Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 9:38 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello from the UK :)
Hello from the UK :)
Hello everyone,

I've been an a fervent Atheist since I was 18 (I'm now in my thirties) and before that I was a strong Christian who always defended it at school much to the annoyance of my predominantly Atheist friends. If I met them at a reunion now I'd really like to say "you were right about everything". I even remember the classroom at college I was in and where I was sitting when it finally clicked that there (probably) was no god.

Nowadays I'm having a lot of health problems and so am thinking more and more about my own mortality and everything that entails. Living in Britain there has never been - from my own experience at least - any intolerance of Atheism whatsoever; if anything I'd say it seems most people are Atheists here, or at least most people of my generation. So I've never felt any need to join a specifically Atheist site like this or even known of their existence. But a chance mention in a book I was reading about Atheism led me to seek one out because it would be nice be able to talk freely about Atheist ideas without fear of offending religious friends as would be the case on, say, Facebook.

I live with my parents who are still very strong, immovable Christians and for the most part we don't talk about it as both our views are so entrenched and in the end it always ends in tears. That said me and my dad are discussing Christianity at the moment, a rare event, after by chance I started reading a Christian book which looked interesting - C. S. Lewis' The Problem Of Pain - and actually found it quite a good argument for Christianity... just an aesthetically pleasing way of looking at it that lacks all of the usual arbitrariness of most of the stuff in the Bible. But in the end just because something looks good, doesn't make it any easier to believe and I am way too cynical and skeptical now to become a Christian again even if I wanted to (and a very small part of me does). Basically as soon as I pick up the Bible and see contradictions on every page, any fledgling interest in Christianity evaporates because it is just not believable. My dad gave me another book to read which he considers proof of Jesus' resurrection: "Who Moved The Stone?". I thought it was a good book but clearly heavily biased towards Christianity and therefore not entirely reliable. So I went looking for another one, written by an Atheist, just to be sure I was seeing all the arguments. I found one and it was a perfectly convincing, to me, non-supernatural explanation of events: "an old man's musings on Christianity" (or something like that) by an anonymous author (on Kindle). Since that nipped my fledgling interest in Christianity in the bud, my dad is now grudgingly reading it at my behest trying to counter its arguments, point by point. I'm sure he will counter all of them as that, unfortunately, is the way this game is played, but still I am glad he's reading it. It was a trade - I'm reading one of his.

So that's me really. I am an Atheist but I have a lot of Christian 'baggage' that I can't shake. My Atheist beliefs are the result of years of interest in psychology, neuroscience, and philosophy and they are a unique and hard-earned part of me that I don't want to lose, and that is part of the reason I'll always be biased against returning to Christianity. I hope on this site I'll be able to discuss some of my theories on the nature or consciousness etc and maybe find some kindred spirits and deep insights Smile

Thanks for listening Smile
RE: Hello from the UK :)
Welcome!
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
Welcome aboard.
I'm sure you'll do fine around here.
Hello, welcome to the forums!

If you're looking for discussion, there's plenty. I'm sure you'll find yourself at home here.
Hello and welcome!

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
Welcome

I hope you stick around!
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Terrific intro, emjay (I used to date a girl called that).  Looking forward to having you here.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Sure you can shake it. If your "baggage" you defend were Muslim or Hindu or Buddhist how less human would that make you?

If any religion in our species history were a cure to peace then why cant humans have it? Because the first thing most humans fail to accept is that we are not a separate species.

"Atheist" does not prevent you from dying, it is a position.

I hate that believers sell the stupid idea that you don't feel pain or can't fear death.

I do, just not in the same way.

I fear pain in a prolonged sense and would prefer something I didn't see coming. I also fear missing my loved ones and them missing me. But nature and fearing death is as stupid as fearing swatting a fly or the death of a bacteria.

Fearing pain is normal, missing loved ones is also normal. But none of that requires a comic book super hero or comic book super villain to explain.
Welcome aboard.
(April 3, 2015 at 5:25 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Sure you can shake it.

I'm even less sure of that now than before I came to this site. Just looking around at the way people on here talk about religion - call it 'irreverence' - is quite an uncomfortable feeling. I mean I get it but it is going to take some getting used to because I debate it but don't throw 'personal' insults at the God I was brought up to believe in. It might be therapeutic to do so but I don't think I'm ready to do that yet. I know Richard Dawkins argues against this misplaced reverence for all things religious but nonetheless out of respect at least for my own religious family I can't bring myself to directly insult god as an entity, even if I don't believe in him (but that reverence doesn't extend to capitalising any reference to him Wink ). So contrary to my expectations I think I might end up playing devil's advocate quite a bit in regard to Christianity, which might make me an outcast before I've even got my foot in the door. I hope not though.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Hello Hello loush 17 5973 December 13, 2010 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: theophilus
  Hello hello! DgyJff 8 3637 August 30, 2010 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: RachelSkates