Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 1:00 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Well, fuck...may as well just kill ourselves!
Well, fuck...may as well just kill ourselves!
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/02/the-s...-on-earth/

Quote:The sun won’t die for 5 billion years, so why do we have only 1 billion years left on Earth?

Quote:The Earth is a complex system – and no model is perfect. However, it seems likely that we have no more than a billion years left for life to thrive on our planet.
RE: Well, fuck...may as well just kill ourselves!
I'm kinda bummed about that. If life gets killed of on earth now apart from microbes, it might not be enough to evolve an intelligent species again before everything gets fried.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Well, if extinction was good enough for the dinosaurs, it's good enough for the religionists, too.

Those of us and our descendants who accept science will have long since left the planet by then.
Dying to live, living to die.
We have plenty of time to colonize the galaxy. Last 10 million years our kind spent most the time banging rocks together, the next 10 million years might be a little more productively spent.

Baneemyite Space Colonies across the GALAXY !!!!
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I wonder how allah and jesus will reward all their devoted followers who get themselves buried properly when the earth they are buried in ceases to exist? I imagine they'll invent a magical solution.
Say goodbye to the Kabba, Mecca, Jerusalem, the Temple Mount, and all the other sources of religious fuckwittery.

Adios, muchachos!

If Jesus/Allah freaks still exist then, they will no doubt include solar incineration as "part of the plan" all along. It's just taking a good long while.

Bet you didn't know the battle of Armageddon is foretelling this solar BBQ.
(February 12, 2015 at 2:09 pm)Minimalist Wrote: http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/02/the-s...-on-earth/

Quote:The sun won’t die for 5 billion years, so why do we have only 1 billion years left on Earth?

Quote:The Earth is a complex system – and no model is perfect. However, it seems likely that we have no more than a billion years left for life to thrive on our planet.

Because there are lots of other earth hazards and solar system hazards like meteors and comets that are very likely to cause damage way before the sun burns out. But right now at this moment in time humans seem to be our own worst enemy with pollution and lack of good resource management.

Our burning CO2 is currently our biggest and self inflicted problem. We do even if we fix that, need to work on a meteor defense system. But life even if we go extinct will go on just like it did after the dinos died. We will be out of the picture way before the sun burns out.
I hope we expand into the galaxy in the future, I want it to be like Mass Effect, but without....you know.....the reapers
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
(February 12, 2015 at 3:37 pm)Bad Wolf Wrote: I hope we expand into the galaxy in the future, I want it to be like Mass Effect, but without....you know.....the reapers

If you had a choice of SF universe, which nemesis would you choose? Those guys from Firefly look fun...
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(February 12, 2015 at 2:09 pm)Minimalist Wrote: http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/02/the-s...-on-earth/

If in 1.0 billion years from now, no life whatsoever from earth have managed to travel up to 0.9999 billion lights years from earth in every direction and found, made or stole at least one second home for parts of the earth's biosphere that is better than earth itself had ever been somewhere within that 4.18 octillion cubic light years of space, then I would say our planet's biosystem produced absolutely nothing of worth and therefore its end would be good riddance.

BTW, some other study suggest life on earth may have as much as 2.8 billion more years.

(February 12, 2015 at 2:17 pm)Beccs Wrote: Well, if extinction was good enough for the dinosaurs, it's good enough for the religionists, too.

Those of us and our descendants who accept science will have long since left the planet by then.

The problem is where as religionists would have gleefully consigned the scentifically minded to fury oblivion, the scientifically minded tend to be soft hearted, and would try to preserve the religionistic bacillus on humanitarian grounds.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  May announces £60 million to tackle plastic in oceans Fake Messiah 1 375 April 20, 2018 at 9:13 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Solar Eclipse May 9th Cinjin 8 3114 May 10, 2013 at 8:46 am
Last Post: Gearbreak
  Dark Matter may be Anti-Baryonic matter Autumnlicious 1 2030 December 9, 2010 at 2:11 am
Last Post: theVOID
  Cosmos may show echoes of events before Big Bang downbeatplumb 2 1530 November 28, 2010 at 10:55 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Chile quake may have shortened day Eilonnwy 9 3198 March 3, 2010 at 10:40 pm
Last Post: chatpilot