Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 1:05 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Men are raped almost as often as women in the US
Men are raped almost as often as women in the US
I've been saying this for a while, and my experiences as a rape crisis counselor have backed this up but I've never really seen any major publications talking about it.

Finally, I found an article.

http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/d...ulted.html

Quote:Data hasn’t been calculated under the new FBI definition yet, but Stemple parses several other national surveys in her new paper, “The Sexual Victimization of Men in America: New Data Challenge Old Assumptions,” co-written with Ilan Meyer and published in the April 17 edition of the American Journal of Public Health. One of those surveys is the 2010 National Intimate Partner and Sexual Violence Survey, for which the Centers for Disease Control invented a category of sexual violence called “being made to penetrate.” This definition includes victims who were forced to penetrate someone else with their own body parts, either by physical force or coercion, or when the victim was drunk or high or otherwise unable to consent. When those cases were taken into account, the rates of nonconsensual sexual contact basically equalized, with 1.270 million women and 1.267 million men claiming to be victims of sexual violence.

I am NOT diminishing the atrocity of a woman being raped. But I AM saying that the same thing CAN happen to a man, and happens QUITE A BIT.
RE: Men are raped almost as often as women in the US
Thank you for bringing this up, Creed. Even in my SART training, we weren't given much in the way of statistics as far as the rape of males is concerned, but we did have a male victim come to talk to us.
Most won't talk to you if you don't assure them that nothing they say can be shared or discussed with anyone else, including the police, without their consent. And far more won't even admit to THEMSELVES that they were raped, even though they remain haunted by it for the rest of their lives. But instead they push it down, let that emotional wound fester, and then begins to warp who they were into something bad that gets worse and worse. Boys who get raped unsurprisingly tend to become rapists themselves later in life if they never told anyone about it, or murderers, or other really bad criminal offenders. There's a very good reason why child molesters tend to get it the worse from their fellow inmates when they go to jail...
When I was in HIV Buddy Training we had someone who was pretty sure he contracted AIDS from a sexual assault.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(March 8, 2015 at 2:32 pm)Creed of Heresy Wrote: [from the quoted article]...One of those surveys is the 2010 National Intimate Partner and Sexual Violence Survey, for which the Centers for Disease Control invented a category of sexual violence called “being made to penetrate.” This definition includes victims who were forced to penetrate someone else with their own body parts, either by physical force or coercion, or when the victim was drunk or high or otherwise unable to consent...

I thought this was a thread on male/male rape, which is also a serious problem, and not just in the Catholic Church. Not to diminish or comment on your article but just to say, that's also an issue.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
The sexual assault of men is made a joke by the media. I can't imagine what it must be like to have something that so clearly traumatized an individual be seen by most of society as a joke. I am glad that you brought this topic up aslo
I'd always thought the numbers of male rapes would be high, but I had no idea how high.

I wish there was something that could be done to make this all stop Sad
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
It's certainly a problem in the west that goes unnoticed. I've been saying this for a while. Both men and women have problems with rape and rape crisis but for different reasons. Women have because they were "asking for it", men because "they're men and can't be raped".

If many women don't report rapes, I can't imagine how many men do the same, only in higher numbers.

By the way, does this account prison rape?

I think men have a higher problem with paedophilia, for some strange reason paedophiles go after boys more often
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

It accounts for prison rape, which surprisingly was not that high. And if you read the entire article, it mentions that especially in juvenile prison, a vast majority of the males in prison were raped by female guards.
Creed, out of curiosity, are you a mandated reporter? I am, and it sucks: the idea of telling a recent victim that, because they have just told me they want to kill themselves, I have to shut down the only neutral "support" they get while being poked and prodded by forensics, and they get 5150 status.

Sorry to go off topic.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trans women banned from world chess LinuxGal 37 2860 October 15, 2023 at 10:10 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Women's Rights Lek 314 18490 April 25, 2023 at 5:22 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  [Serious] Woman raped while onlookers did nothing LadyForCamus 115 6136 October 19, 2021 at 5:17 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  [Serious] G-20 leaders, don’t forget the women’s rights advocates rotting in Saudi prisons WinterHold 47 2185 September 23, 2020 at 6:26 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Damned Women BrianSoddingBoru4 26 2219 December 19, 2019 at 6:00 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Among Matt Bevin's Pardons: Man who raped 9 year old girl Cecelia 1 407 December 14, 2019 at 1:59 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Saudi Arabia prohibits shorts for men and put a fine on wearing them ! WinterHold 34 4141 June 18, 2019 at 5:26 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  Bus Driver who raped 14-year old gets no Jail TIme Divinity 4 556 April 30, 2019 at 11:18 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  Alaska men caught on video Foxaèr 18 635 April 17, 2019 at 12:08 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Hillary Clinton - They ( black men) All look alike. onlinebiker 69 7689 November 3, 2018 at 4:34 pm
Last Post: GUBU