Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 1:28 am

Poll: Have you ever read the Bible?
This poll is closed.
Never
1.61%
1 1.61%
Bits and Pieces
27.42%
17 27.42%
Most of it
24.19%
15 24.19%
I have read the full bible
46.77%
29 46.77%
Total 62 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Enlighten Yourselves
Enlighten Yourselves
All I ask of you guys here, is to read a bible. For me, the bible personally enlightened me and reinforces my religion. Instead of retaining your knowledge by what you hear from Christians, actually read the scriptures that the religion is based off of.
RE: Enlighten Yourselves
(March 8, 2015 at 3:38 am)warrior02 Wrote: All I ask of you guys here, is to read a bible. For me, the bible personally enlightened me and reinforces my religion. Instead of retaining your knowledge by what you hear from Christians, actually read the scriptures that the religion is based off of.

I have. So have numerous other atheists here- I'm not going to say all, but I suspect a sizeable portion. Some of us literally came from religious backgrounds.

Why are you assuming we hadn't?
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
Read it, it's vile.

I agree though, read it everyone. Read it properly, start to finish. I suspect most christians haven't, since I know more about it than them.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I voted bits and pieces, but I'd be willing to bet I've read a lot more than many Christians... and definitely much more than the average person. It's a ridiculous book filled with contradictions and fairy tales.
"Bake the children in the pies, sip the tea, watch your demise, tip your hat, don't be ashamed, we're all afraid"

"[God] sounds like an abusive lover, 'But dear, I wouldn't beat you if you didn't make me angry'" - Nope

My problem with religious people is not the fact that they hold the beliefs they do, my problem is when they claim that those beliefs make logical sense. If you wish to hold beliefs in fairy tales, that is fine with me. I still think you're silly, but that is fine. But the moment you claim that your views concerning those subjects can safely operate in any realm other than the realm of faith and/or fiction is the moment you deserve to be called on your bullshit.
(March 8, 2015 at 3:46 am)Esquilax Wrote:
(March 8, 2015 at 3:38 am)warrior02 Wrote: All I ask of you guys here, is to read a bible. For me, the bible personally enlightened me and reinforces my religion. Instead of retaining your knowledge by what you hear from Christians, actually read the scriptures that the religion is based off of.

I have. So have numerous other atheists here- I'm not going to say all, but I suspect a sizeable portion. Some of us literally came from religious backgrounds.

I'm not, I'm just saying that some of the scriptures have personally helped me throughout my life. I'm just trying to help some of the people here, that may have not read the Bible, and I hope to affect someone's life positively.
I've read the Bible three times straight through: once, when I was about twelve; once, as an agnostic (I didn't realize at the time I was also an atheist) church secretary at about the age of 22; once about six years ago when I realized I didn't remember a lot I had read at 22.

All reading the Bible ever did was wipe out any small amount of faith I might have possessed.
(March 8, 2015 at 3:59 am)warrior02 Wrote:
(March 8, 2015 at 3:46 am)Esquilax Wrote: I have. So have numerous other atheists here- I'm not going to say all, but I suspect a sizeable portion. Some of us literally came from religious backgrounds.

I'm not, I'm just saying that some of the scriptures have personally helped me throughout my life. I'm just trying to help some of the people here, that may have not read the Bible, and I hope to affect someone's life positively.

Is it normal course for you to offer unsolicited advice to people you've never met or even bothered to introduce yourself to?
How does reading about genocide and slavery endorsement make you feel better?

I guess you didn't mean those bits.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Read it all, several times and in various translation. It's bollocks!
I only read the children's bible, you know. The one without all the bits that could make you an atheist.

But I was catholic and they were like sure, read the bible. But only the verses we show you and we'll be standing over your shoulder to make sure you're not peeking. Slimy bastards.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheists, you talk to yourselves, right? Owlix 42 10414 October 27, 2013 at 5:10 pm
Last Post: Mystical