Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 3:47 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Relation Between Memory and Intelligence?
Relation Between Memory and Intelligence?
It would seem that they are, if not the same thing, closely related. Don't we consider a person intelligent because they remember things they've read or experienced? does that mean people with Alzheimer's are stupid? Can a person with less memory still show intelligence with the thing he does remember?
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: Relation Between Memory and Intelligence?
Sadly, as I noted with Aunt Lois, no.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I used to know the answer to this, but I forgot.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Thats certainly part of what we consider when we consider intelligence.  We also consider abstract problem solving, "liquid intelligence", as in presenting a subject with some task or problem they would reasonably have no experience or memory of in order to see how they respond.

I think that you and I would consider a person with alzheimers impaired, ill...no?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I seem to recall that there is not a great link between long term memory and intelligence, but there is a significant link between short term working memory and intelligence, inasmuch as the ability to store more information in the (pardon the buffy speak) short-term storage tank brain thingy while accomplishing a task tends to facilitate quicker/more accurate completion of that task in a way that can be meaningfully defined as "intelligent"

That could all be total garbage too.

A quick google search does turn up a study that purports to show a fairly strong (r = .59) between intelligence and memory in a sample of 80 third graders with learning disabilities. So... extrapolate from that what you will!
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
(December 14, 2015 at 8:38 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Thats certainly part of what we consider when we consider intelligence.  We also consider abstract problem solving, "liquid intelligence", as in presenting a subject with some task or problem they would reasonably have no experience or memory of in order to see how they respond.

Alternatively, I can imagine a possible (but admittedly unlikely) scenario wherein a test subject solves some fiendishly complex problem, but immediately afterwards has no memory of having done so. A close example was Newton having solved the three body problem, but couldn't recall the solution or what he had done with his notes on the topic.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Well I have an excellent memory and lots of intelligence. So I would say yes.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
(December 14, 2015 at 8:31 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: Sadly, as I noted with Aunt Lois, no.
No, what? which question are you answering?
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

--Voltaire

(December 14, 2015 at 8:41 pm)TheRealJoeFish Wrote: I seem to recall that there is not a great link between long term memory and intelligence, but there is a significant link between short term working memory and intelligence, inasmuch as the ability to store more information in the (pardon the buffy speak) short-term storage tank brain thingy while accomplishing a task tends to facilitate quicker/more accurate completion of that task in a way that can be meaningfully defined as "intelligent"

That could all be total garbage too.

A quick google search does turn up a study that purports to show a fairly strong (r = .59) between intelligence and memory in a sample of 80 third graders with learning disabilities.  So... extrapolate from that what you will!

IOW, intelligence is determined more by a large RAM (say 7 trillion terabytes) than by our hard drive.

--Voltaire

I would say intelligence has more to do with the quality of associations you make, not your ability to recall a large quantity of memories on command.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Link between brain damage and religious fundamentalism established Fake Messiah 9 995 November 18, 2019 at 12:14 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Correlations between Intelligence & Interest Azu 6 1256 May 8, 2017 at 11:32 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  The connection between religion and neuropsychological processes in the human brain Aroura 9 2256 March 10, 2017 at 10:57 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  On the nature, reliability and abuses of memory. Whateverist 7 1239 August 29, 2016 at 4:02 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Intelligence. RozKek 47 4352 April 20, 2016 at 1:17 am
Last Post: robvalue
  An Evolutionary Connection Between Plants and Animals? Rhondazvous 2 1023 February 18, 2016 at 9:05 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Intelligence, Consciousness and Soul, oh my; Sy Montgomery's "The Soul of an Octopus" Whateverist 11 2165 February 2, 2016 at 11:10 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  A Question About Memory Jenny A 25 3217 October 8, 2015 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: KUSA
  Memory IATIA 3 1119 March 22, 2015 at 1:52 pm
Last Post: Cato
  Anyone knows the difference between BD Depressive epidode with pshychosis and Schizoaffective disorder? Meylis Delano Lawrence 5 1859 February 16, 2013 at 6:07 am
Last Post: Angrboda