Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 9:27 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Square-circles Vs. God
Square-circles Vs. God
What prevents God from being capable of logically impossible feats?

From an Atheist's perspective, it just seems like the nature of all existence carries with it some inherent conceptual restrictions. And at a minimum, in order to understand things in this universe, we need a way of identifying them as either "it" or "not-it". But if you pull all of us out of the universe, surely God wouldn't need to rely on the same simple rules that we use. And he certainly shouldn't be required to abide by them, right?

So, is God bound by the same things as all nature? If not, what's your move from here? Just wonderin'...
RE: Square-circles Vs. God
If you show someone a square circle, then the words square and circle lose their meaning. Can someone really do things that aren't logically possible? Does it really help your case all that much if we have to start saying Yahweh is practically omnipotent, and practically all knowing, and practicall all present?
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Im inclined to agree with you, Chad. Because, by that definition, aren't we all omnipotent?

We can ALL do everything, except the things that are not in our nature.
No, I don't think I'd say that. Like I said, words have meaning, and omnipotent means all powerful, or possibly most powerful. We can't all be omnipotent, or the word loses its meaning.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(March 6, 2015 at 10:41 pm)Chad32 Wrote: No, I don't think I'd say that. Like I said, words have meaning, and omnipotent means all powerful, or possibly most powerful. We can't all be omnipotent, or the word loses its meaning.
Well sure chad. But that's only if you care about using words in order to accurately understand things. But if all you need to do is kick a little more sand over the part of that delusion that just won't stay covered...changing the meaning of words can be really helpful!
(March 6, 2015 at 10:11 pm)Chad32 Wrote: If you show someone a square circle, then the words square and circle lose their meaning. Can someone really do things that aren't logically possible? Does it really help your case all that much if we have to start saying Yahweh is practically omnipotent, and practically all knowing, and practicall all present?

A circle only appears to be a circle if a person is looking at the figure directly perpendicular at its center. Otherwise it appears to become an oval.

Likewise a square appears to be a square only when it's viewed directly perpendicular at its center.

What you see depends on how you look at it.
(March 6, 2015 at 10:05 pm)The Reality Salesman Wrote: What prevents God from being capable of logically impossible feats?

From an Atheist's perspective, it just seems like the nature of all existence carries with it some inherent conceptual restrictions. And at a minimum, in order to understand things in this universe, we need a way of identifying them as either "it" or "not-it". But if you pull all of us out of the universe, surely God wouldn't need to rely on the same simple rules that we use. And he certainly shouldn't be required to abide by them, right?

So, is God bound by the same things as all nature? If not, what's your move from here? Just wonderin'...

God is an easy explanation for things morons don't understand.

"I don't know how the universe could have started therefore god"
"I don't understand how life started therefore god"
"I don't understand how my TV works therefore god"

The way I like to think is.

"I don't know how the universe started, lets find out"

This way of thinking drives humanity forward. The other approach stifles progress.
When you think you have all the answers you don't try learn.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

It's a point I've been considering for a long time. Is God bound by the laws of logic? If not, and he does break logic, then the universe as a whole must not be bound by the rules of logic.

At that point, everything we've learned (or think we've learned) via science has worked just by accident, or something.

So it's another unfalsifiable idea that God could decide to change the rules of logic, but there's no reason to think he already has or ever will.

Can God make a married bachelor? Can he make a stone he can't lift?

If God is bound by logic, that is still a restriction.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
God has his restrictions for he was created in the image of man who imagined perfection without giving the concept of all it entails too much thought.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
If you are consistent within yourself (not capricious, having no need to change), you would be unbounded rather than bound.
There are things you would not do because they are outside your operating parameters.
Self contradictions (confusion) would be one of them.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Giants and the Square Cubed Law Mechaghostman2 14 3440 December 24, 2015 at 5:00 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  God is love. God is just. God is merciful. Chad32 62 19407 October 21, 2014 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Cheerful Charlie