Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 2:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Live baiting in Greyhound racing
Live baiting in Greyhound racing
http://youtu.be/LpOVqUkLWVo

Is the practise cruel? Well there's no question that aside from one allegation against one operator for improperly disposing of unwanted dogs that the greyhounds themselves are treated humanly.

We also let our animals catch and kill wild animals, that's true, but what we don't do is take animals and subject them to cruelty for an hour or more before letting them kill the animal. If you watch the investigation you also see that one piglet was left alive until the next day, presumably so it could be used for baiting again.

I've never thought dog racing is a respectable profession, and I suspect that most Australians think the same way. It is an industry, and it has a right to exist, but if it cannot regulate itself responsibly then it looses that right. Yes the regulators also failed to do proper investigations, however it is the industry itself that is primarily to blame here.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
RE: Live baiting in Greyhound racing
In America, dog tracks are getting shut down left and right for inhumane treatment of the dogs. They usually get turned into sports books. My roommate's Greyhound, JB (Jellybean) is a retired racer. The webbing on his feet is torn in two places, he has arthritis (he's only 6), and he has a detached cornea from a dirt clod hitting him. I toured the kennels at Seminola racetrack in Casselberry, FL and was appalled to see the conditions there. I guess each track has it's own conditions, but overall, I am against racing animals at all. Especially when money is at stake. People have a tendency to do terrible things to animals to make the big payday.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Tormenting prey animals just so the dogs will run faster! Yay! Are these the same kind of people that are ok with dog fighting?
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Quote: Well there's no question that aside from one allegation against one operator for improperly disposing of unwanted dogs that the greyhounds themselves are treated humanly.

I shared a cup of coffee with the President of the Greyhound Rescue here in Arizona one time and she told something of a different story. The living conditions may not be so bad at the tracks but the breeding of those dogs has resulted in bones, particularly back leg bones, which are too fragile for the pounding of the race. Many suffer leg fractures and before the Rescue was formed they were routinely euthanized. They have now worked a deal with the track that any dog with a broken leg is turned over to the Rescue for evaluation by an orthopedic vet with whom they have an arrangement. Those that can be saved are and then they re-home them as pets. But their running days are over. Fortunately, they are pretty mellow dogs.
I am against suffering, specifically, my suffering. I've found my suffering to be caused by many and various events including the suffering of others.
But I've never been a rabbit (once described to me by my tech as Mother Nature's Big Mac because everything eats them.)
I don't know if they accept their fates with calm and grace.
I prefer to assume that a rabbit has some sense of self and a drive towards self preservation. Similarly, that injury would produce pain and suffering. Their outward behaviors; struggling when caught, crying out when injured support this.
I am against suffering.
I have a substantially different opinion about the classic demonstration of cruelty evidenced by a small boy pulling the wings off of a fly. I do not believe the fly is sufficiently complexly constructed to have a sense of self, self preservation and pain. So to me, a small boy pulling the wings off of a fly is an indication that he may be a psychopathic future danger but not cruelty to the fly. Or he may simply not have yet developed the empathy necessary to recognize suffering in others. I'd put this greyhound live baiting in the same categories: could be psychopathic, could be empathically stunted.
There has been a long and active debate over what conditions warrant the suffering of animals: from bear baiting, dog/cock/bull fighting to medical research. Generally, I see attitudes of human exceptionalism providing the alleged moral basis for doing whatever we damn well feel like to anything not human. e.g. methodically breaking the backs of rats to see if stem cell transplants can induce regrowth of neural tissue. At least responsible research institutions have ethics committees to curb excesses. Still, I hope the white mice don't hold war crimes trials in the afterlife. I don't want to have to plead my case to Frankie and Benjy.
So how, exactly, does God know that She's NOT a brain in a vat? Huh
(February 18, 2015 at 10:56 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote: Well there's no question that aside from one allegation against one operator for improperly disposing of unwanted dogs that the greyhounds themselves are treated humanly.

I shared a cup of coffee with the President of the Greyhound Rescue here in Arizona one time and she told something of a different story. The living conditions may not be so bad at the tracks but the breeding of those dogs has resulted in bones, particularly back leg bones, which are too fragile for the pounding of the race. Many suffer leg fractures and before the Rescue was formed they were routinely euthanized. They have now worked a deal with the track that any dog with a broken leg is turned over to the Rescue for evaluation by an orthopedic vet with whom they have an arrangement. Those that can be saved are and then they re-home them as pets. But their running days are over. Fortunately, they are pretty mellow dogs.

Purebreeding and overworking will do that to an animal. I suppose softer ground would just make the dogs slower, so they don't try something to cushion the impact?
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...

It's Arizona, Chad. The sun bakes the ground to something resembling concrete.
(February 18, 2015 at 11:32 pm)Chad32 Wrote: Purebreeding and overworking will do that to an animal. I suppose softer ground would just make the dogs slower, so they don't try something to cushion the impact?

I believe Aperture Laboratories has just the thing!
[Image: long_fall_boots_help_by_jessehopper-d3kf4yi.jpg]
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(February 18, 2015 at 11:35 pm)Minimalist Wrote: It's Arizona, Chad. The sun bakes the ground to something resembling concrete.

I don't really know what desert heat does to the ground, but it's certainly not good. At least Human track runners have shoes. The dogs don't.

(February 18, 2015 at 10:48 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: In America, dog tracks are getting shut down left and right for inhumane treatment of the dogs. They usually get turned into sports books. My roommate's Greyhound, JB (Jellybean) is a retired racer. The webbing on his feet is torn in two places, he has arthritis (he's only 6), and he has a detached cornea from a dirt clod hitting him. I toured the kennels at Seminola racetrack in Casselberry, FL and was appalled to see the conditions there. I guess each track has it's own conditions, but overall, I am against racing animals at all. Especially when money is at stake. People have a tendency to do terrible things to animals to make the big payday.
That issue is separate to whether or not the dogs are treated humanly. That's an issue of whether the sport may be bad for the dog's health and long-term well-being. And that may be true, but you can have a 2 year old dog and have it put down by the vet and there's nothing about that itself which is inhumane, nor would it be inhumane to be putting down ex-racing dogs that suffer from pain, anxiety, etc. To my knowledge that's not the norm, but as I said it wouldn't be in any way cruel to do so.

I only mentioned it because there was one allegation made in the report that one operator was in fact shooting dogs himself on-site and burying them himself - personally I don't think that's any more cruel then getting a vet to euthanase a dog for you, but it is against regulation to do so in the industry.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Official live update of spread of COVID19 ignoramus 2211 182685 February 27, 2023 at 2:09 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Georgia Reporter Groped on Live TV Divinity 69 4400 December 18, 2019 at 1:29 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Let The People Die As Long As The Corporations Live On Minimalist 6 1673 July 3, 2017 at 1:35 am
Last Post: Cecelia
  Fox News Anchor Quits Live On Air Foxaèr 8 2603 June 3, 2017 at 7:28 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Women's March live on CSPAN NOW! 10am-3pm Brian37 25 4500 January 26, 2017 at 10:51 am
Last Post: account_inactive
  The King is dead, long live the other guy Alex K 21 3913 January 24, 2015 at 10:20 am
Last Post: Chad32