Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 8:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A hypothetical non-container.
A hypothetical non-container.
Ok, so I just thought this one up as I was laying in bed trying to get to sleep and thought it was an interesting philosophical problem that I'm sure a lot of you will have answers for when I check this thread in the morning:

If we have a container that can hold a maximum of 0 items, is it full or empty?

By the way, this isn't some kind of trick question, so I don't mind if people argue that something like that cannot exist, or it technically isn't a container. I'm just curious what reasoning people can come up with for one or the other (or both).
RE: A hypothetical non-container.
It's reached its maximum so it's full

It exists in a negative plain and can hold quite a few Tongue
Since you didn't specify a minimum, I would say it has reached it's maximum and is thus full. If it's minimum is = to it's maximum then it's not a container, so I'm glad you left that off.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
(March 16, 2010 at 9:36 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Ok, so I just thought this one up as I was laying in bed trying to get to sleep and thought it was an interesting philosophical problem that I'm sure a lot of you will have answers for when I check this thread in the morning:

If we have a container that can hold a maximum of 0 items, is it full or empty?
Could that be equated to a container that holds nothing? Wouldn't that by definition be empty of things... or full of nothingness?

Also not that while you say the container can hold a maximum of nothing... it does not necessarily mean that it does hold such. And the thing must be a container if it is indeed containing said nothingness... as it is containing nothing at all Smile An impressive containment if I do say so myself Smile

Quote:By the way, this isn't some kind of trick question, so I don't mind if people argue that something like that cannot exist, or it technically isn't a container. I'm just curious what reasoning people can come up with for one or the other (or both).

It's an interesting question. I think it would be full in the sense that it is full of nothing... which is what other people declare "empty". Therefore it is both full of nothing.... and also empty (because it is filled with nothing). Smile
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
By it's definition of being a container, yes it must hold something. That is paradoxical because it can only hold a minimum and maximum of nothing. Therefore I insticntively threw out the improper item label and went with the descriptors. So then the follow up question would be If somethings only definition is that it's nothing, does it exist? Smile
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
If both your statements are correct then it must be empty. We know it's a container because you've said so. However, we don't know why it can only hold 0 items.

Therefore, you have a container that can only be empty. It can't be full because that term infers a quantity which zero cannot satisfy.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
I knew I could trust you guys to come up with some great reasoning Smile
(March 17, 2010 at 3:22 am)Darwinian Wrote: If both your statements are correct then it must be empty. We know it's a container because you've said so. However, we don't know why it can only hold 0 items.

Therefore, you have a container that can only be empty. It can't be full because that term infers a quantity which zero cannot satisfy.

And yet you could further posit that it is full of nothingness... for how else could it be empty of 'somethingness'? Smile
I think it's quite an obvious paradox. Given that such a container cannot exist, it doesn't actually matter though. However, by definition it has nothing in it, so it is empty, but because it holds a maximum of 0 items, it is also full.

Of course it all depends on how you defined "empty" and "full". Wink

If empty means there aren't any items in the container (which is true), and full means you cannot place any more items in the container (which is true) then it is both empty and full, and a paradoxical container.
Why could such a container not exist? Smile

It should indeed be obvious... the reason it is "empty of things" is because it is "full of nothing" Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does the fact that many non-human animals have pituitary disprove Cartesian Dualism? FlatAssembler 36 2088 June 23, 2023 at 9:36 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Metaethics Part 1: Cognitivism/Non-cognitivism Disagreeable 24 1523 February 11, 2022 at 6:46 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  In Defense of a Non-Natural Moral Order Acrobat 84 6970 August 30, 2019 at 3:02 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential Edwardo Piet 82 11645 April 29, 2018 at 1:57 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Non-existing objects KerimF 81 21796 June 28, 2017 at 2:34 am
Last Post: KerimF
  What philosophical evidence is there against believing in non-physical entities? joseph_ 150 12409 September 3, 2016 at 11:26 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  The difference between a sceptic and a non-sceptic robvalue 12 1926 May 20, 2016 at 2:55 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  God as a non-empirical being noctalla 39 5628 April 19, 2015 at 4:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  On non-belief and the existence of God FallentoReason 72 13654 August 21, 2014 at 7:05 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Non-literal atheism? stonedape 42 7620 August 20, 2014 at 5:07 pm
Last Post: stonedape