Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 11:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Necro Posting
Necro Posting
There's that nice little red strip at the end of old threads politely asking people to not necro post without good reason but it doesn't seem to be enough. Maybe the 30/30 rule about links should be applied here too and enforced automatically. The database contains post count, join date and last-post date so it wouldn't be much of a trick to tweak the software.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
RE: Necro Posting
I'm not getting what you are suggesting.
Simply disable the Post Reply button in software if it's an old thread and the user is under 30/30.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
We shall take that into consideration Devil
That would require user groups probably, and it's more trouble than it's worth. There'd probably be an equal number of rehash threads if it were completely disallowed.

What is your favorite video game?
What are you drinking?
What's your favorite dirty joke?
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(March 21, 2015 at 11:56 am)SteelCurtain Wrote: That would require user groups probably, and it's more trouble than it's worth. There'd probably be an equal number of rehash threads if it were completely disallowed.

What is your favorite video game?
What are you drinking?
What's your favorite dirty joke?

"What if you're wrong?"

"How can something come from nothing?"

Etc, etc....
(March 21, 2015 at 11:36 am)AFTT47 Wrote: Simply disable the Post Reply button in software if it's an old thread and the user is under 30/30.

I don't want to be the one to tell Losty if this idea comes to life Confused
(March 21, 2015 at 12:01 pm)LastPoet Wrote: "What if you're wrong?"

"How can something come from nothing?"

Etc, etc....

Yeah, but those are real necroposts, though. If a new user wanted to ask that question, we'd prefer they made a new thread, right?

But if they wanted to know what everyone's favorite video game is, we'd really prefer they resurrected the video game thread even if it's been more than 30 days since the last post, IMO. Or if they wanted to share their favorite microbrew, or if they wanted to make a thread for Atheist De-Motivational pics that occasionally lapses into necro territory.

I guess the list threads are the ones I'm talking about. The ones that aren't necessarily a discussion or linear.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Well, if you disable necroposting in the software, you're going to see more repeat threads, as newcomers want to discuss a topic that has fallen off the radar. Yes, you will be able to say, "There's eighteen threads on that, go look them up", but people join forums for discussion, not research.

I think necroposting is not necessarily a bad thing, so long as it's not being done to shitstir. Even necroing a good discussion from a year ago can be interesting, as it gives folks a chance to revisit the topic and see how their views might or might not have changed.

In somewhere between eight and twelve months, someone will post to this thread, 'WTF is "necroposting??" '

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Posting Pictures h4ym4n 2 1213 June 17, 2022 at 6:07 pm
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Posting format is different Catholic_Lady 36 3710 December 7, 2016 at 12:34 am
Last Post: Autumnlicious
  Anonymous posting Excited Penguin 101 12003 August 21, 2016 at 3:23 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Problem posting with Android 4.2 God of Mr. Hanky 12 3040 February 4, 2016 at 3:22 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Posting Links in OP rexbeccarox 4 2224 July 21, 2015 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Nope
  posting from phone simplemoss 5 2269 December 24, 2014 at 4:13 am
Last Post: Losty
  Posting Issue Jaysyn 11 3771 July 3, 2014 at 3:53 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Suggestion: Create a Necro thread holiday Brakeman 1 1296 January 1, 2014 at 6:07 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Trouble Posting to Some Threads Crossless2.0 4 2201 October 2, 2013 at 6:21 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Youtube videos not posting? TaraJo 14 4829 February 10, 2013 at 11:42 pm
Last Post: Tiberius