Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 1:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stephen Fry on God
Stephen Fry on God
Check out host Gay Byrne's reaction:

At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
RE: Stephen Fry on God
I love Stephen Fry. His answer was brilliant.
I love it - absofuckinglutely LOVE it - when people ask Fry a question they think is a stumper. BAM - he answers. No hesitation, no qualifiers, just a straightforward answer.

These feeps who interview Fry always seem to start with the misconception that they are smarter than he is.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
In fairness, apparently Byrne always ends his show by asking his guests that question. He just chose the wrong battle this time.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(January 30, 2015 at 8:20 pm)Stimbo Wrote: In fairness, apparently Byrne always ends his show by asking his guests that question. He just chose the wrong battle this time.

The look on Byrne's face is completely priceless.
I reject your reality and substitute my own!
I've seen guys who got kicked in the balls who looked like they were in less pain.

Serves him right for asking stupid questions.
I wish it didn't cut off at the end, I bet his response went on longer than it showed.
I'm gonna go ahead and say it: If America can elect a Kenyan for president, we can elect a British atheist as president, too! Wink

Stephen Fry
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
As long as we don't elect a fucking mormon.
(January 30, 2015 at 8:20 pm)Stimbo Wrote: In fairness, apparently Byrne always ends his show by asking his guests that question. He just chose the wrong battle this time.

His ass is going to be reminding him of that for quite some time, after how thoroughly it got kicked this time.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stephen Fry and Christopher Hitchens against Catholicism Edwardo Piet 2 1139 May 14, 2017 at 9:02 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  God is love. God is just. God is merciful. Chad32 62 19466 October 21, 2014 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Cheerful Charlie