Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 11:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are some everyday things I can do as a Humanist?
What are some everyday things I can do as a Humanist?
Hey guys. As a humanist, I actually want to do more to help people and try to make a difference. I actually make rant videos on YouTube that deal with activism for social acceptance of Asexuals and people of the LGBT+ community, but I do these on average twice a month and I feel that video making isn't enough. I want to do more. I don't know if soup kitchens are open year round, and I have no idea of other money-free ways to help the homeless. I also can't think of any ways to help other people who are less fortunate than me. Can you give me some ideas on what I can do? Thanks a bunch.
If pinkie pie isn't real, then how do you explain the existence of ponies, huh? If ponies are real, then that's proof that Pinkie Pie is real. Checkmate, christians!  Heart

-- Book of Pinkie Pie 7:3
RE: What are some everyday things I can do as a Humanist?
Walk out into the street, find a homeless person, ask them if they'd like to have dinner with you at <whatever restaurant you want to eat at>. The small kindnesses are as good as cold cash in plenty of instances, if only for giving a homeless person a small spike of hope.

Or... you could offer they sleep at your place for a time, if you've the room.

Or, you could volunteer at soup kitchens, which if any are NOT open year round: they should be. Go look into one, and find out, yknow?

See that the person is missing some basic needs level shit, take them shopping with you, and buy them that shit.

Really, it just kind of pisses me off that homeless peeps have good reason to have to 'come up with' stories (however fucking horribly true)... I don't want to hear it, I don't care about any of that... offer to help in whatever means you can, that feels right to you, at any given time.

It's not that complicated, really.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
RE: What are some everyday things I can do as a Humanist?
I think you have a wonderful attitude Ian, I salute you Smile Maybe you could organise a fund raising event to help the charities involved? Or see if there are any other voluntary roles you could do?

Keep up the good work my friend, this is an example of a decent human being.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] A thought I had about some people's view on some things medical and other things ShinyCrystals 15 806 October 22, 2023 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: ShinyCrystals
  There are some things you lose track of, & regret. Brian37 11 1176 June 22, 2021 at 7:53 pm
Last Post: Hillbillyatheist
  Just some things I’d like to know about you. Losty 54 9426 April 6, 2018 at 11:33 am
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  The effects of long term stress on everyday functionality Sterben 23 1632 March 12, 2017 at 3:18 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Can any of you do novel things with your toes/feet? brewer 27 2638 March 7, 2016 at 4:46 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  Can I get some help with school Heat 48 8079 December 21, 2015 at 6:29 am
Last Post: Alex K
  What Are Some Little Things People Do That Make You Mad? Salacious B. Crumb 155 13876 September 27, 2015 at 11:58 am
Last Post: Salacious B. Crumb
  What are some little things people do that make you glad? BrianSoddingBoru4 15 2179 September 26, 2015 at 9:32 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  What are the cutest things in pictures you can post? ILoveMRHMWogglebugTE 17 3815 July 27, 2015 at 8:40 pm
Last Post: MTL
  Humanist Home Groups? Davka 1 1045 January 25, 2015 at 11:00 pm
Last Post: IanHulett