Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 9:36 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Memory
Memory
Some interesting information on memory. To me, it seems that there may be more questions rather than answers in this finding. Research on flatworms and their memory, originally thrown to the pits of pseudoscience, has surfaced again.

Quote:McConnell fed bits of trained flatworms to their untrained brethren. As a result, McConnell claimed, the untrained flatworms performed behaviors that the trained flatworms had previously learned.

Link
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
RE: Memory
So, if I'm reading this right, I need to be there when Hawking dies.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
If you are into 'long pig'. Wink Shades
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
I was not expecting to read a story that included Ted Kaczynski, a Simpsons reference, and tadpole tails with functioning eyes. Interesting research.

Also, a sincere thank you is in order. I'm always on the lookout for good writing that is also informative. I had never heard of The Verge before, but will have to add it to my 'Pulse' list.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  On the nature, reliability and abuses of memory. Whateverist 7 1248 August 29, 2016 at 4:02 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Relation Between Memory and Intelligence? Rhondazvous 13 3526 December 15, 2015 at 11:30 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  A Question About Memory Jenny A 25 3229 October 8, 2015 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: KUSA
  Ministry of Memory Distortions pocaracas 1 1961 August 28, 2012 at 10:09 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  Questions about memory Oldandeasilyconfused 5 3127 January 19, 2010 at 1:45 am
Last Post: TruthWorthy