Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 12:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I feel like the Left have failed to address Islam
I feel like the Left have failed to address Islam
In the UK, the Left wing is the Labour party. I've always leaned that way, but recently I am of the opinion that they have failed to address Islam. Any criticism of Islam is deemed ''Islamophobic'' and ''racist'': not only does this stifle free-speech but it has created a culture of fear, nobody can criticize Islam without being labelled a bigot.

Newspaper like The Guardian pander to Islam and preach that there is nothing wrong with it, but it's far from true. As an Atheist, I've often sided with the Left because they seem less religious but in regards to Islam, I feel let-down. Whenever I criticize it, I'm labelled a right-wing nut job.

Anyone else feel this way?
RE: I feel like the Left have failed to address Islam
"Address Islam" sounds like "The Jewish Problem"

I agree that Islam as an idea needs to be put under scrutiny , but human beings have rights regardless of what religion they belong to. No Muslims should not be demanding to be free from criticism.
(April 4, 2015 at 3:53 pm)Brian37 Wrote: "Address Islam" sounds like "The Jewish Problem"

I agree that Islam as an idea needs to be put under scrutiny , but human beings have rights regardless of what religion they belong to. No Muslims should not be demanding to be free from criticism.

Exactly.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Quite a lot depends on both the nature and scope of the criticism we are discussing.  If, for example, one blames all Muslims for the practices of a few Muslims, that is like blaming all Christians, for the practices of a few Christians, or all members of some group, for the practices of a few members of the group.  Islam, like Christianity, is not a monolithic religion in which everyone agrees about everything.  Islam, like Christianity, is made up of a wide range of different sects, often extremely opposed to each other.  So blaming all of them for the beliefs and practices of one sect is unjust and unreasonable, and likely due to being racist and Islamophobic.  Or just having shit for brains.

Quite a lot of the criticisms of Islam that one encounters are people expressing racist and Islamophobic ideas.  "Quite a lot," of course, does not mean all.  But with some people, it seems to be that all of their criticisms are racist and Islamophobic.

As for you in particular, you would have to tell us what your criticisms are, in order for us to know if you are racist and Islamophobic or not.

One can say that Islam is not supported by the evidence, just like all other religions, such as Christianity.  That can be said of all of Islam, but one cannot accurately say that all of Islam supports destroying archaeological artifacts.  Someone saying the second of these is likely racist or Islamophobic or has shit for brains (or all three).

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
There are quite a few who lump all Muslims together, and quite a few Muslims who take any criticism as bigotry. Both extremes need to move to the middle if real issues are going to be addressed.

(April 4, 2015 at 4:29 pm)Pyrrho Wrote: Quite a lot depends on both the nature and scope of the criticism we are discussing.  If, for example, one blames all Muslims for the practices of a few Muslims, that is like blaming all Christians, for the practices of a few Christians, or all members of some group, for the practices of a few members of the group.  Islam, like Christianity, is not a monolithic religion in which everyone agrees about everything.  Islam, like Christianity, is made up of a wide range of different sects, often extremely opposed to each other.  So blaming all of them for the beliefs and practices of one sect is unjust and unreasonable, and likely due to being racist and Islamophobic.  Or just having shit for brains.

Quite a lot of the criticisms of Islam that one encounters are people expressing racist and Islamophobic ideas.  "Quite a lot," of course, does not mean all.  But with some people, it seems to be that all of their criticisms are racist and Islamophobic.

As for you in particular, you would have to tell us what your criticisms are, in order for us to know if you are racist and Islamophobic or not.

One can say that Islam is not supported by the evidence, just like all other religions, such as Christianity.  That can be said of all of Islam, but one cannot accurately say that all of Islam supports destroying archaeological artifacts.  Someone saying the second of these is likely racist or Islamophobic or has shit for brains (or all three).

Hope you were not accusing anyone here of saying criticism of Islam is racist or "Islamophobic".

Of course attack the IDEA of any religion INCLUDING Islam, no one is saying give them a taboo. I am saying in the west we do have freedom and we don't presume guilt for any individual in the west REGARDLESS of religion. Humans still have rights. 
I meant the ideology. Many who try to criticize Islam are labeled bigots
The trick there is to criticize all religions.

But right now, the muslims are the worst of the lot.
(April 4, 2015 at 4:29 pm)Pyrrho Wrote: Quite a lot depends on both the nature and scope of the criticism we are discussing.  If, for example, one blames all Muslims for the practices of a few Muslims, that is like blaming all Christians, for the practices of a few Christians, or all members of some group, for the practices of a few members of the group.  Islam, like Christianity, is not a monolithic religion in which everyone agrees about everything.  Islam, like Christianity, is made up of a wide range of different sects, often extremely opposed to each other.  So blaming all of them for the beliefs and practices of one sect is unjust and unreasonable, and likely due to being racist and Islamophobic.  Or just having shit for brains.

Racism by definition is discrimination on the basis of race/colour of skin. Criticism of Islam has never been racist and it never will. Me saying that Islam, like Christianity is a barbaric, savage and intolerant death cult is not racist. It's my opinion on an ideology.

Is there bigotry towards Muslims as people? Yes. That exists. It's not racist, but it's vile. For example, if I said to ''you dirty Muslims'' --- that would be insulting, rude and vile. It could for example, offend Pakistani Muslims, but it would not directly be offending Pakistani Christians. It would offend white Muslims, Black Muslims, Olive-Skinned Muslims, etc. 

What would be racist is saying ''you Pakistanki's are stupid and inferior'' --- this is a vile attack on Pakistani's regardless of religion.

My opinion of Islam falls in line with Dawkins/Hitchens/Hirsi Ali, it's a vile, barbaric and intolerant ideology which poses a great threat to the world. 
(April 4, 2015 at 5:25 pm)TheMessiah Wrote: I meant the ideology. Many who try to criticize Islam are labeled bigots

Yes and they are idiots.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ghost Guns - one of the left's lies. onlinebiker 33 2101 June 23, 2021 at 5:11 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  [Serious] When you left theism, did you go Left? zwanzig 34 2207 April 22, 2021 at 11:04 am
Last Post: Ranjr
  Manipulation culture by left wingers Richi29 13 1098 July 24, 2020 at 5:57 am
Last Post: Porcupine
  Right is left WinterHold 2 604 February 8, 2020 at 8:31 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  What’s Left? BrianSoddingBoru4 48 3131 February 4, 2020 at 5:40 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Feel the Bern Yonadav 73 5557 March 29, 2019 at 12:22 pm
Last Post: Yonadav
  I like that American left are miserable Snora 82 6947 March 24, 2019 at 7:47 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Explain left and right to me (political terms) Macoleco 27 2186 February 19, 2019 at 11:38 pm
Last Post: LostLocke
  I’m sick of the far left too Losty 93 4036 November 27, 2018 at 11:17 pm
Last Post: Losty
  If right wingers are inbred, are left wingers full of AIDS? Raue8ur 1 480 November 20, 2018 at 6:50 am
Last Post: no one