Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An Underestimation
An Underestimation
Philosophy, religion, and atheism hold much of the same value. A firm belief of their "attained" knowledge. Whether in libraries, or answering their own curiosities, many hold debates, with an intent to contradict, rather than reason and learning. Possessing a quality, open mind is the greatest tool any of us could have. To imagine possibilities is a task; But to imagine impossibilities is a feat of will and real curiosity. | [/align][/color][/size][/font]
RE: An Underestimation
Welcome to the board
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Welcome to the forum.

I have to disagree with your " A firm belief of their attained knowledge" claim. Showing that someone hasn't meet their burden of proof is not a knowledge claim.
(February 15, 2015 at 11:28 pm)Razulxe Wrote: Philosophy, religion, and atheism hold much of the same value.

No. If we look at the damage done to the world due to religion, philosophy, and atheism, we can quite clearly see that they are very far from the same value.

(February 15, 2015 at 11:28 pm)Razulxe Wrote: A firm belief of their attained knowledge. Whether in libraries, or answering their own curiosities, many hold debates, with an intent to contradict, rather than reason and learning. Possessing a quality, open mind is the greatest tool any of us could have. To imagine possibilities is a task; But to imagine impossibilities is a feat of will and real curiosity. | [/align][/color][/size][/font]

Somehow, your remarks remind me of a saying about it being good to have an open mind, but not so open that one's brain falls on the floor. Once something has been supported by good evidence, it is reasonable to believe it. And not all positions are on the same level. Some have no evidence in favor of them at all.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
An Underestimation (continued)
With no intent to contradict religion with science or vice versa, expressing a truly painted idea, intended for the curious mind. So let us imagine a universe of science and rational happening. Our minds have just imagined our universe. A great space of time and matter. Should we conclude the curious beginning with the big bang? We could make a theory of creation likewise. So beginning this theory, a creator, would obviously create something. Guessing that being everything we see. With science being included as a creation; Time, space, etc. , meaning if time and demension are creations, then a beginning (as for a creator) does not have to have been. *Also, science would be an obvious sign that a creator doesn't want to be discovered (learned of). And we would not be designed to fathom such ideas.[ -This passage is only an idea, not a theory or belief. Exampled for understanding. ][/align][/color][/size][/font]
I see very little similarities between the three; religion is a petty and impous claim to knowledge, as is weak philosophy. Sound philosophy is empiricism and self-knowledge which is really to momentarily own and profess ignorance when necessary; atheism simply elevates the conversation about both.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
(February 16, 2015 at 12:01 am)Surgenator Wrote: Welcome to the forum.

I have to disagree with your " A firm belief of their attained knowledge" claim. Showing that someone hasn't meet their burden of proof is not a knowledge claim.
I did mean to use quotatations.

(February 16, 2015 at 12:13 am)Pyrrho Wrote:
(February 15, 2015 at 11:28 pm)Razulxe Wrote: Philosophy, religion, and atheism hold much of the same value.

No. If we look at the damage done to the world due to religion, philosophy, and atheism, we can quite clearly see that they are very far from the same value.

(February 15, 2015 at 11:28 pm)Razulxe Wrote: A firm belief of their attained knowledge. Whether in libraries, or answering their own curiosities, many hold debates, with an intent to contradict, rather than reason and learning. Possessing a quality, open mind is the greatest tool any of us could have. To imagine possibilities is a task; But to imagine impossibilities is a feat of will and real curiosity. | [/align][/color][/size][/font]

Somehow, your remarks remind me of a saying about it being good to have an open mind, but not so open that one's brain falls on the floor. Once something has been supported by good evidence, it is reasonable to believe it. And not all positions are on the same level. Some have no evidence in favor of them at all.

Read the continuance.
(February 16, 2015 at 12:36 am)Razulxe Wrote:
(February 16, 2015 at 12:01 am)Surgenator Wrote: Welcome to the forum.

I did mean to use quotatations.

I added the quotations to point out exactly what I disagreed with.
Hello, welcome Smile
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Hi Welcome

You have a common confusion about theism and atheism. Maybe try looking up the definitions a bit?
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue