December 9, 2010 at 2:11 am
Last Post: theVOID
  Cosmos may show echoes of events before Big Bang downbeatplumb 2 1530 November 28, 2010 at 10:55 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris