Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 1:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Planning my funeral
Planning my funeral
I am planning my own funeral, not that I'm ill (so far as I know) and I'm not feeling suicidal, but it seems sensible to make the arrangements that I want while I can. My father died at age 92 and my mother is going strong (if a little batty) at 91 so I should last a while longer yet, but as I drive around 5000 miles a month I think a car crash is the most likely way I will go.
I have told people that I want a non religious funeral with the cheapest coffin available (no point wasting good drinking money on worm food)
I was thinking of having them play Hugh Laurie's "Changes" from his Didn't it rain CD and then as people leave "Always look on the bright side of life" by Monty Python.

I am looking for other suggestions of music, readings or just ideas to lift the gloom. I want something to celebrate life not dwell on death Party Time
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

RE: Planning my funeral
Let someone perform a customized rendition of the dead parrot sketch

Erm, I'll keep thinking... My tastes in music are too gloomy
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Sounds like some good ideas.

What about some Queen music?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
It is an hard thing to advice on. You would really want something that makes people go "yea, that's totally him"
I think "Always look on the bright side of life" is a good song for a funeral! You can always ask around what song friends link to you, it might help.

For me, I would have John Lennon's "Imagine". The original one that includes a world without religion of course Wink
My funeral well i want to be buried in the ground i don't and a casket probably some where nice like near a beach or what ever no headstone because well
going to give back to smaller creatures more or less.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
I have told my family to cremate me and to do whatever else gives them peace. Because I will be dead, I won't care anyway. It would be nice if they dumped my ashes on a mountain top somewhere or in some other lovely scenery; maybe drink a shot of tequila or eat some Reeses Peanut Butter Cups in my honor. What ever they do is fine with me.
(February 12, 2015 at 5:15 pm)robvalue Wrote: Sounds like some good ideas.

What about some Queen music?

Yes, I was thinking of Queen, maybe "Who wants to live forever" ?
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

Mozart's Requiem?

May as well go big.

(February 12, 2015 at 5:54 pm)zebo-the-fat Wrote: Yes, I was thinking of Queen, maybe "Who wants to live forever" ?

The Show Must Go On
For my funeral, I actually want to amp up the gloom and feels so everyone can express it, then get over it and live doing all the things I can't/couldn't do. So, sad songs, personalized letters to the people closest to me, etc.
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Secular Funeral Jenny A 32 6005 January 27, 2015 at 11:56 am
Last Post: Jenny A
  what's an atheist funeral like? Phatt Matt s 46 7398 April 9, 2014 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: siryezser
  Going to a funeral and feel like I could scream. leo-rcc 27 10050 May 5, 2010 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: tavarish