Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 7:34 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does the fact that many non-human animals have pituitary disprove Cartesian Dualism?
Does the fact that many non-human animals have pituitary disprove Cartesian Dualism?
On the Philosophical Vegan forum, we occasionally get members who subscribe to Cartesian Dualism. Descartes (also known by his Latin name Cartesius) held that only human beings have souls, and that other animals are unconscious and don't feel pain. He also held that the pituitary is the antenna with which the brain and the soul communicate.

And I think one of the most obvious flaws with Cartesian Dualism, which was obvious even in Descartes'es time, is that many non-human animals also have the pituitary.

I asked a question about how Descartes responded to that on Philosophy StackExchange (which, thus far, has 8 more upvotes than downvotes), and, apparently, Descartes didn't write a response to that argument.

I think that Cartesian Dualism was ridiculous even in Descartes'es time, and that it is even more ridiculous now.
RE: Does the fact that many non-human animals have pituitary disprove Cartesian Dualism?
The validity of Descartes dualism doesn’t depend on Descarte’s supposition about the role of the pituitary gland in dualism.    So contradicting the Descarte’s pituitary supposition does not actually contradict Descarte’s dualism hypothesis itself.
RE: Does the fact that many non-human animals have pituitary disprove Cartesian Dualism?
(June 21, 2023 at 9:58 am)Anomalocaris Wrote: The validity of Descartes dualism doesn’t depend on Descarte’s supposition about the role of the pituitary gland in dualism.    So contradicting the Descarte’s pituitary supposition does not actually contradict Descarte’s dualism hypothesis itself.

But it does make the anti-vegan claim "Only human beings have souls, other animals don't feel pain." look pretty baseless, doesn't it?
Since it is a dubious proposition to begin with, it can hardly be used to show anything else to be baseless.
(June 21, 2023 at 10:52 am)FlatAssembler Wrote:
(June 21, 2023 at 9:58 am)Anomalocaris Wrote: The validity of Descartes dualism doesn’t depend on Descarte’s supposition about the role of the pituitary gland in dualism.    So contradicting the Descarte’s pituitary supposition does not actually contradict Descarte’s dualism hypothesis itself.

But it does make the anti-vegan claim "Only human beings have souls, other animals don't feel pain." look pretty baseless, doesn't it?

I think the best way to disprove the notion that animals don’t feel pain is to look at an animal in pain.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(June 21, 2023 at 12:14 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(June 21, 2023 at 10:52 am)FlatAssembler Wrote: But it does make the anti-vegan claim "Only human beings have souls, other animals don't feel pain." look pretty baseless, doesn't it?

I think the best way to disprove the notion that animals don’t feel pain is to look at an animal in pain.

Boru

Well, it is hard to tell what's a response to pain and what's a reflex. There is considerable debate whether fish feel pain or whether insects feel pain, even though they obviously have reflexes.
As far as I can tell, most neuroscientists think all the mammals except naked mole rats, all the birds, and perhaps octopuses feel pain, and that other animals don't.
define “feel pain”
(June 21, 2023 at 2:16 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote: define “feel pain”

I think we all know what we mean when we say "feel pain", there is no need to define it. Some things, such as "knowledge", are difficult to define, but we all know what they mean, and asking somebody to define it is derailing a discussion.
(June 21, 2023 at 3:17 pm)FlatAssembler Wrote:
(June 21, 2023 at 2:16 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote: define “feel pain”

I think we all know what we mean when we say "feel pain", there is no need to define it. Some things, such as "knowledge", are difficult to define, but we all know what they mean, and asking somebody to define it is derailing a discussion.

It’s not derailing at all. In fact, it’s a very pertinent question. 

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(June 21, 2023 at 3:33 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(June 21, 2023 at 3:17 pm)FlatAssembler Wrote: I think we all know what we mean when we say "feel pain", there is no need to define it. Some things, such as "knowledge", are difficult to define, but we all know what they mean, and asking somebody to define it is derailing a discussion.

It’s not derailing at all. In fact, it’s a very pertinent question. 

Boru

So, you are a rationalist rather than an empiricist? You think that the more our philosophy looks like the Euclid's Elements, the better? Well, I am telling you, that way of thinking is useful in geometry, but almost everywhere else though, it leads us nowhere.

Some arguments for fish not feeling pain are "It appears as though type-c neurofibres are necessary to feel pain, because people with congenital analgesia have a smaller proportion of the type-c neurofibers. And fish have little or no type-c neurofibers." and "Fishes with a hole in their fin continue swimming as normal.". Completely empirical, not trying to rationalistically define pain.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are the animals luckier than humans? TrueNorth 13 821 August 19, 2022 at 11:37 am
Last Post: Macoleco
  Why is murder wrong if Many Worlds Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics is true? FlatAssembler 52 3927 August 7, 2022 at 8:51 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Metaethics Part 1: Cognitivism/Non-cognitivism Disagreeable 24 1553 February 11, 2022 at 6:46 pm
  In Defense of a Non-Natural Moral Order Acrobat 84 7181 August 30, 2019 at 3:02 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  How many holes does a straw have? ignoramus 57 3212 August 19, 2018 at 6:34 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential Edwardo Piet 82 12026 April 29, 2018 at 1:57 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Non-existing objects KerimF 81 21830 June 28, 2017 at 2:34 am
Last Post: KerimF
  Dance of the Hopeful Nihilist: Dualism in Nietzsche Mudhammam 0 727 April 8, 2017 at 11:55 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Short essay on dualism, idealism, & materialism as concerns Q: What is a table? Mudhammam 28 4628 February 27, 2017 at 3:02 am
  What philosophical evidence is there against believing in non-physical entities? joseph_ 150 12643 September 3, 2016 at 11:26 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb