Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 6:17 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Albums of 2014
Best Albums of 2014
Now that the new year is under way, I was wondering what you thought were the best albums that have come out in the past year.

[Image: hendrix-1-438995.jpg]
"Oh yeah, that's an awesome Album"

[Image: beyonce9.jpg]
NOT MINE!

How 'bout one or two per genre that you like? (if possible with link to one of the songs, if there are songs on it)

[Image: anwohner-karl-heinz-buttmann-empfaengt-d...o-dpa-.jpg]
Metal till death

Oh, and if you're using Youtube links, maybe employ \[spoiler\] tags or similar things.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

RE: Best Albums of 2014
Ok, I'll start. Being somewhat of a metalhead, and a big fan of H.R. Giger and Gruyere cheese, the biggest event in extreme music for me was the release of Triptykon's second album Melana Chasmata

[Image: 280403-emp.jpg]

which is online here

Coincidentally, HR Giger died in May '14, and the front man T.G. Fischer was a close friend.

Runners up in that category are to me the Vader and Behemoth albums, both from Poland. On the more technical death front, this atmospheric thing is interesting

In the symphonic death genre, this impressive collaboration with the Prague Symphony Orchestra

In the less extreme to barely metal territory, Mastodon has been mentioned often, but I can't quite warm up to them. Other death metal heroes have decided to do Prog Rock now, such as Opeth and Cynic, and I don't know what to think of that, but among the traitors, Cynic definitely wins in the style department

Now you guys have to provide some more diversity, since I haven't closely followed the jazz, alt rock, pop, gangsta rap etc. releases this year.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

My votes go for Royal Blood:

[Image: Royal_Blood_-_Royal_Blood_%28Artwork%29.jpg]

What makes them all the more awesome is that the band only consists of a bassist and a drummer.

Also, Ed Sheeran's X is easily one of my favourite albums.
[Image: X_cover.png]

I used to be one of those Ed Sheeran haters who hadn't even listened to his music. I sat down when this came out and just listened to the whole album from start to finish non-stop. There's very few, and I mean few albums I could do that with. Ed Sheeran's is one of them.
For me:

10) Indian - From All Purity
9) Aphex Twin - Syro
8) Botanist - VI Flora
7) Run The Jewels - Run The Jewels 2
6) Ice Age - Plowing Into the Field of Love
5) Clipping - CLPPNG
4) The Wytches - Annabel Dream Reader
3) A Silver Mount Zion - Fuck Off, Get Free, We Pour Light on Everything
2) White Suns - Totem
1) Swans - To Be Kind
(January 23, 2015 at 10:49 am)Napoléon Wrote: What makes them all the more awesome is that the band only consists of a bassist and a drummer.

That's like, combining the best aspects of the White Stripes and Kyuss Big Grin

(January 23, 2015 at 10:57 am)Alex K Wrote: That's like, combining the best aspects of the White Stripes and Kyuss Big Grin

If the least you do is check out a couple of their songs, I recommend Little Monster and Figure It Out. You won't regret it.
Aside from the over-played first track (which was still awesome until I heard it 9000 times), Hozier's eponymous debut album is fantastic, start to finish.

"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(January 23, 2015 at 12:46 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: Aside from the over-played first track (which was still awesome until I heard it 9000 times), Hozier's eponymous debut album is fantastic, start to finish.

Am on phone, will check out tomorrow!

Oh verkackter scheiss! I can't watch any of the linked Hozier vids in my stoopid country.

To give an idea of how out of touch I am with metal, the last three metal albums I bought were: Black Dahlia Murder- Miasma, 3inche of Blood-uhh whatever their first album was, and I can't even remember which Lamb Of God album was out at that time, probably Ashes of the Wake.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2014 Thunder Over Louisville 25th Anniversary orogenicman 1 1005 April 13, 2014 at 4:34 pm
Last Post: orogenicman
  "Son of God" movie due out in 2014 Beta Ray Bill 14 10263 November 3, 2013 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: YahwehIsTheWay