Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:18 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Salutations.
Salutations.
I'm not entirely sure how to phrase this without sounding foolish, but the common theme seems to be a life story, so here goes:

I've never really been able to believe in a god. Despite the attempted indoctrination I've had all of my life (I went to a C of E school, and a Roman Catholic school), it's always been something that seemed dumbfounded or nonsensical. My parents never tried to force me into a religion, which I'm eternally grateful for. Instead, they went for the approach of not caring about religion, and just leaving me to it. On top of this, science has always seemed to be more interesting to me than theology, and I've always wondered (even from a young age) how anyone can possibly remain resolute in the face of scientific reasoning.

It's only been recently that I've come to terms with being atheist: I always considered myself agnostic, or I didn't bother thinking about it. But in the last few months it's been increasingly clear to me that religion is something that has no place in a world that I can imagine.

My views on religion are that it really should have no questions about it: God is irrelevant, because if someone had come along two thousand years ago and proclaimed a giant celestial teapot, we'd all be worshiping that. I'm a devout atheist, and no matter any way I try to think about it, I simply can't fathom any form of omnipotent, omniscient, divine intelligence.

The vast majority of my friends are theist or deist, and I have to put up with a lot of crap from them about how "there's evidence for" creation. There simply isn't. At all. My Religious Education teacher enjoys using me as the Class Atheist (I'll admit, it's not all bad; it gives me a chance to put across arguments that confuse and baffle my retarded class mates). All in all, I enjoy, somewhat, being an atheist against all these odds. Personally, it gives me a sense of being more independent and clear-minded. But I try not to be big headed about it.

Again, greetings - I hope to find these forums an enjoyable outlet.
RE: Salutations.
Welcome bramble

Hopefully one day you'll realise what religion is about. Meanwhile enjoy the ride! Smile
(March 14, 2010 at 6:02 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: Hopefully one day you'll realise what religion is about. Meanwhile enjoy the ride! Smile

I'm not entirely certain how to respond to that. I realise that religion is a way of life, as well as a moral standing point and faith in a omniscient creator. If you mean that one day I may realise that religion is correct, then of course, if there were to be some sort of evidence, of sorts, then I would be inclined to change my views. However, it seems that as of late (especially in the US) religion has become more about disproving science and smiting sinners than actually worshiping a god.
Religion has no bones to pick with science, only ignorant fools think so. Likewise, requiring scientific evidence for God according to the principles of the scientific method is a futile pursuit. God is not within the scope of investigation of the scientific method, according to it's own principles.
Unless of course the religion specifically states it is against science (or some aspects of it). Edit: and assuming that "God" is defined so as to be beyond the scientific method Smile

Anyway, welcome Bramblepath Smile
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Hello - pay no attention to fr0d0. Big Grin
(March 14, 2010 at 6:54 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: God is not within the scope of investigation of the scientific method, according to it's own principles.

Would you still maintain that point of view if science were to give evidence for God? How many apologists would maintain that? Hardly any - I'd bet good money on it.

And thank you others for your warm welcomes Smile
Would I still maintain that view if science gave evidence of something impossible for science to give evidence of... hmmm
As evidence changes views change. Welcome.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
Welcome.

EvF

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Salutations Sodomites! Mr C_L 83 13589 December 23, 2016 at 10:40 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Salutations Ambiguous Atheist 19 2408 November 14, 2016 at 10:08 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  Greetings & Salutations Hitchslap 14 2842 June 24, 2016 at 10:18 pm
Last Post: Hitchslap