Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 11:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
54% of Uk males non-religious or agnostic.
54% of Uk males non-religious or agnostic.
But only 34% of women.

This tallies with my experience where women feel they are more "spiritual" than men.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30910342

Quote:The figures, published by the UCL Institute of Education, were analysed by David Voas, professor of population studies at the Institute for Social and Economic Research at the University of Essex.

Sixty per cent of the women in the study believed in life after death but only 35% of the men.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

RE: 54% of Uk males non-religious or agnostic.
Stop making me want to move to UK. I don't have the cash.
I hear you need civil engineers there. It just keeps getting more and more attractive.
Hey its better than murica at this point.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
I was watching Trinity Broadcast Network with my mother, and they said church attendance in UK is 6%.
According to this poll 40% of men and 60% of women are NOT atheist/agnostic. Is the low church attendance of 6% a result of Christian laziness or is it a result of competing religions like Islam?
(January 21, 2015 at 2:58 pm)watchamadoodle Wrote: I was watching Trinity Broadcast Network with my mother, and they said church attendance in UK is 6%.
According to this poll 40% of men and 60% of women are NOT atheist/agnostic. Is the low church attendance of 6% a result of Christian laziness or is it a result of competing religions like Islam?

People will say they are Christian but they won't be regular church goers. They're default Christians in that they only think about it for specific situations such as filling in forms, weddings etc.
Quote:Of those who were religious, 71% of those who described themselves as evangelical Christians had no doubts about God's existence.
However, only 33% of those who said they were Roman Catholics had no doubts.

I'm honestly surprised. I'd think it would be at least 70%. Damn it, UK. Even catholics there are less catholic. How do you do it?

Quote:Among Anglicans and Methodists, the equivalent figure was 16%

I wondered why we don't see much Anglicans and Methodists around here trying to save everyone.

Quote:Some 88% of Muslims in the survey said they knew God really existed and had no doubts.

No surprise there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVc1ab2RcMs
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
These are also figures for 44/45 year old people only (born in 1970). I think the figures drop amongst the younger generation.

(January 21, 2015 at 3:40 pm)I_am_not_mafia Wrote: People will say they are Christian but they won't be regular church goers. They're default Christians in that they only think about it for specific situations such as filling in forms, weddings etc.

My parents would describe themselves as Christians in the census, as you describe, but they have zero interest in religion.
(January 21, 2015 at 6:42 pm)FreeTony Wrote: These are also figures for 44/45 year old people only (born in 1970). I think the figures drop amongst the younger generation.

(January 21, 2015 at 3:40 pm)I_am_not_mafia Wrote: People will say they are Christian but they won't be regular church goers. They're default Christians in that they only think about it for specific situations such as filling in forms, weddings etc.

My parents would describe themselves as Christians in the census, as you describe, but they have zero interest in religion.

This is the overwhelming majority of British "Christians" tbh.

If I was going to make a rough estimate, I'd go as far as to say less than 10% of British "Protestants" actually practice. It's only the very elderly in my experience. I'd even say among the 18-30 year old population the statistic drops to a vanishingly small amount. I don't know anyone my age who "goes to church", mosque is a different story.

In the UK, as I said on another thread last night, it's the minority religions people take more seriously, especially Islam and Catholicism. Those together probably outnumber the serious Protestants in the UK.
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Man claims to hunt non-binaries Ferrocyanide 10 1197 April 6, 2022 at 8:47 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  [Serious] fact finding mission for non-Christians tackattack 52 4191 March 7, 2019 at 7:31 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Hello Atheists, Agnostic here, and I would love to ask you a question about NDEs Vaino-Eesti 33 5759 April 8, 2017 at 12:28 am
Last Post: Tokikot
  What do non-fundamentalist Christians actually believe? Fromper 66 24320 June 30, 2016 at 7:08 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  One Agnostic's View of the New Atheists Randy Carson 68 9029 September 27, 2015 at 6:40 pm
Last Post: abaris
  Pat Robertson: non-religious children should be beaten drfuzzy 35 10274 September 7, 2015 at 10:50 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Non-fundamentalist apologetics is about obfuscation RobbyPants 6 2154 May 9, 2015 at 1:52 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  What Happened to the Non Jews Who Died Before Jesus Came? Nope 66 14035 March 30, 2015 at 5:11 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  I'm afraid of being agnostic, I need help TaosFlower 75 11579 January 7, 2015 at 7:44 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  7 Questions for non-Christians guywith6questions 21 3713 November 5, 2014 at 5:18 am
Last Post: Alex K